Dream Review - May 25th, 2014 - A Great Time!!

jmoak

Just got off the Dream last Sunday and thought that I would provide a review since the others I read were so helpful prior to our trip. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to respond per our experience.

This cruise was a 15 year anniversary trip for my wife and I – no kids. This was our 4th Carnival cruise and first time on the Dream and we had a blast. Neither one of us had really any complaints about anything!!

EMBARKATION – We live a little over an hour from New Orleans so we just drove over the day of departure. My in-laws dropped us off at the pier at around 10:30-10:45. We had to wait in the “car pool” line for probably 30 minutes or so before we could be dropped off as people were still departing from the previous cruise and others arriving. Once being dropped off it took maybe 5 minutes to get through security check point. They were very thorough with their checking of carry on baggage. We had a 12 pack of water and the guard pulled it out of my bag and turned it over and banged it on the counter looking for bubbles. Fortunately this trip all of my water was “pure” (last trip I would have be busted!!). They were also opening everyone’s 12 packs of sodas as well and then taping them back up. I heard from several people on board who had their alcohol confiscated prior to boarding!!

After getting through security we made our way to the line to receive our sail and sign cards. This took probably another 15 minutes or so and then it was time for us to wait for our zone (9) to be called. I think they started boarding with the priority/FTTF around 11:15 to 11:30 and it was about 12:15 that we were boarding the ship. I made my first trip to the Mongolian Wok station and my wife went to the pasta bar and we ate upstairs. There was hardly anyone up there during this time.

At about 1:30 we went to our room to check it out. I think we had one piece of luggage there at this time. It was my main suitcase and I was able to open it up and find that my 12 pack of Coors Light (inside the Coke case) had made it through.

Later in the evening the rest of our luggage made it to the room and in my wife’s suitcase I had me a “naughty” letter telling me they thought there was something suspicious and found it to be true after checking. They had found my “other” 12 pack of Coors Light and the letter said I could pick up the morning of debarkation, which I did.

STATEROOM – I had originally booked an inside under the Shore Excursion promotion but about 3 weeks prior to sailing the balcony guarantees were only $20 more than my original interior price so I decided to upgrade to balcony and surprise my wife. We were assigned cabin 2374 which is a cove balcony. I had read good things about the coves prior to the trip and anxiously anticipated getting in there and also seeing how my wife would act when she saw we had a balcony. It actually took her 2-3 minutes of being in the room to realize we had a balcony, but she was excited and couldn’t believe I had gotten us one (she knows of my “cheapness”). We really enjoyed the cove balcony. Although we didn’t spend a tremendous amount of time on it, it was nice to be able to step outside a couple of times a day and relax. It was great being so close to the water and what I enjoyed most was the shade that is provided by the life boats above. We never had any sun on the balcony (at least while I was out there). We were on the port side and were able to see the Carnival Legend pull up beside us and dock in Cozumel. I think I definitely like the cove balcony better than what I would a regular balcony. Hopefully, in the future the price will be in line with our budget and allow for another cove balcony.

The temperature in the room was fine. We kept it on as cold as it could be and it never was freezing but never was hot either. My wife would have liked it colder but it never was warm enough that she complained too much about it.

Our stateroom steward was Rahmi and she was really great. She always kept my ice chest full and kept our room straight each day. When we would see her during the day she would always call us by name.

FOOD – we were very pleased with most all of the food. We ate in the Dining Room all but one night and found it to be very good. We had Your Time Dining and we never had to wait at all for a table. We usually ate around 6-6:15 each night…I know there was one night we went later at around 7:30. The times that we went fairly early we were served all three courses in less than an hour. The night that we went at 7:30 it took about an hour and 15 minutes to complete the meal. So we were in and out in a very fast time. Our wait staff included Dalmacio our head waiter and Kadek our asst. waiter. They were fantastic and always very attentive. They kept our glasses full and were quick to bring us our next course when we were through with one. On several occasions I ordered multiple apps or entrees!!

For lunch we usually had the buffet and/or the specialty stations. We usually could find something that each of us would like at the buffet and the temperature of the food was always acceptable. I fell in love with the burrito bar and I think I had a burrito at least once every day. The line was not very long and they fix them quickly. I loved the grilled shrimp!! I also had the Mongolian Wok 3 times during the trip. Once on embarkation day and then on two of the port days when we arrived back a little early on the boat. Lines weren’t too bad each of those times, but it was long during the sea days so I skipped it. We only at the Pasta station one time. I also enjoyed the Tandoori station and got something off of it almost every day. I have never really had Indian Cuisine and it was very tasty. Also, there was hardly ever a line there either.

We ate pizza a couple of times late at night for a snack or during the day and it was good. I never had a burger but my wife did and she said it was pretty good. She really liked the French fries and has said every day since being home she was craving them. Also had the deli a couple of times as it is open from 11-11 each day. We never ate the Lanai BBQ. I just forgot about it the first two sea days and on our last one it was raining so they didn’t have it.

For breakfast the first few days we just did the buffet and I had me a made to order omelet that was delicious each day. Then on the 2nd sea day we went to the SeaDay Brunch and we both really loved it. I had steak and eggs and they were great. Went back again for the 3rd sea day as well. We won’t miss a SeaDay brunch again!!!

Ordered me a BLT with extra bacon from room service late one night and it was good as well.

Overall, we were very pleased with the food offerings and tastes. I don’t see how anyone could not find something they liked on this ship as there are so many options. I didn’t think the lines for anything including the buffet were really that bad ever. And if you were willing to walk and see what all was open you could easily find something available without much wait. I did see a long lines at the burger bar that is by the main pool on the Lido deck, but that is right where lots of people were while on the boat so that was understandable.

ENTERTAINMENT – I think we went to 3 different shows and were pleased with all of them. The Dancing in the Streets is a MUST. Amazing production with lots of great dancing and singing by the performers. We really liked the Fun Force Break Dancers and caught their show on the last sea day which is performed in the main atrium. People were on every floor to watch this performance. More people could view it if it were in the main performance lounge, but it is very interactive with the audience and I think it wouldn’t be as good if it were there. So, although the atrium makes it difficult for everyone to see, it probably is the best place for the effect…

We went to 2 different comedy shows and they were both very good as well. I can’t remember the two comedian’s names we saw. There was always a packed house for the comedy shows and people would like up to get in between 45 minutes to an hour before show time. We saw the lines a lot because we spent a good bit of our time in the evenings in the Piano Bar. Andy Pobjoy was the piano man and we really enjoyed him. Interacted very well with the crowd and has a tremendous library of songs with over 2000 choices. So, he was able to sing a wide variety of genres.

I also really enjoyed Chad who played in a couple of the lounge areas and around the pool on sea days. There was another performer, Troy, who I wasn’t as impressed with. Listened to the Blackjack band a little but they played a lot of country and that isn’t my favorite music type. They were good, but just not for me.

We also participated in a few of the trivia contests and won a ship on a stick in one of them.

Overall, we were very happy with the entertainment provided throughout the cruise.

PORTS OF CALL

Our first stop was Cozumel and we didn’t have anything planned specifically for the day. We got off the ship and checked out some of the shops at the pier. I located a couple of bottles of rum to purchase on the way back to the ship. We then strolled out of the pier and into Cozumel. After walking around for an hour or so we decided to rent a scooter which was pretty cheap at $35 for the day including insurance. We had only really been to Paradise Beach before while at Cozumel so we took the scooter around the entire island and were amazed at the beautiful water on the other sides of the island. We didn’t stop and enjoy the beaches anywhere because we weren’t really sure how much time it was going to take us to get around the entire island. Turned out we had plenty of time so next time we go we will actually take in the other side a little more. But it was great just riding on the scooter and checking out the views.

Our next port was Grand Caymans. This has turned out to be our favorite port as the water and scenery is just fantastic. We tendered at 9:00 and were in the lounge around 8:30 waiting. By being there at 8:30 we were able to be on the first tender to the port. We booked the Stingray and Snorkeling tour through Captain Marvins and it was great!! We had Captain Joe who is actually Capt. Marvins grandson. He is 21 years old but has been working with Capt Marvins all his life and was very knowledgeable. His deckhand was Dalroy and he was great as well. On the way back in he jumped off the boat while it was moving into the water and grabbed 3 starfish and brought them on board for everyone to take pictures with. The stingray adventure and snorkeling was the highlight of our trip. I highly recommend using Capt. Marvins for this tour. It is a very well run operation.

Our final stop was Montego Bay, Jamaica. We have been to Montego Bay once before and were not impressed. This time we decided to book the Canopy Tour through Carnival because neither one of us had ever zip lined before. We enjoyed the ziplining a lot. It did get a little warm being in the jungle walking up several hills and wearing all of the equipment, but actually zipping through the jungle was great!!

On a side note, if you are a rum drinker and are looking for best deals on different rums I found the prices on some types better in Cozumel while some were better in Grand Cayman. They prices in Jamaica at the port were not comparable at all. Even Appleton which is made in Jamaica was much cheaper in Grand Cayman (Appleton 12 year was $24 a bottle in Jamaica and only $16 in GC. Go figure)

More to come over the next couple of days…

Thanks for the review. We will be on this same sailing later this year.

I love the eastern side of Cozumel - a world away from where you dock it seems.

Thanks for all that info, we leave on june 29th, same ports. Did u book Captain Marvins excursion before joining the cruise pls or just sign up when u landed? did u feel safe going it alone in Cozumel - heard it could be dodgy...?

Thanks, P:p

Thanks so much for the upbeat review, we leave in three days and it was so nice to read a review that isn't bashing the ship or Carnival every other word. So glad you had a great trip, our weather isn't looking real good right now but hey go with the flow.. Thanks again;)

Thanks for all that info, we leave on june 29th, same ports. Did u book Captain Marvins excursion before joining the cruise pls or just sign up when u landed? did u feel safe going it alone in Cozumel - heard it could be dodgy...?

Thanks, P:p

I booked it about two weeks in advance. We didn't feel uncomfortable at all in Cozumel. Honestly for probably 80% of the trip you don't even see anyone. It is just greenery, beach and water. Now had our scooter broke down I may have felt uneasy. But the place we rented from seemed very reputable and we had contact info.

Thanks so much for the upbeat review, we leave in three days and it was so nice to read a review that isn't bashing the ship or Carnival every other word. So glad you had a great trip, our weather isn't looking real good right now but hey go with the flow.. Thanks again;)

Thanks. We really did have a wonderful time. It's so weird how people can have so many varying opinions about the same thing!!!

Just a couple of more miscellaneous thoughts and comments about the cruise…

There were lots of young adults/kids that were on the cruise celebrating their graduation. I have to say that by and large we didn’t have any issues with the behavior of these kids. We actually talked to a few of them and they seemed very respectful…Now we weren’t out into the weee hours of the morning (we usually were in the cabin between 11-12) so I don’t know what may have gone on after midnight…but at least during the day and evenings I didn’t have any issues with the young adults…

CROWDS – I never felt like there were major issues with crowds at any place. I just tried to avoid any place at a time in which there was likely to be crowds/lines.

POOL AREAS – we spent most of our pool time around the main lido pool as I like to be around where any activity/music may be going on. Both the main pool and the aft pool seemed to have a good amount of people in it throughout the sea days. Also, on sea days you needed to get out to the Lido pretty early (by 8 a.m.) in order to have a chair in that area. The rest of the ship’s chairs tended to be used as well later in the day.

PHOTOS – we took a couple of photos each night and I think we ended up buying about 4 or 5 8x10s. I do wish they were a little less expensive than $22 each…I think if they had been around $15 we probably would have bought twice as many…But I’m sure Carnival has figured out what the optimum price point for them is to maximize their return. As far as the photographers go, I would prefer to have just one or two standard poses at the stations…but they try to get you to take about 5-6 different poses…and most of which I found I was not interested in.

DEBARKATION – We were in zone 26 for debarkation which had a scheduled exit time of around 9-9:15 so we weren’t in a hurry to get up and get off the ship. I think we ended up leaving the room around 8:00 and went to the dining room for breakfast. It was very good and quick and we were finished around 8:45 so we went down to deck three to get ready to leave the ship. They hadn’t gotten to our group yet (I think they were still on zones 12-16 at that time) but I thought hey why don’t we just go ahead and get in line and leave the ship and we can get our luggage and leave…Well, we had no problem leaving the ship but when we got to the luggage area they had not opened up the room where the higher zone luggage was yet. At least we weren’t the only ones who thought they were “slick” and would sneak off early and get their luggage before their zone was called!! We actually only had to wait about 10 minutes and they opened up the room where our luggage was. We were able to grab a porter quickly and zoomed through customs within 5 minutes. As we walked through the customs area the agent asked for my customs card and if I had anything like fruits or something like that…We said no and were led out to the drop off/pick up area.

We had to wait for about 45 minutes in the pick up area for my in-laws to actually make it there to get us. My FIL wasn’t too happy (he is very impatient!!) about how long it took them to make it to the actual area to pick us up. I will have to remember this next time and not “request” we get picked up at the port – at least by my FIL!!!!

Well, I think that is it. Like I said, we had a wonderful time on the Carnival Dream and would definitely consider cruising her again. Hopefully, next time we will be able to sail with another itinerary since we have done the Cozumel, Caymans, Jamaica twice now.

If anyone has any questions they would like answered please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!!!