Car Rental/1-10pm/Rainforest?

robinlbe

I have read pages and pages on this forum, and have also done the "search forum" thing. Can't find anything recent.....

We will be in port from 1-10pm.

We would like to get in a couple of hours at the rainforest. I know it wouldn't be a complete tour, but would like to go.

1) I think I've read it's about a 45 minute drive from the port. yes? no?

2) The rainforest closes at 6pm. If we were able to get there by 3pm, have a couple of hours to look around, and leave before 6pm (I understand it gets dark early there), would we/should we be ok?

3) I saw where someone compared San Juan (in town) driving to "driving in Boston on steroids." Well, my husband has driven in downtown Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, and probably more than that. He also has driven in Grand Turk (opposite driving as here in US) 3x. Do you think this would be recommended to try renting a car and driving ourselves?

4) Any one rental car place better/more reliable than another?

Thanks for taking time to read this....:D

robin

ok. so far, no replies.

We really want to get to the rainforest....

anyone know of a tour company that will wait until we get to port at 1pm to take us to the rain forest? I have searched and searched and I keep coming up empty-handed :(

I would assume that tours are available, either through the ship or at the port. But, I see no reason why you'd want one for going to El Yunque. You're basically paying for transport, which should be much cheaper if you rent a car. 45 minutes to an hour sounds about right. My question would be whether there are rental cars available at the port, or if you'll need to grab a taxi to the nearest agency. From my research, there appear to be rental car agencies located all over San Juan, so it shouldn't be more than a 5 minute ride to the closest one. If you can find an Avis, try using AWD # B037400. I'm using it in San Juan in July for $25/day for an SUV.

I think you should go for it.

I'm not one for organized tours when you can explore on your own schedule but that's your decision.

But if you do it on your own rent a car from Hertz, they are the only company at the pier.

The other rental companies are reluctant to set up a meet time because a lot of times renters don't follow through. So you have to call for the shuttle after you dock. Depending on how busy they are it can be a while before they get you. Then by the time you get back they are closed so you need to take a cab back to the pier.

Rent from Hertz for a few extra dollars and you might be at the rain forest by 2:00 (Hertz opens at 1:00 after the lunch break). Be sure to inquire about their policy for returning after hours (they close at 4:00).

They close the gates to the rain forest at 6:00 so make sure you are out by then. :)

I drove in PR with no issues but I am not a nervous driver. Make sure you are insured.

IC

Edited by InsideCruiser

We will be in port from 1-10pm.

We would like to get in a couple of hours at the rainforest. I know it wouldn't be a complete tour, but would like to go.

A couple of hours at El Yunque are worth it.

1) I think I've read it's about a 45 minute drive from the port. yes? no?

Yes

2) The rainforest closes at 6pm. If we were able to get there by 3pm, have a couple of hours to look around, and leave before 6pm (I understand it gets dark early there), would we/should we be ok?

You should be ok.

3) I saw where someone compared San Juan (in town) driving to "driving in Boston on steroids." Well, my husband has driven in downtown Chicago, NYC, DC, Boston, and probably more than that. He also has driven in Grand Turk (opposite driving as here in US) 3x. Do you think this would be recommended to try renting a car and driving ourselves?

It isn't all that bad.

We had a bad experience renting from Dollar in SJU.

We have had multiple good experiences renting from Budget.

Three hours in the rainforest will give you a nice overview.

So much better to go alone rather than with a tour.

Make sure you get to La Mina Falls.

Your husbands driving experience seems good to tackle SJU. I have done it numerous times and it's not that bad. Hardest thing to get used to is that the seem not to adhere to the North American rule of keep right except to pass so you often find a lot more lane changing going on so everybody can get around a slow moving car in the left lane.

Hint: We brought our GPS from home and it was very helpful and cheaper than adding one to the rental, plus we were already familiar with the operation of it.

Hope this is helpful and encouraging!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we decided to not rent a car in PR this time.

We used Albert (he's been mentioned on this board many times).

Turned out it was a great decision!

We got to go into the rainforest, stopped at the visitor's center there (WELL worth it), stopped at several places for pictures, hiked a bit around some falls, and saw enough. It was good.

We left there and drove around (and it was nice for my husband to just look around and enjoy the views since he hadn't seen that part of PR before).

Albert was very knowledgeable about the whole area, so we learned a LOT!

He took us through some of the very most narrow streets of Old SJ, and we wouldn't have seen those streets otherwise.

It was about $55 for each of us, but worth it for this trip.

(I did find out that the Sheraton, across from the port, does rent cars....so maybe next time - IF there is a next time.)