How often does a cruise get canceled due to...

pudy68

illness (repeated norovirus outbreaks, etc)?

I'm hearing the woes aboard the Liberty and we are set to sail on Saturday. If this third cruise comes back with the illness still flourishing, what's their procedure? Would they delay embarking for extra deep cleaning, or would they cancel the itinerary to try to break the cycle?

I know they have been doing extra cleaning since the outbreak started in May, but it hasn't stemmed the tide, as far as I've been able to read on these boards. What do you think???

Someone will chime in if they know otherwise, but I have not heard of them cancelling an entire cruise due to noro. It would be a lot of lost revenue for Carnival. I have heard stories about delayed embarkation for them to do a DEEP cleaning of the ship quite a few times. I am not sure if Carnival does, but I have heard on other lines that if its code red (major noro outbreak) they will have someone handing out everything and no self serve (i.e. at the buffet). Knock on wood, but I have not had to deal with the experience. (But I did have noro or something similar a few months ago at home and I would not wish it on ANYONE. It was not a normal 24 hour bug, it was powerful).

Like the previous poster said, norovirus, salmonella and the like are WAY more than a bad tummy ache. But I don't think a cruise would be cancelled...maybe delayed boarding while the cleaning was in progress. You are talking about millions of lost revenue for a cancelled cruise. Just pack your hand sanitizer and some surface sanitizer wipes and clean your room well when you arrive. Have fun, enjoy your cruise.

A cruise is not likely to be cancelled due to a noro outbreak on the previous cruise. There could be 3,4,5 conseccutive cruise's that have a noro outbreak. The thing to remember is after each outbreak the ship goes through an extended deep cleaning, the reason noro breaks out again is because someone on the next cruise brings it onboard with them.

Sure cancelling a cruise in theory could break the cycle but, the next time the ship sails noro can still be brought onboard by a passenger.

Cruises have been cancelled, but I've yet to hear it yet happen on Carnival. It's usually Princess for some reason, and one Disney I remember. It's usually after they've announced that they've done a complete a rubdown of an "infected" ship, sent it out, and the illnesses continue.

Like the previous poster said, norovirus, salmonella and the like are WAY more than a bad tummy ache. But I don't think a cruise would be cancelled...maybe delayed boarding while the cleaning was in progress. You are talking about millions of lost revenue for a cancelled cruise. Just pack your hand sanitizer and some surface sanitizer wipes and clean your room well when you arrive. Have fun, enjoy your cruise.

Unfortunately, hand sanitizer and regular surface wipes don't kill Noro. I'm always leery of germs when on a cruise! I guess there's not much you can do, except wash hands regularly and don't touch stair railings, etc. The buffet always icks me but what can you do....

We will be on the Liberty in August so hope that this issue is all resolved. A few years ago we were sailing on the Celebrity Equinox and knew that the last sailing had the virus. We could not board early as usual and the cabins were not ready until 5:00 PM. In the buffet everything was handed to you until lunch on the 3rd day when it all went back to normal. I laughed when we were on NCL and they sprayed your hands every time you went into the buffet and said washy washy, but I think they had the right idea.

Never use hand sanitizer. It kills the good germs that your body uses in it's autoimmune system. Some states are finally taking the stuff off the market.

Never use hand sanitizer. It kills the good germs that your body uses in it's autoimmune system. Some states are finally taking the stuff off the market.

Thank you for that! I work for a company that sells safety supplies and even we know that the stuff does not work that well and it kills all the good bacteria that helps to fight the bad bacteria.

Case in point.... my BIL & SIL and their family use hand sanitizer like it is going out of style. They carry it with them all the time and use is continuously. Well, in the past year they have all gotten some type of bug or another several times. My DH & I neither one use the stuff and we have both been disgustingly healthy the past year.

You figure it out! ;)

Thank you for that! I work for a company that sells safety supplies and even we know that the stuff does not work that well and it kills all the good bacteria that helps to fight the bad bacteria.

Case in point.... my BIL & SIL and their family use hand sanitizer like it is going out of style. They carry it with them all the time and use is continuously. Well, in the past year they have all gotten some type of bug or another several times. My DH & I neither one use the stuff and we have both been disgustingly healthy the past year.

You figure it out! ;)

I'm just sad that Carnuval succumbed to all the hype. They used to have PSA on their TV's as to WHY they didn't have the dispensers like the other lines did.

I threw the stuff out the day I learned about the horrors of Triclosan, and its affect on the female reproductive system, among other things.

Edited by TPFKAH

I'm just sad that Carnuval succumbed to all the hype. They used to have PSA on their TV's as to WHY they didn't have the dispensers like the other lines did.

I threw the stuff out the day I learned about the horrors of Triclosan, and its affect on the female reproductive system, among other things.

I refuse to use it on the ship from those dispensers. With all the alcohol in it, it really dries your hand out too. Plus, none of the hand sanitzers will do anything if Noro is running rampant. It has no effect on Noro. Neither do all those wipes folks are using to wipe down their rooms.

While norovirus is horrible, there are recent news reports showing that only 1% of norovirus is happening on cruises. The other 99% is on land. You certainly have good chance of catching it at a land based restaurant. Best advise is to wash your hands often. Try to keep your hands away from your eyes and mouth.

While norovirus is horrible, there are recent news reports showing that only 1% of norovirus is happening on cruises. The other 99% is on land. You certainly have good chance of catching it at a land based restaurant. Best advise is to wash your hands often. Try to keep your hands away from your eyes and mouth.

More like schools and hospitals, not restaurants.

The problem with the 1% on a cruise ship is it's like a pertrie dish, and can spread like wildfire.

illness (repeated norovirus outbreaks, etc)?

I'm hearing the woes aboard the Liberty and we are set to sail on Saturday. If this third cruise comes back with the illness still flourishing, what's their procedure? Would they delay embarking for extra deep cleaning, or would they cancel the itinerary to try to break the cycle?

I know they have been doing extra cleaning since the outbreak started in May, but it hasn't stemmed the tide, as far as I've been able to read on these boards. What do you think???

Did you see Cruise Critic's article today?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5872

It says only 1 percent of norovirus outbreaks occur on cruise ships according to CDC.

I don't think the problem lies in using hand sanitizer, I think that since you have crew, who get sick, who keep working, they just pass it on to the next folk. And they are still on the ship for the next sailing, etc, etc, so if you want to break a sickness cycle, change out the crew. And that's costs money.

So my question is if you are not feeling well a day or two prior to your cruise do you think you should cancel as a precaution? Let's say you had the stomache virus within 24 hours of your sail away. If you have insurance this would be covered most likely right? If you don't have insurance most would probably still go and that's how it spreads.

I also don't bother with hand sanatizer. I think it gives people false hope and they relax on what really helps which is properly washing your hands. As for Noro, I have had it twice, and both times were on land. Once I got it from my son who got it at school and once was a mystery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "supposed" outbreaks of Noro on the Liberty are being exaggerated by a few and have not risen to the level of a reportable incident to the CDC, according to their website.

In fact Carnival has not had a reportable incident of norovirus since the Glory in August of 2012.

The "supposed" outbreaks of Noro on the Liberty are being exaggerated by a few and have not risen to the level of a reportable incident to the CDC, according to their website.

In fact Carnival has not had a reportable incident of norovirus since the Glory in August of 2012.

That difference could be 59 to 60, based on 3000 passengers. How many are ill on this ship?