Cab vs. Bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach

beckers

Does anyone know how much a cab ride to Horseshoe Bay Beach is from the Dockyards is? and how long it is vs. cost of bus and time on the bus?

Its 25-30 each way for the cab about 20 minutes. The bus is 3-4 per person each way or part of the daily pass(12.00) about 30-40 minutes.

Taxis carry 6 passengers. A one day bus pass is $12/person. If you have a large party I'd spend the few extra dollars and avoid the wait and the hassle of the buses. Our friends had to stand the entire way, and their bus had no air conditioning.

For us, a party of 5, it cost about $31 each way. We gave the driver $40, so our round trip costs us $80. We would have spent $60 on the one day bus passes.

My Mom is in a wheel chair, she has limited mobility but can transfer and walk a few steps. We plan on using a taxi for an island tour and then a trip to Horseshoe. Will this work?

If your mother has limited mobility then you absolutely need to take a taxi to Horseshoe. The bus drops you off at the top of the hill so you have to walk down a fairly steep hill to get to the beach. A taxi can take you down the hill so you don't have to walk down it. This hill is big enough that able-bodied tourists dread the thought of having to walk back up it to get to the bus stop (thankfully there is ususally a $1 shuttle that will take people to the top of the hill, many posters here say it is the best dollar they've ever spent).

Also unless your mother's wheelchair can be collapsed it will not be allowed on the bus. Travelling by bus will also be difficult if the bus is crowded - and I can guarantee the bus to Horseshoe Bay will be.

Sounds fine. Taxis have a surcharge for 5-6 people so if there are less than 5 of you the fare to Horseshoe could turn out to be less than what Radio Head mentioned. For a taxi tour you should try to book it in advance so that you have a cab reserved at the appointed time and that way you'll know how much you'll be spending as tours are usually $40 an hour, more if its 5-6 people. It will make your life much easier than trying to find a cab along with dozens of other cruise ship passangers.

If you like your tour you can probably arrange for the taxi driver to meet you at a set time to take you to Horseshoe as well.

For heaven's sake do not take a taxi (unless you really need to). We weren't half way there and we were at 13.00. I was told later on that you should negotiate a price with the driver (or simply take the bus). But we never did make it to Horseshoe....but thats another story for a different thread :(

Thanks I am going to take the cab!!:D I think I can probably scrounge up some people to share and negogiate it will be worth it.

Don't be too surprised if the cab driver doesn't want to negotiate though, the cabs have meters and bartering is not common in Bermuda. I didn't even realize that you could negotiate the price with some of them, I always just paid the metered fare.

Don't be too surprised if the cab driver doesn't want to negotiate though, the cabs have meters and bartering is not common in Bermuda. I didn't even realize that you could negotiate the price with some of them, I always just paid the metered fare.

Can u book a car/cab for the day and how do we book. We are a party of 6 persons plus an 17 month old baby? Any advise as to waht we should do?

Most cabs can take six people and seat belt laws don't apply to passengers in taxis so you could technically hold the baby in your lap. I've never booked a taxi tour but you can look up taxis in the yellow pages, www.bermudayp.com, and book a cab in advance and get a price per hour for the tour (for six people probably around $50/hr.). You can also mention the baby and see if they have any concerns or suggestions.

Other posters here have done taxi tours and enjoyed it, it is a great way to see the entire island. If you book in advance you can even have your cab waiting for you when you get off the ship.

Archived