Juneau: Brewery, glacier, and tram?

ozziebound

Can we do all three of those in one day while on a celebrity century stop? Which order should we do them?

Thanks!

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would do it in this order...if you've got a rare, blue sky day. 1. Tram... 2. Mendenhall...3 Brewery.

If the weather is bad...with low clouds....I would skip the tram and head out to Mendenhall. Take the walk to Nugget Falls...and then on the way back to town... have a cool drink or two at the brewery!icon12.gif

Edited by cruizinator

I would do it in this order...if you've got a rare, blue sky day. 1. Tram... 2. Mendenhall...3 Brewery.

If the weather is bad...with low clouds....I would skip the tram and head out to Mendenhall. Take the walk to Nugget Falls...and then on the way back to town... have a cool drink or two at the brewery!icon12.gif

I agree! Last time, it was rainy in the morning but it cleared up to bright sunshine in the afternoon, so we were able to ride the tram later in the day.

Can we do all three of those in one day while on a celebrity century stop? Which order should we do them?

What is your time in port? Will you have a rental car, or will you be using the shuttle bus to glacier and the brewery shuttle to their site? Lots of back and forth to town if using the shuttles.

Tram tickets are always available at the tram, so I'd highly recommend NOT buying your tram tickets from the ship so you can make a game-time decision based on weather. That said, if the weather is nice, take the tram.

Last cruise, we ran into a pair of women who were doing a NB/SB back-to-back. Their plan was to shop their way north, and excursion their way south (having asked "everyone" what they liked on the way NB). We said "great idea, BUT since the weather is nice today here in Juneau, take the tram NOW in case you have bad weather next week".

Tram tickets are always available at the tram, so I'd highly recommend NOT buying your tram tickets from the ship so you can make a game-time decision based on weather. That said, if the weather is nice, take the tram.

We said "great idea, BUT since the weather is nice today here in Juneau, take the tram NOW in case you have bad weather next week".[

I've been to Alaska 3 times. Still waiting for good "tram" weather in Juneau. Gonna give it another try next May!

We're in port in Juneau 7 am to 6 pm. We have a Mendenhall Glacier float trip scheduled from 11 am to 2:30 pm, and back on board time is 5:30 pm. Assuming the weather is decent, do you think we'll have time to do the tram after the float trip? Many thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks for all your responses.

We'll be in Juneau from 7:30am to 8pm. We don't plan on renting a car. It seems like the blue shuttle to mendenhall and the brewery shuttle are both fine ideas.

Morning tram if the weather is good looks to be the main advice here.

Do it in the afternoon if morning clouds clear up?

Thanks again

Adam

Thanks for all your responses.

We'll be in Juneau from 7:30am to 8pm. We don't plan on renting a car. It seems like the blue shuttle to mendenhall and the brewery shuttle are both fine ideas.

Morning tram if the weather is good looks to be the main advice here.

Do it in the afternoon if morning clouds clear up?

Thanks again

Adam

You have plenty of time, but there aren't any brewery tours any longer. The brewery shuttle is a sample option.

IF you want another option and not adverse to walking, you can go direct Mendenhall/Alaskan Brewery via city bus for $2pp. Shuttle bus is $10pp one way, just for the glacier. Fare would be $4 one way for both, with a 1 mile walk to the Mendenhall bus stop.

We're in port in Juneau 7 am to 6 pm. We have a Mendenhall Glacier float trip scheduled from 11 am to 2:30 pm, and back on board time is 5:30 pm. Assuming the weather is decent, do you think we'll have time to do the tram after the float trip? Many thanks for your thoughts.

Yes you have time for the tram both before and after. But, I do have to comment- the float trip is a so so tour at best for "Alaska". It's a river flowing away from Mendenhall, so your views are not of the glacier, it's of back yards. There are far better, scenic, float tours to take, frankly. Grossly superior if you are fixed on Mendenhall, are kayak rentals or the canoe tours, which view the glacier.

Edited by Budget Queen

This will be our first time in Alaska and 1st cruise. Should we book the bus ride to the Glacier now or wait until we're in Juneau?

You don't prebook the Mendenhall Shuttle buses. Just purchase your ticket at the dock booths and board. $20pp round trip. They run until about 6pm

Edited by Budget Queen

I agree with cruizinator..........we skipped the tram due to low clouds and misty rain. Did Medenhall Glacier with some sprinkles in the area and did the Nugget Falls hike on a paved trail......worth the visit!

For sure brews towards the end of day!;)

Yes you have time for the tram both before and after. But, I do have to comment- the float trip is a so so tour at best for "Alaska". It's a river flowing away from Mendenhall, so your views are not of the glacier, it's of back yards. There are far better, scenic, float tours to take, frankly. Grossly superior if you are fixed on Mendenhall, are kayak rentals or the canoe tours, which view the glacier.
I've done whitewater rafting before (okay, it's been a number of years:p) but I'm not comfortable with kayaking or canoeing. This one is in my comfort zone.:)

I've done whitewater rafting before (okay, it's been a number of years:p) but I'm not comfortable with kayaking or canoeing. This one is in my comfort zone.:)

The Taiya River is WAY superior. Neither are white water, they are float trips.

The canoe is GUIDED, you don't even have to paddle and the trip is ALL glacier viewing. You remain on Mendenhall Lake.

Edited by Budget Queen