Single Parent Dining Question

Cdnbarrieguy

Hi there. I just booked a last minute cruise on the Fantasy for the June 28th sailing. My girlfriend, son and I actually did the Maiden Voyage of the Fantasy in 2012. Now single - it's just myself and my 9yo son.

I can't remember if I saw tables for 2 in the MDR. Just wondering - will they seat us with other people? Or just the two of us?

Pretty pumped for the cruise. Ended up paying less for a veranda then when the inside costs as their was still these GTY fares left. Checking daily to see what cabin we get LOL

Any other thoughts/suggestions for a 35yo single dad would be great - was thinking of trying Palo or Remy but I just can't do it by myself LOL

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there. I just booked a last minute cruise on the Fantasy for the June 28th sailing. My girlfriend, son and I actually did the Maiden Voyage of the Fantasy in 2012. Now single - it's just myself and my 9yo son.

I can't remember if I saw tables for 2 in the MDR. Just wondering - will they seat us with other people? Or just the two of us?

Pretty pumped for the cruise. Ended up paying less for a veranda then when the inside costs as their was still these GTY fares left. Checking daily to see what cabin we get LOL

Any other thoughts/suggestions for a 35yo single dad would be great - was thinking of trying Palo or Remy but I just can't do it by myself LOL

Thanks!

Chances are you will be seated with others for dinner. Unless you call DCL and request to be seated alone (if that's what you want). DCL generally does an excellent job of matching similarly composed groups for dinner, so you would most likely be seated with other single parents with kids or families with kids in the same age range as yours.

I will point out that requesting to be seated alone may or may not be done, depending on the seating restrictictions/availability in the Main Dining Rooms.

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. Yea - we were hoping to be seated with others. Thanks again

One thing I'll mention, if you are booked in Concierge, you will automatically be seated alone. Unless you request to be seated with others.

I have always cruised as a single parent. If I made no requests, there were various permutations.

There are no 2 top tables. If you request, the two of you can be seated as "just us" at a 4 top.

No request--we'be been with 2 parent families and a child of similar age, a table of 8 where each was a single mother/grandmother with similar age and gender child, and when she became a teen, at tables with other adults. We've also had a table for 4 with another single mom/daughter.

Basically, it is a matter of what you want--just let DCL know by calling them!

I have always cruised as a single parent. If I made no requests' date=' there were various permutations.

There are no 2 top tables. If you request, the two of you can be seated as "just us" at a 4 top.

No request--we'be been with 2 parent families and a child of similar age, a table of 8 where each was a single mother/grandmother with similar age and gender child, and when she became a teen, at tables with other adults. We've also had a table for 4 with another single mom/daughter.

Basically, it is a matter of what you want--just let DCL know by calling them![/quote']

Awesome info. Much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you think you want to try the specialty restaurants, I say go for it! I travel as a single parent with my children and I did brunch solo at Palo and it was a highlight of the cruise. I was able to enjoy a delicious meal, chill out, and relax without having to make small talk with strangers, read menus for kids, help them decide, cut food, etc. I didn't have to worry about my kids. They had lunch on the pool deck and then went back to the clubs (where they spent nearly the entire cruise.)

Thanks!

Call and ask to be seated at a table by yourselves. We have never had a problem having our request honoured. We do it each cruise.

I went in 2013 with just my son and I and were seated with same demographic patent as well it was a mom and daughter team and a grandfather grandson team. It was awesome actually went for palo brunch with the adults.

Good luck and you will do well! I travel too with my girls and after the "where's Mom?" question...it goes well. :-) I would be interested to know how many single Mom's get asked the "where's Dad?" question. Just glad to see there are other dedicated fathers out there.

• 1 year later...

bumping this up... MY TA is going to put us at a large table with other single parents, but I guess I would like other families, along as the kids are the same age.... so we will have to see what happens. What has everyone's experience traveling single with kids and being placed at a table by Disney?

bumping this up... MY TA is going to put us at a large table with other single parents, but I guess I would like other families, along as the kids are the same age.... so we will have to see what happens. What has everyone's experience traveling single with kids and being placed at a table by Disney?

Disney is very good about matching dining companions. Most of the time they will be seat you with others with same age children. Not necessarily single parent, though, but it could be.

We've been seated with families with a same age kid, at a table with 4 clusters of 2 (all girls cruising with mom, grandma, or aunt), etc. Any combination is possible and DCL does a great job of making it work.

If you have an issue the first night, let the head server know. You'll be moved before the second night.

I'm a single parent about to go on our 5th DCL cruise. We've always been placed at a table with others. First cruise we were placed with another family who had girls about the same age as my daughter. They were awesome and we had a great time.

The other times, I've "met" people ahead of time on the cruise meets thread. I would suggest finding yours and maybe finding another family with kids close in age to your own. This has worked well for me and we've enjoyed those families also.

I would also second the suggestion about doing Palo brunch solo. I've done it and really enjoyed it. I've also invited the adult table mates from dinner to join me and that worked also.

Prepare to be hooked!

I took a cruise once as a single parent. My husband was going to be away for a week, and I got a last minute offer for a DCL Mexican cruise, so I took our 2 kids and went. Since we booked last minute, of course they assigned us to late seating, because early seating was full. I made sure we were among the first people onboard and I went straight to dining changes and requested early seating. They did so, putting us with an extended family (parents, grandparents, 2 kids about the age of my children) and it worked out reasonably well.

And yes, I did get asked 'Where's Dad?' but only at dinner. Anywhere else around the ship, no one mentioned it, likely because they thought he was roaming the ship elsewhere.

Edited by helenb