NCL 11-Day Oahu Explorer Cruisetour

cruise.mode

Have never done Hawaii and am considering this package for fall 2015 on NCL. Is the package a good value, or are you better off just taking the 7-day pricing for the cruise alone and then handling your own pre-sailing excursions?

The package is attractive in that it's 1-stop shopping and you're leaving the driving (on land and sea) to someone else. Land tour includes: North Shore, Pearl Harbor & Downtown, Nu'uanu Pali/Kualoa Ranch.

Hotel is Marriott Waikiki Beach. We'd be OK with that, as we've had good experiences with Marriott properties over the years.

We'd be traveling from the East Coast; this might be our one and only time in Hawaii. Pearl Harbor is a must-see, but we're open to suggestions. We're not terribly outdoors-y or athletic, but we do enjoy historical sites, cultural attractions, etc.

We are open to any wisdom you care to share! Thanks in advance.

Have never done Hawaii and am considering this package for fall 2015 on NCL. Is the package a good value, or are you better off just taking the 7-day pricing for the cruise alone and then handling your own pre-sailing excursions?

The package is attractive in that it's 1-stop shopping and you're leaving the driving (on land and sea) to someone else. Land tour includes: North Shore, Pearl Harbor & Downtown, Nu'uanu Pali/Kualoa Ranch.

Hotel is Marriott Waikiki Beach. We'd be OK with that, as we've had good experiences with Marriott properties over the years.

We'd be traveling from the East Coast; this might be our one and only time in Hawaii. Pearl Harbor is a must-see, but we're open to suggestions. We're not terribly outdoors-y or athletic, but we do enjoy historical sites, cultural attractions, etc.

We are open to any wisdom you care to share! Thanks in advance.

I don't know what the price is for the package but we booked the 7 day cruise and a couple nights in Waikiki separate. We booked the Hilton Waikiki Beach for a couple nights pre-cruise (much cheaper than the hotel through NCL). We booked our own tours for Honolulu (Pearl Harbor and North Shore with Roberts). Since they pick up at the hotels it's very easy. Heard driving in Honolulu is a nightmare. We also rented a car in Maui first day and in Kauai for the first day (many people suggested that's the best way to see things). We also booked private excursions to see Volcano National Park and Kauai by helicopter. We are still looking at things for the second day in Maui. Can't wait for our cruise in October.

I searched the boards and got so much helpful information from people that have done the same itinerary. It's really so much fun planning everything by yourself and you get much better tours sometimes by booking them with private companies. Hope you enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by carsaw

I don't know what the price is for the package but we booked the 7 day cruise and a couple nights in Waikiki separate.

Thank you so much for all this information. We're wondering if it would make more sense for us to follow your lead and just book the cruise and do everything else on our own. Will keep your post in my pile of cruise notes for future planning!

• 2 weeks later...

This question has been asked on this forum a couple of times in recent weeks.

We are sailing on the POA in 2 weeks with a 4 night stay pre-cruise in Honolulu. I have looked at the NCL package and believe that you can save some money booking on your own. Plus, you have more options for your hotel and touring choices. The only advantage is as you mentioned - one stop shopping.

The Marriott seems to be a good place (I actually stayed there in 1978 (before it became a Marriott). It's a bit pricey for it's class and is close to the eastern end of Waikiki (not bad, but not central either).

So, your choice - a little shopping - save maybe a couple of hundred dollars. Or leave the "driving" to NCL.

I personally like determining the amount of time to spend at each destination. Definitely arrive in Honolulu a minimum of 2-3 days prior to your cruise. There are lots of things to do on Oahu. I collect Christmas ornaments and a lady at the Dole Plantation made me a hula dancer ornament. You will probably want to rent a car at most islands.

Make sure to definitely plan to visit the places you want to see. Several people did not the ship. We loved it; however, we were rarely on the ship. We took this cruise to see Hawaii.

This question has been asked on this forum a couple of times in recent weeks.

We are sailing on the POA in 2 weeks with a 4 night stay pre-cruise in Honolulu. I have looked at the NCL package and believe that you can save some money booking on your own. Plus, you have more options for your hotel and touring choices. The only advantage is as you mentioned - one stop shopping.

The Marriott seems to be a good place (I actually stayed there in 1978 (before it became a Marriott). It's a bit pricey for it's class and is close to the eastern end of Waikiki (not bad, but not central either).

So, your choice - a little shopping - save maybe a couple of hundred dollars. Or leave the "driving" to NCL.

We are also booked on the 11 day cruise-tour in August, and, as you stated, "sit back and leave the driving to them".