Hubbard Glacier Viewing on Millennium

larcklorn

We are on the June 27th cruise and will at Hubbard on June 28th (southbound). Itinerary has us there sometime between 2pm and 6pm. What are some of the best places on the ship to view the glacier from?

Truthfully, anywhere on the open decks. But for the approach, they open the bow helipad. It was cold, but well worth it. They do give you coffee and blankets. You can also go up to the top deck where a glass barrier blocks the glacier wind and its a little warmer.

Hubbard is located at the head of Disenchantment Bay. The ship will approach Hubbard fairly slowly depending on the ice conditions in the bay on that particular day, and only one ship at a time will be approaching. How close the Millennium will be able to approach Hubbard will depend on the ice, which is calving off of the glacier. In 2011 a HAL ship actually hit a piece of ice in Disenchantment Bay and had some limited damage. Once the Millennium reaches the closest point they will try to rotate the ship 360 degrees.

Hubbard is one of the most interesting of our glaciers as it is actually advancing while most glaciers, such as those in Glacier Bay, are retreating (i.e., becoming smaller). Also, look for bears along the waterline as the ship is moving through Disenchantment Bay. I've been to Hubbard several times, and while in Disenchantment Bay I have the strangest feeling that we are going back in time -- I feel that instead of looking for bears along the waterline I may see dinosaurs instead! It is almost a "zen" experience.

We sailed Hubbard Glacier on June 29th last year. Due to the unusual heat last year, there was a lot of melting and calving. We couldn't get close enough to see the calving though - 3 or 5 miles away (may have been as far as 7 I can't remember right now). Lots of ice in the water and we had to go really slow. As you are going through the ice though, listen - it sounds like Rice Krispies in milk (you know - snap, crackle, pop). It was really cool! The day we were there, it was really warm, but the "adult" hot chocolate was still really good! I was having a hard time hearing the naturalist when I was at the front of the ship, so I went down to my balcony and was able to hear better down there. I wasn't really impressed with him though. He seemed to be repeating a lot of things - maybe because we had to go so slowly and he ran out of material?

It was an experience to remember though! Soooooooooooooooo beautiful. I didn't think to look for bears! I was too busy watching the ice bergs and listening to the snap, crackle, pop! (Did see some otters and some seals though.)

We got pretty close to the glacier in early June 2010. Witnessed some good calfing. Keep an eye on some of the pack ice as the ship slowly approached the glacier. We got to see an new born seal and its mom.

Here are some pictures of the great Hubbard glacier, first week of June in 2012 onboard the beautiful Radiance of the Seas. We've sailed the Millennium a couple of times, and it is quite similar regarding view options.

I hope these pictures give you some ideas. In my opinion the pooldeck offers the best views. You can easily walk to all sides of the ship to make the best pictures of the glacier. I recommend the bow only when entering the bay. After the ship has entered, the captain will use the azi-pods to turn the ship 360 degrees (if weather / ice permits).

Entering the bay from the top deck, above the bridge.

P1010827.jpg

P1010867.jpg

Use the upper pooldeck and enjoy the best views

P1010935.jpg

Or use your balcony (#7676 aft cabin), but only for a short time because of the movement of the ship.

P1010936.jpg

P1010942.jpg

Edited by Sheik

Here are some pictures of the great Hubbard glacier, first week of June in 2012 onboard the beautiful Radiance of the Seas. We've sailed the Millennium a couple of times, and it is quite similar regarding view options.

I hope these pictures give you some ideas. In my opinion the pooldeck offers the best views. You can easily walk to all sides of the ship to make the best pictures of the glacier. I recommend the bow only when entering the bay. After the ship has entered, the captain will use the azi-pods to turn the ship 360 degrees (if weather / ice permits).

Entering the bay from the top deck, above the bridge.

P1010827.jpg

P1010867.jpg

Use the upper pooldeck and enjoy the best views

P1010935.jpg

Or use your balcony (#7676 aft cabin), but only for a short time because of the movement of the ship.

P1010936.jpg

P1010942.jpg

Wow, we sailed on Millennium SB on June 8, 2012 and could not get anywhere near that close to the glacier on our trip. I think we turned at 5 miles. Just by looking at your pictures the water is relatively free of ice whereas we encountered huge ice blocks floating with seals playing around on them

Wow, we sailed on Millennium SB on June 8, 2012 and could not get anywhere near that close to the glacier on our trip. I think we turned at 5 miles. Just by looking at your pictures the water is relatively free of ice whereas we encountered huge ice blocks floating with seals playing around on them

I just checked the timestamp on my pictures, we visited the glacier on the 17th of June. We got a little bit concerned when we heard a rumor that the week before a Celebrity ship didn't make it very close....

Edited by Sheik

Here are some pictures of the great Hubbard glacier, first week of June in 2012

Mr. Sheik,

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting. We will be there this year on June 14th. :)

I just checked the timestamp on my pictures, we visited the glacier on the 17th of June. We got a little bit concerned when we heard a rumor that the week before a Celebrity ship didn't make it very close....

I finally was able to resize a picture.

IMG_2050.jpg.50014a2abcb3b67d7145d4accf9682d8.jpg

Mr. Sheik,

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting. We will be there this year on June 14th. :)

You're very welcome. I think that you've picked a very good time to cruise in Alaska. In 2012 the scenic mountain roads were open in the first week of June, some famous goldmine sites were still closed. But the weather was great, hardly no rain and wind. It's still Alaska ofcourse. I would go in the same period again.

We did a 6 days landvacation and started in Anchorage.