Upgrade query

Angekins

I've just had emails advising me that the 2 cabins I've got booked on Emerald Princess departing next Wed have been upgraded to 2 minisuites.....fabulous you'd think, but where we were midship and adjacent, the cabins are now 1 forward and 1 aft, exactly what we don't want :mad:

Have phoned Princess and explained that I want to stay where we were, and they can't do that, nor can they get us 2 cabins together. She has put a request in for us to be reassigned.

Anyone been successful in getting moved back?

I've just had emails advising me that the 2 cabins I've got booked on Emerald Princess departing next Wed have been upgraded to 2 minisuites.....fabulous you'd think, but where we were midship and adjacent, the cabins are now 1 forward and 1 aft, exactly what we don't want :mad:

Have phoned Princess and explained that I want to stay where we were, and they can't do that, nor can they get us 2 cabins together. She has put a request in for us to be reassigned.

Not that it will help you now, but for the future and for others, when you book, your TA should ask you whether you are OK with an upgrade as there is an option to "click" "yes" and "no" to accepting that. For those traveling with families or groups, where it is more important to be close together than being upgraded i.e. from a low balcony to a high balcony class, or as here, even from a balcony to a mini-suite, it is probably a good idea to make sure the "no" upgrade option is chosen.

Actually, they can do that. Every booking is "Will accept an upgrade" by default and your TA has to change that to "Do not upgrade" if you want to stay where you are. Either have your TA fight for you or if you booked directly (no benefit to doing that and sometimes, it can hurt you), call back and ask to speak to a Supervisor. Don't accept what you don't want and keep pushing. Edited by Pam in CA

Yes I did book direct and when you do an online booking here in UK there isn't a box to tick about upgrades, in fact there's no mention of upgrade at all!

Going to ring back and see if someone else can do something else, fingers crossed!

Just curious....how close to your cruise departure were you notified of an upgrade? Just booked a couple of days ago for a June 28th departure and was wondering if I were to get an upgrade, how far in advance could I expect Princess to notify me(couple of days, a week)? This will be our first cruise with Princess.

Just curious....how close to your cruise departure were you notified of an upgrade? Just booked a couple of days ago for a June 28th departure and was wondering if I were to get an upgrade, how far in advance could I expect Princess to notify me(couple of days, a week)? This will be our first cruise with Princess.

If you were to be upgraded it could happen at any time. You could find out the day after you book all the way up to when you arrive at the pier. Cabin assignments and the associated upgrades are a continuing process up to the day of the cruise.

By what OP said, time period is one week. She sails on June 11th and just got this notification. One of those cabins could have been one I cancelled.

we are also on this cruise and rang today to see if there were any cheap upgrades going, they offered us a MB grade mini suite (on a guarantee basis) for a bargain price, which we accepted…

we have just received notification of our cabin number and are amazed to see they have put us in The Cancun Suite on Lido deck….L107….to say we are happy bunnies is an understatement….:D:D:D

Hope the original poster can get their cabins switched back….

We have booked balcony category BF, the lowest and just got upgraded to the highest on Caribe deck with large balcony. This is for Dec. 4 Hawaii from L.A. On Grand. I wonder if we have a chance for a mini suite upgrade. Did anyone experience this, or, perhaps we should have our TA call and see if we can do it for the fee. I just don't want to push it yet as we still 6 months away. Any thoughts?

When I received my "Congratulations" upgrade email, I immediately called and rejected it. They said the same thing to me stating that they will try and get my old room back and it could take up to 48 hours. The Princess rep had to fill out a form and pass it on to another department.

I received another email a few hours later confirming that I got my old room back. I'm not sure, but it depends who you talk to. Usually with upgrades, they give you 48 hours to accept or reject and in the mean time, they leave your original cabin in limbo. I'm hoping that will be the case for you. They shouldn't have already given your cabin away to another passenger yet. Keep calling and hopefully you'll get the to the right person.

Yes I did book direct and when you do an online booking here in UK there isn't a box to tick about upgrades, in fact there's no mention of upgrade at all!

Going to ring back and see if someone else can do something else, fingers crossed!

I hope you can get your original cabins back. Many do not know to book their cabins no upgrade. Even with a TA this can happen.

I have my booking marked Meta upgrade only but they disregarded this anyways when they tried to move me from a covered balcony to a completely uncovered balcony at the front of the ship which I specifically noted that I did not want! I had my booking marked correctly. I'm happy I was able to get the old cabin back.

Good luck to the OP. Please keep us updated.

Just to give an update to the cabin upgrade story, I phoned Princess and was told we couldn't have our original cabins back on Caribe as they'd been reassigned, but they could put a request in for us to be moved closer together on Dolphin, if cabins were available. After 48hrs I got emails saying that we had been moved back to midship on Dolphin and although not adjacent we are only 5 cabins apart. So very happy with the eventual outcome :) and just two more sleeps to go!

Thank you to everyone for the help and suggestions, much appreciated.

Glad it's worked out and you're satisfied. IMHO, you were given BS runaround that your cabins had been reassigned. They could always have moved them to your "upgraded" cabins and would have made everyone happy.

If you were to be upgraded it could happen at any time. You could find out the day after you book all the way up to when you arrive at the pier. Cabin assignments and the associated upgrades are a continuing process up to the day of the cruise.

So true.

We arrived in Vancouver, BC for an Alaska Cruise.

Upon checking in we found we had been upgraded from a balcony to an Owners Suite at no charge.

Only happened once....but, hey....what a deal!