Norwegian Sky/Epic

runner2013

1st thing to say is although I have not been on the Sky I have been on similar size NCL ships,I have been on the Epic twice.

In my opinion the Epic wins hands down for singles due to the studio cabins and lounge as well as the multiple late night entertainment venues.

Even if you don't stay in a studio you can still attend the lounge between 5-7pm where there is usually a large singles gathering and a singles host who organises group dinners etc.

There is also a whiteboard for people to post activities for other people to join which makes it even more sociable.

Entertainment on Epic is the best on any cruise ship I've been on (yeah the Blue man group is for kids I feel) but I'm talking about the duelling pianos,the jazz n blues club and O Sheehans for late night hang outs and snacks.You also have the headliners act which was excellent as well as ice bar,ten pin bowling and a great disco.

If you are single/solo you won't regret the Epic.

If you are single/solo you won't regret the Epic.

In my view, this all depends on what you're looking for.

I'm both single and solo, and have sailed many times on NCL's older ships. But nothing about the Epic or the studio cabins appeals to me. Just sayin'. :-)

Have you all done any solos on RC ships. What's your take on them?

I have sailed as part of a singles group on RC and NCL Epic. I am sailing solo (not part of a group) for the 1st time on the Epic in July. Although I have limited experience as a solo cruiser (not traveler tho), I feel more comfortable as a single woman on the Epic vs RC. The Epic has a designated lounge for solo travelers. Even though I was part of a group last time on the Epic, I met some wonderful people from all over the world in the lounge and we ended up going to dinner, getting drinks, etc. That was not my experience on RC.

Like someone else mentioned, on the Epic there is a coordinator for solo travelers and there is a whiteboard to post activities. I did not see anything like that on RC.

Edited by ALJ_cali

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Sky for a 3 days cruise and it was the most boring three days of my life. Not much entertainment, and I was alone and did not meet anyone, as people were enjoying the company of those they came with.

I have been on the Breakaway and stayed in the solo cabins. I met people there and hung out with them. I did not always hang out with them, but it was good to have people to be around when I want to be around people.

On the Breakaway, there were different restaurants, entertainment, a theatre with shows. Just so much more to do than on the Sky.

I would definitely choose the Epic over the Sky.

I cruised on the Sky this past January with my (now ex) boyfriend. We had a nice time and met lots of nice people, but I don't think I saw any solos. This was definitely a family/couples ship - lots of kids and young couples. The short runs she takes are ideal for those who don't have much time for vacations.

I'm booked on the Epic in October for my first solo cruise. I'm super excited but I would have never had the guts to take a solo cruise had it not been for the solo cabins and lounge. I think it sounds like a safer option all around.

I would say though, that you should really pick your ship based on your itinerary. Decide where, when, and for how long you want to go, then start ship shopping. If you're in the market for a short vacation to a sunny spot and don't mind being almost totally alone (and maybe slightly board), then the Sky might be a good option. For me, and my personality, the Epic is probably going to be a bit much, but I'd rather have the option to retreat than to want company and not be able to find any.