Need advice re:Avalon and complaints

Zeno

We have friends currently on an Avalon cruise who are having a very bad experience - their "river cruise" has become a "bus cruise". The ship apparently broke down and they are being bused around on uncomfortable, horribly long bus trips instead of getting their cruise.

They feel like their vacation has been completely ruined.

Can anyone advise as to the best way to deal with this major disappointment? Who can they contact at Avalon? Has anyone else experienced this? If so -how did Avalon respond?

We have friends currently on an Avalon cruise who are having a very bad experience - their "river cruise" has become a "bus cruise". The ship apparently broke down and they are being bused around on uncomfortable, horribly long bus trips instead of getting their cruise.

Can anyone advise as to the best way to deal with this major disappointment? Who can they contact at Avalon? Has anyone else experienced this? If so -how did Avalon respond?

Hi, I am sorry to hear your bad news, would you be able to say which river boat your friends are on.

I can certainly understand their frustration. I would be annoyed as well....

Unfortunately, it states clearly in the contract that, if need be, they can change to a bus tour.

NOTES:

In the event of water level problems or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.

They may be able to request some type of future cruise credit, but other than that, they might just try to enjoy it as best they can. Sorry....:(

I guess my first question would be did they book thru a TA who can contact Avalon 1st thing Monday morning. What ship is it, which itinerary? I'm sure the Captain and CD is keeping them informed, what information are they being given..,,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

thx for the replies.

My friend will be returning soon - not sure which ship they were on - I will get full details when she returns

That contract quote does not look promising. I guess the moral of the story is probably - read and understand the contract.

Are they in Europe, Asia or Russia??? In Europe Avalon has many ships and more flexibility. If this happened in Russia or Asia then that's a whole different ball game!

zeno sorry to hear about the ship breakdown? can you say where they are travelling? so far nothing on social media or news.

how long was the ship out of action? as others have said buses can be used for a variety of reasons. hopefully this was only a short part of their trip. although it may have the potential to effect the next cruise.

zeno sorry to hear about the ship breakdown? can you say where they are travelling? so far nothing on social media or news.

how long was the ship out of action? as others have said buses can be used for a variety of reasons. hopefully this was only a short part of their trip. although it may have the potential to effect the next cruise.

It's not Zeno, it's her friend !! She commented about a "problem" but does not seem to know what's going on and has not returned to at least give us a basic idea of "where in the world" her friend is traveling???

FWIW, our TA says that AMA and Avalon have always been the most accommodating when it comes to passenger problems.

When a person travels he/she must be flexible--things aren't always going to be what "they signed up for!"

I echo nana541 in hoping they have a TA that can help them.

Just to point out, the contract language is very similar for every river cruise line. I don't want anyone to think Avalon is the only company with this wording.

I had also had the impression from past river issues (low water some years and flooding at other times) that people on Avalon trips seemed to have much less issues than Viking or some of the other lines. Hopefully the OP returns to report which ship, what river, what the issues were, etc. I obviously would be disappointed if my river cruise was turned into a bus trip, because I think you can do a bus trip for much less money than a river cruise, but you have to make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in. Hopefully the "friend" is being given a partial refund and future cruise credit to make up for the experience.

If you can tell us where they flew to at least we would have some idea of which river they are on.

YoungDub is correct.

Last year when the flooding was going on, Avalon was very accommodating to it's passengers! They 'cancelled' some trips so people could file on their insurance. Viking seemed the worst in that it just converted all their trips to bus trips - leaving people no options.

If you read most contracts - river or ocean going - they all have similar verbiage. Ocean cruises say they can deviate for any reason. People can get upset all they want, but deviating is for the safety of the passengers.

If the Avalon ship was not mechanically sound, I'm sure they did the best they could in putting people on a bus so they could at least still see some of their sites. It maybe that the ship is fixed and will catch up to them at a later port.

cbb - exactly. You are on vacation....enjoy what you have and go with the flow!

To answer some of the questions:

1. they were in Europe - Danube cruise from Budapest.

2. From what she has said in her emails - the ship went out of commission shortly after the cruise began and they have been bused around since then. I don't know specifically which ship.

I have asked her to contact me as soon as they get back and will fill in the details when I get them.

Based upon what you have provided us with, it is the Blue Danube Discovery from Budapest to Prague.

If they left on May 31, they are on the Vista. If they left on June 3, they are on the Impression.

I can't find anything on the web about it, but much of the issues are only seen on CC.

Zeno,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like your friends have expressed disappointment to you about their recent Avalon trip? While specific details have not been provided, we assume they were on the Luminary which experienced engine troubles early last week.

You are correct when you mention that we were unable to continue the cruise: The ship required a new engine. And we agree that a trip via motorcoach is certainly not a cruise. That is why we gave them two options: 1) They could return home and receive a full refund for their cruise; 2) They could continue on to experience the sites of the itinerary via motorcoach while also receiving a full refund for their cruise.

We also offered them a second Cruise Director to sort out their concerns (in person and on trip). All travelers decided to make the most of a tough situation and continue on (again, understanding that we were providing them a refund for their cruise).

Should your friends or their fellow Luminary travelers have any follow-up needs and/or questions, we encourage them to email us at travelerservices@globusfamily.com or call our team toll-free at 877-333-3920.

For any others interested in the fate of the Luminary - she is sailing once again!

All the best wishes to you,

Avalon Waterways

Edited by Avalon Waterways

Wow, I am thrilled not only for the friends of the OP but so grateful that this is the company I have booked my 1st River Cruise with.

Thank you Avalon for dropping by and letting this board know that you are really a "First Class" organization!

Looking forward to boarding the beautiful new "Illumination" next year.

I was going to comment the first day this tread was started, how I would expect Avalon to do the best possible to help customers.

There info above just confirms what a great company they are if there is any issues. Thats why we are sailing with them again in July. If you travel all the way from NZ you want to be looked after to the highest standards even if things go wrong.

Thanks Avalon for once again demonstrating your commitment to good customer service

For letting us know the circumstances and the remedies offered to affected passengers. When I book an Avalon cruise, I have full confidence in the company based on my past experience traveling with them last Summer and especially since they are part of the Globus travel group. See you in 12 days in Amsterdam as we embark on our Rhine cruise.

Wow, I am thrilled not only for the friends of the OP but so grateful that this is the company I have booked my 1st River Cruise with.

Thank you Avalon for dropping by and letting this board know that you are really a "First Class" organization!

Looking forward to boarding the beautiful new "Illumination" next year.

I am also looking forward to my first Avalon River Cruise onboard the Impression next month. I was a little concerned when I read the title and opened the thread but I was very impressed with the professionalism and customer service of Avalon.

This makes me feel much better about choosing Avalon.

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I love Avalon! Well done! c

Yes us too, we had problems with low water levels in 2012 on our first river cruise, plus a barge accident and bridge repairs....all problems which were out of Avalon's control, but we thought that Avalon handled the situations very well.

We were very happy with Avalon , that's why we're off on our 2nd and 3rd, being B2B Grand France at the end of this month.

Deb :)