Changes to Asian Cruise Itineraries

kremepuff

I woke up to a notification e-mail this morning that our Celebrity Millennium cruise in October has had its itinerary changed in order to "comply with Chinese" law.

Instead of going to Kagoshima we are now going to Okinawa and the order has been moved around.

My guess is the Chinese are getting grumpy about going from China to Taiwan directly and we are now having to stop off in Okinawa.

We get an extra hour in port in Shanghai and Nagasaki and one less hour in port in Okinawa then we would have gotten in Kagoshima. We then have to cruise from Okinawa back to Taiwan and even though Taiwan is an overnight, we now don't arrive into port until 1PM (previously 7AM).

Instead of going to Kagoshima we are now going to Okinawa and the order has been moved around.

My guess is the Chinese are getting grumpy about going from China to Taiwan directly and we are now having to stop off in Okinawa.

That you may well be right about the cause for your itinerary change and that the substitution of one Japanese port for another is merely a consequence of pier availability to accommodate that mandated itinerary change...

I visited Okinawa while on Azamara Journey earlier this year; the sights are worthwhile and, from the moment the ship docks [with quite a greeting] until the moment it leaves [a group of performers provided us with a memorable cultural show onboard as that evening's entertainment], the people are very warm/welcoming...

For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed our time in Taiwan but suspect that you will have more than ample time--despite your condensed visit--to do the island justice given your on-ship overnight... And personally, I'd relish a bit more time in both Shanghai and the Tokyo area...

Sounds like a wonderful itinerary... Despite the changes, you are in for a treat... Enjoy!

Regardless, there are significant tensions, particularly at sea, between China and it's neighbours and I wonder if the cruiseline is looking at routes to avoid passing through" disputed waters". I saw a map on China TV about the area they "dispute" and certainly last month this issue was getting a lot of airtime on there and the area was somewhat large

Be aware also arrivals in China are going to be nightmare slow if your ship is thought to have been in one of these areas, it's slow anyway! This would impact on plans for the day or if disembarking flights (even on a transit visa). Remember, being the checker or the checker of the checker gives everyone a job and to keep that job.....you can't be too careful :rolleyes:

Edited by uktog

That you may well be right about the cause for your itinerary change and that the substitution of one Japanese port for another is merely a consequence of pier availability to accommodate that mandated itinerary change...

From the letter:

I am sorry to let you know that we have had to change the itinerary for your sailing as above. We only take this action when it is necessary. On this occasion, we have had to alter the ship's itinerary to be in compliance with Chinese Law.

While they aren't specific to the reasons, it appears not to be port availability. I am not upset or frustrated. I am sure it is more of a pain for Celebrity having to re-figure a whole bunch of stuff out. The Cruise Planning Website is all messed up at the moment too, with allegedly being able to book shore excursions on Sea Days and no excursions yet visible on the day in Okinawa yet.