Bed Sizes in London Hotels

We'll be staying in London post cruise for 4 nights, along with another couple. Due to their heights they are uncomfortable sleeping in anything smaller than what is considered a queen size bed in the USA (60" x 80"). Bed sizes in the UK are confusing us.

I had already booked a room at the Premier Inn-Victoria for my dh and I, but before they commit they wanted to know how large the beds are. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to email the hotel directly.

They (our friends) were also curious about the sizes of the beds at the Z Hotel, which is also close to the Victoria train and coach stations. They have something called an 'inside Queen' room, which I'm hoping has a larger bed than an 'inside Double'.

Does anyone have any experience with these 2 hotels? This issue has started to stress me out a little. I'm trying to keep us close to the Victoria Coach Station as our plan is to take National Express from Southampton to London after the cruise.

We'll be staying in London post cruise for 4 nights, along with another couple. Due to their heights they are uncomfortable sleeping in anything smaller than what is considered a queen size bed in the USA (60" x 80"). Bed sizes in the UK are confusing us.

I had already booked a room at the Premier Inn-Victoria for my dh and I, but before they commit they wanted to know how large the beds are. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to email the hotel directly.

If you use the URL link below, it will take you directly to the Victoria property of the Premier Inn chain. On the right side of the web page, scan down to the end of the paragraph of text and you'll find lots of links including an email one. This link will bring up a form that will send your email to the property. There's also a FAX number provided if you have access to a FAX machine.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LKEBAR/london-victoria

Tried the email link. That doesn't actually go to the hotel. It only lets you send the hotel info to another person.

Sorry to read this. Have you tried the FAX number at that web site? Even if you don't own a FAX machine, you'd be able to send a FAX from a place like Staples. That might help you get past your roadblock.

I do want to ask one question: What evidence do you have that bed size in London is not what's familiar in the US?

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

When our friend brought up the issue of bed sizes I googled bed sizes just to get dimensions for double v. queen, and found different listings for beds in the UK. Such as what we call Queen in the US, is considered a King in the UK. On a couple of hotel sites I found ranges of widths for double beds.

When our friend brought up the issue of bed sizes I googled bed sizes just to get dimensions for double v. queen, and found different listings for beds in the UK. Such as what we call Queen in the US, is considered a King in the UK. On a couple of hotel sites I found ranges of widths for double beds.

You are right as to the fact that the beds in the UK are different than the US. After many years of experience with trying to figure out and book hotels and B & Bs in the UK, here is what I have figured out. If you want a US Queen-size bed, you need to book a King in the UK. If you want a US King-size bed (which we always do), find a room that says either "Super-King" or "Twin/Double". This means that they have twin beds that they push together and make up as one bed (just like on a cruise ship). The length is the same but because it is wider, my DH can sleep slightly angled and I still have plenty of room! You do have to request that they be made up as one bed but most booking sites have a place for comments. If not, then ask when you arrive.

If you book a Queen in the UK, it will be similar to our double bed in the US and won't be as roomy for those who are used to a larger bed.

Hope this helps -- enjoy your cruise and your stay in London.

Billie

Super king beds in London are wider than our kings however due to the small rooms in anything but some top hotels they may take up most of the room.

Make sure when you get the size of the bed to also get the size of the room.

You are right as to the fact that the beds in the UK are different than the US. After many years of experience with trying to figure out and book hotels and B & Bs in the UK, here is what I have figured out. If you want a US Queen-size bed, you need to book a King in the UK. If you want a US King-size bed (which we always do), find a room that says either "Super-King" or "Twin/Double". This means that they have twin beds that they push together and make up as one bed (just like on a cruise ship). The length is the same but because it is wider, my DH can sleep slightly angled and I still have plenty of room! You do have to request that they be made up as one bed but most booking sites have a place for comments. If not, then ask when you arrive.

If you book a Queen in the UK, it will be similar to our double bed in the US and won't be as roomy for those who are used to a larger bed.

Hope this helps -- enjoy your cruise and your stay in London.

Billie

My experience has been somewhat different which is why I posed the question. Twenty to thirty years ago, I used to find that European beds were different sizes compared to US beds, but I haven't found that to be the case in a long time.

When we booked a king-sized bed in the Crown Plaza Kensington, we checked in last week and got a king-sized bed that any US customer would recognize. Admittedly, since Crown Plaza is a member of the Holiday Inn family of hotels this shouldn't be surprising. More useful is the fact that last year, when we stayed at Montague on the Garden, a British hotel property, this was also true. Our room included a king-sized bed identical to any US king. Staying in Paris last week at Hotel Atmosphere, we also booked a king-sized bed and got just that. A familiarly-sized king size bed. Of course, it consumed most of the room, but we were willing to walk carefully around the room for the sleeping comfort.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Super king beds in London are wider than our kings however due to the small rooms in anything but some top hotels they may take up most of the room.

Make sure when you get the size of the bed to also get the size of the room.

We have a Western or California King and it is 6 feet wide by 7 feet long (72" X 84") so that is why I said that 2 twin beds pushed together is the same width as ours. Yours in the East are smaller than the Super Kings in UK but I was comparing it to what we have out west. I thought, however, that your king beds in the east measured 76" X 80" so now I'm thoroughly confused :D.

Some of the chain hotels in London do try to have the same size beds as we do in the US, but others are still different.

Billie

our bed sizes are smaller than in USA

A double bed-standard in most hotels including Premier Inn is 54 inches wide

king size ie 60 inches wide-rare

unheard of in UK Super-71 inches

We have had no trouble finding hotels and/or B and Bs with Super King Beds. In fact, we will be going to Southampton next month to board a cruise and we will stay in a Guest House that had several rooms with Supers in them. When we return to Southampton after the cruise, we will join British friends of ours for a 3-night stay in the New Forest area near Southampton and again, we found a B & B with Super Kings for both couples.

We haven't stayed in the North of England for a while so maybe it is harder to find up there :confused:.

Billie