Anniversary in Marseille: Help with suggestions

jakartatom

We would take the train (or local bus) up to Aix en Provence....walk around the city and admire the Roman Theater/ruins, and then have a romantic lunch at one of the restaurants located along the Cours Mirabeau.

Hank

Marseille is a lovely city, particularly round the old port area, and given the limited time available, I would recommend you concentrate on that.

The Marseilles cruise port is some distance from the city, however is fairly easily reached by public bus. There is a clearly marked pathway to the bus stop from the port area, maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk. The bus finishes at the Joliette square. Look down the side streets to the right and you will see the Cathedral spires, walk in that direction, and beyond that is the old port area. From the port area you can catch a bus loop that takes you to the big church on the hill for unforgettable views over Marseille. Your e1.80 ticket is good for an hour so you may even be able to use it for that purpose.

To catch the bus [No.35 to Estaque Riaux] back to the ship, note that it leaves from the opposite side of the square than the spot you arrived,

Also, because your stop on the way back is on the opposite side of a major road system, take note of the names of the stops prior to getting off...

each bus stop has a name, and the ones leading to your get-off point are Littoral Mouren, Littoral Beausejour, Littoral Bernabo, Littoral Cap Janet, then get off at Littoral Gourret, cross over the bridge over the highway, and there is the pathway back to the ship.

The No. 35 buses leave approx 20 minutes apart.

Enjoy your day in lovely Marseille.

While Marseilles is a nice enough place, I am not sure I would go there for a "memorable" anniversary. I agree with Hank, go to Aix. It's a great little place to walk around and have a nice meal.

• 3 weeks later...

I would stay in Marseille and have lunch in the very pretty Vallon de Auffes which has a Michelin-starred restaurant and two other good ones. http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille/what-to-see/vallon-des-auffes

Or take the boat shuttle to the Island and Ratonneau (it's one of the Frioul Islands near the Chateau d'If) and have lunch on the harbour there. Aix doesn't have a Roman theatre, BTW. Actually it's surprisingly short of Roman remains altogether apart from the remnants of the baths.