Seattle Restaurant's

lag9122

We will be in Seattle a day before and 2 days after the cruise . besides the space needle where is there nice restaurants ? Is there a nice steak house around.Thanks for your help .

Lisa

We've had great food in BOKA, Anchovies & Olives (actually any restaurant in the Ethan Stowell group is pretty durn good), Local 360, Pintxo, Toulouse Petit, but hands-down our favourite Seattle resto is Mistral near Westlake.

While I rarely frequent a steakhouse per se, so I can't recommend one of those in Seattle, several of the above will do an excellent steak for you - Mistral's is particularly interesting as it's cooked on a skewer inside a tandoor so both sides get a lovely maillard reaction going without the inconsistency of grill marks. They usually offer a bone-in ribeye as the cut. If your party all like steaks and want a variety of cuts, then Red Cow is probably the best of the Stowell restos for you.

I'm sure some of the locals will be along soon to compare & contrast some of the steakhouses in town.

We will be in Seattle a day before and 2 days after the cruise . besides the space needle where is there nice restaurants ? Is there a nice steak house around.Thanks for your help .

Lisa

I'll second mapleleaves on Daniel's Broiler--great food, and a nice view of Lake Union.

The Metropolitan Grill downtown is said to have wonderful steaks. I've only been to happy hour there--dinner there isn't really in my budget!--but that was great.

We stayed at the Inn at the Market for a wedding recently ... lovely hotel and awesome views (esp from the rooftop deck). The Mayflower is convenient.

Or look at Silver Cloud Lake Union for something different than the downtown area. It's only a mile from downtown but you're by a lake, with access to great restaurnts, a park, and great views of boat traffic, kayaks, floatplanes. The hotels provides a free van service to popular downtown locations, great b'fast, pool, free laundry facilities whch will be handy after the cruise. Our office uses it for out of town clients.

If you have points to use, Seatlle has all the major chains.

Daniels Broiler is probably #2 on my list for Seattle area steakhouses -- I actually had my wedding reception there. It's a solid steakhouse.

But IMHO Morton's is the best. Love their Cajun ribeye and lobster tails there.

Not sure what the hype is about over the Met Grill. We've eaten there a few times and thought their steaks were just OK.

I'd eat at Daniels or Morton's over the Met any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

<< where would you eat if you lived in/near Seattle and wanted a meal for less than your 2 week grocery budget? And staying downtown >>

what kind of meal are you looking for? There are many reasonably priced restaurants in Seattle.

<< where would you eat if you lived in/near Seattle and wanted a meal for less than your 2 week grocery budget? And staying downtown >>

what kind of meal are you looking for? There are many reasonably priced restaurants in Seattle.

We are at the Sheraton - I'd like to find a food truck park, street food, maybe a diner. I want to eat at the places the locals eat lunch - not the tourist places. If they have a location in Texas, I don't want to eat there in Seattle....

limitations - friend doesn't eat seafood at.all. but most places have good "other than" seafood; walking distance from bus stops - probably not more than a couple of blocks - the map shows a couple of stops within close to the Sheraton; and I don't want to get into a neighborhood I shouldn't be in [2 slow women, probably looking like tourists]

We are planning to do Pike Place on the Friday morning [brunch/early lunch] and hope to take the ferry across to Bainbridge and back for the view - its on the 4th of July so I suspect some places may be closed.

Thanks for ideas!

We are at the Sheraton - I'd like to find a food truck park, street food, maybe a diner. I want to eat at the places the locals eat lunch - not the tourist places. If they have a location in Texas, I don't want to eat there in Seattle....

limitations - friend doesn't eat seafood at.all. but most places have good "other than" seafood; walking distance from bus stops - probably not more than a couple of blocks - the map shows a couple of stops within close to the Sheraton; and I don't want to get into a neighborhood I shouldn't be in [2 slow women, probably looking like tourists]

We are planning to do Pike Place on the Friday morning [brunch/early lunch] and hope to take the ferry across to Bainbridge and back for the view - its on the 4th of July so I suspect some places may be closed.

Thanks for ideas!

Not sure if they'll be open on the Fourth, but here are some ideas...

Try the Market Grill at Pike Place Market. It's a tiny lunch counter in the middle of the Main Arcade. They do grilled fish (and chicken, for your friend), in a sandwich or on a platter, with house-made rosemary mayo and coleslaw and clam chowder. Everything is fresh and really, really good. Plus, the stools are just a couple of steps from the main passageway through the Market--giving you a ringside seat as the whole world walks by. It's my favorite place in the Market.

If a chicken sandwich isn't to your friend's liking, try Uli's Famous Sausage, right across from the Market Grill. You can get a really good grilled sausage on a roll and enjoy it in their small seating area.

Enjoy!

While I am never quite sure what a price point a person is looking for who is asking about "a meal less than your two week grocery budget" I just want to comment that while Seattle has a number of wonderful local restaurants it is also city with national chain restaurants. For example, a PF Chang is located downtown near Westlake. At least in the downtown area there are not a great number of food trucks.

Anthony's at Pier 66 is my current favorite Seattle restaurant. As with several of the major local seafood restaurants Anthony's has the "fancy" restaurant, a more casual "bistro" type of venue and an "eat-and-go-or-eat-and-stay" fish and chip sort of venue -- all at Pier 66.

Thanks for ideas!

Seattle is a great place to explore the neighbourhoods and find unique shops and diners. On my most recent visit, I discovered 5 Spot, which is described by Google Maps as a "Quirky American restaurant and bar". 5 Spot dinner menu. Quirky is definitely an appropriate adjective. But the food quality and portions are great, a good value (for Seattle).

5 Spot is located in the Queen Anne neighborhood, up the hill north of downtown. There's a nearby park with a lookout (Queen Anne hill), where tourists and locals capture postcard-worthy views of the city.

If your friend wasn't adverse to seafood, I would suggest The Crab Pot as a unique west coast dining experience. It's touristy, expensive, kitschy, and messy. But imagine the family bonding that can be achieved with everyone suited up in bibs and smashing crab shells with mallets. Definitely one of my more unique dining experiences. The Crab Pot is a west-coast chain, with two locations in Washington and three in California.

Edited by GrtWtNorth

Anthony's at Pier 66 is my current favorite Seattle restaurant. As with several of the major local seafood restaurants Anthony's has the "fancy" restaurant, a more casual "bistro" type of venue and an "eat-and-go-or-eat-and-stay" fish and chip sort of venue -- all at Pier 66.

I haven't tried Anthony's at Pier 66, but I can vouch that Anthony's in the SeaTac Airport serves the best seafood I've ever eaten in an airport. The adjacent counter service restaurant is pretty good too. I love the fish tacos.

You will not find any worthy east-coast style diners in Seattle, or really anywhere on the west coast (IMO) - a great tragedy for those of us who live here.

For a diner-like experience, just walk to the Pike Place market (4 blocks from the Mayflower) and have breakfast at either Lowell's or the Athenian, both with good bacon-and-eggs menus, but also with views of bay and mountains that you certainly can't get elsewhere.

There are many affordable family restaurants (and many that aren't - depends on your family) very close to the Mayflower and Westlake areas. Some are chains, some regional chains (such as Anthony's) but like in many big cities, the best places are in the neighborhoods, a cab ride (or longish bus trip) from downtown.

Thanks, Gardyloo! Those look perfect, especially as we are meeting a guide at the Market at 9. Looks like a 7 am breakfast beforehand will do nicely! Yum - now to decide what to get. Those menus look amazing!

Food is so subjective that you can 5 different opinions from 5 people.

As far as steak houses, I have eaten in everyone of them in Seattle, and my personal choice is Ruth Chris. But what I like you may not.:)

Food is so subjective that you can 5 different opinions from 5 people.

As far as steak houses, I have eaten in everyone of them in Seattle, and my personal choice is Ruth Chris. But what I like you may not.:)

But what is your favorite that can't be found everywhere else?? [there are 3 here in SATX and I'd still rather go to a local place]

you'll find small restaurants in various areas within Seattle.

- Lake Union has nice waterfront restaurants, altho you may pay for the view. Amazon is on lake union and is a popular area for food trucks. I think the link is http://www.seattlefoodtruck.com. Take the street car there. (actually since you wanted to watch the fireworks, stay the Silver Cloud Hotel)

- Lower Queen is a nice area for small restaurants and bars

- instead of taking the ferry to Bainbridge, take the water taxi to Alki Beach and wander around West Seattle for some small restaurants.

The best thing to do is wander around and look at menus.

Go to Chowhound.com and do a search on SEATTLE. Find threads from foodies.