The Palm Trees are Really Cool: A Pictorial Review of the Valor's Southern Route

Nicole721

We settled in a bit and freshened up before heading out to explore the hotel. The Caribe Hilton is touted as a hotel but it’s really more of a resort. There are many restaurants and bars on the premises, a private beach, lovely pools and gardens, and to top it all off, a full service Starbucks in the lobby! There was a lot for us to explore. We kicked it off at Starbucks.

DSC_0373.jpg

Did I mention there were parrots in the lobby?

DSC_0371.jpg

We headed out to the beach and we were asked to present our room keys before entering the beach and pool area, so if you’re docked in Old San Juan and looking to hit up the beach at the Caribe Hilton, one, it’s lovely but two, they will ask you for a room key before letting you enter. The beach was clean and quiet. They have a Starbucks out there, too. And cabanas you can rent for a fee, if you’d like, and hammocks and beach beds you could relax in for free.

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

I really wanted to head out into Old San Juan to walk around and grab dinner, but Mom and Stephanie were really digging the hotel and wanted to have a calm and quiet evening there. After such a long travel day and enjoying the parts of the hotel I had seen, I didn’t care to put up a fight. We had all of the next day to explore, and since the ship didn’t depart until late Sunday night, we had most of the day after, too.

Breakfast was served at 9:00 in the morning on the airplane and we were nearing 5:00 pm, so we were ready for some grub. Morton’s Steakhouse was on the grounds, and I’d read online that they had an insane Happy Hour with $8 martinis, $5 beers and $7 appetizers. Perfect for a late lunch/early dinner. We headed over right when they opened at 5:00 pm and while the bar area wasn’t that big, it wasn’t that small, either and it filled up rather quickly. My vodka martini was incredibly strong (to the point where I couldn’t finish it), but the hand-stuffed olives were sublime. We ordered a few appetizers to split amongst the three of us and service was incredibly slow. We figured it might have been to slow down the orders during Happy Hour hours. Standouts? Filet mignon sliders and the house chips with blue cheese dressing.

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

We headed back out to the beach after dinner, grabbing a few beach beds near the shore. There were a lot of people out on the beach and even though it was getting dark, we felt very safe. The beach was private and not open to guests of other hotels or locals, so it felt more secure. We must have been out there for a good two hours before we had our fill and headed back to our room.

DSC_0416.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

…but not before I got some hammock time in.

DSC_0430.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

Mom settled in with some Shark Tank and 20/20 and Stephanie and I went exploring some of the shops.

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

The Starbucks in the lobby was great for two reasons: firstly because it was open late (until 11:00 pm) and secondly because, surprisingly, there was no mark up. Usually at airport Starbucks’ or hotel Starbucks’, there’s a bit of a markup (usually, these are Starbucks counters). The Starbucks at the Caribe Hilton is a freestanding shop and the prices were actually a bit lower than my local one. We grabbed some sandwiches and iced teas before heading back to the room. We also noticed some free area maps out for grabs, so we took a few to plan out our next day.

DSC_0438.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

Stephanie and I dropped a sandwich up to Mom and did a little more walking around. There’s nothing except for a Subway and a souvenir shop within the immediate walking distance from the hotel, but that was almost a good thing. Being a little more remote felt a little more peaceful. The grounds of the resort were expansive and lacked for nothing – there were many restaurants and bars, live music, shops, the Starbucks, and a Quiznos and a froyo counter were opening that weekend. We loved this hotel and can’t recommend it enough.

After a little research of what we wanted to see while we toured the city the next day, we called it a day.

So happy to see another Valor review! :) We did the same cruise last May and it was definitely one of our favorites. I'm really enjoying your review and your beautiful pictures and I think I've seen at least one of your other reviews and will enjoy following this one and reliving our cruise. I also lucked out with the window seat on the same side of the plane for great views coming into San Juan. I was looking for other cruise ships but didn't see any from our flight. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I'm really looking forward to another of your reviews. Valor was our first Carnival ship, so lots of fond memories, obviously. :)

Thanks for the Virgin America safety demo link; I had never seen it. I LOLed at the seat belt bit. We just got back from Las Vegas flying on WestJet, one of Canada's airlines. Most of their flight attendants have a sense of humour, and this time the comment that cracked me up was "For those of you who rode your horse to the airport today, this is how we fasten a seat belt". :D

Keep up the good work!

Heather

Edited by SenatorsFan

Glad to see the pictures of the caribe Hilton. Sounded very familiar. My mom said we lived there for six weeks while my dad has transferred there. Now this is many moons ago.

I am so glad you posted pictures of the Caribe Hilton! We are going on this cruise on Nov 2nd and we are staying one night there. I just told my DH he might be in trouble with this hotel as they 2 of all time favorite things in one location...the beach and Starbucks!!! :D:p How awesome is that!

Cant wait for more! A few weeks ago I spent a ridiculous amount of time reading alllll of your reviews on your blog so I feel like we are bffs now lol. Hubby and I went on the Valor in sept...I started my review but with a crazy work schedule I am only half way thru. I too was posting here and on my blog. Ive since been just posting it on my blog and when I finish it in 2016 ill post a link on CC. I almost quit but your blog reminded me that I'm doing it for me and that's all that matters :) I'm going back to San Juan for the Splendor repo in Nov so looking forward to seeing what u did there :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Glad to know you will finish, I was really enjoying. I had about forgotten till someone posted on it today.

OP loving the review!! Can't wait to read more.

Glad to know you will finish, I was really enjoying. I had about forgotten till someone posted on it today.

OP loving the review!! Can't wait to read more.

Thanks Gracie!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for taking the time to comment, all! Makes me happy to know people want to read what I have to write :) In the midst of apartment hunting (my lease is up in seven weeks and the Chicago rental market is ridiculously competitive), but hoping to have the next part up in the next couple of days!

Great review & pics of San Juan! Me & DH will be doing this cruise in April 2015. Thanks for posting the pics! I can't wait!

I've got plenty of pics for you! 2K in the Photobucket so far, and that doesn't include the pictures Stephanie took on her camera! :)

So happy to see another Valor review! :) We did the same cruise last May and it was definitely one of our favorites. I'm really enjoying your review and your beautiful pictures and I think I've seen at least one of your other reviews and will enjoy following this one and reliving our cruise. I also lucked out with the window seat on the same side of the plane for great views coming into San Juan. I was looking for other cruise ships but didn't see any from our flight. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Awww thanks!

The view coming in was great, but the view flying out was even better!