NCL Specialty Coffee Program.

The potential problems at this time are that the specialty coffees are made (in the Jewel and Dawn class ships) in the atrium. If a passenger is in a bar or restaurant and wants a specialty coffee then either the passenger must go themselves and get the drink, or the server must go down to get the drink and come back to serve it and the concern is that the drink would not be as hot when it was served.

How do they do it now, when people order espresso drinks after a meal in the MDR? Do the servers have to go to the Atrium? I assumed that they had additional espresso machines behind the scenes. Edited by hawkeyetlse

And, oh that logistics issue seems relevant if you wanted a hot coffee. And walking a few flights of stairs would probably do me good after a wonderful meal haha. Thanks for the info. Keith

Just go to the windjammer and make your own. I have done this for my husband ,when he wanted an ice coffee.Have a great cruise,we love the Dawn!!!!:)

You mean just put ice into the hot coffee? Doesn't that water it down? There is no place to get chilled coffee for iced?

Thanks for the good wishes for great cruise. :)

There is no place to get chilled coffee for iced?
I doubt it, I don't think the iced coffee craze has quite reached NCL yet… But you could serve yourself some hot coffee, let it cool down, and chill it yourself in your cabin fridge.

I doubt it, I don't think the iced coffee craze has quite reached NCL yet… But you could serve yourself some hot coffee, let it cool down, and chill it yourself in your cabin fridge.

I suppose that is what I'll do. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We've never gotten any of the drink packages (UBP soda, or water package) but I would buy a reasonably priced coffee card for sure! We have a Nespresso at home in addition to our Keurig and I'm addicted to cappuccinos and lattes! DH would definitely be onboard with this too...pun intended lol! :)

For those unfamiliar with how the Princess coffee card works (unless they've changed it; our last cruse was Feb of 14) is that it costs around $33 and includes 15 "punches" for specialty coffees (which can be redeemed on future voyages if you have any left) as well as unlimited brewed coffee (good only on that voyage). I thought it worked great and would definitely be interested in something similar on NCL.

You mean just put ice into the hot coffee? Doesn't that water it down? There is no place to get chilled coffee for iced?

Thanks for the good wishes for great cruise. :)

My husband does this all the time. He gets a coffee and a glass of ice. he puts the creamer in to cool the coffee a little and then pours it over the ice. Plus IMO the coffee is never that hot that the ice melts too badly and water it down

Just went a Royal ship last summer. We really enjoyed the Replenish package. We got soda, lots of different virgin drinks and all types of different coffees. Wish NCL had that. :D

We sailed on the Oasis last spring, and we had the Royal Replenish package as well which included specialty coffees. It was worth its weight in gold! NCL...please do this!!!!

I find that the prices at the coffee bar are pretty reasonable as it is. I would be tempted by a coffee card, but I would end up spending more on coffee than I currently do (which is exactly what the cruise lines are trying to get us to do with these cards/packages).

I think that NCL is holding back on things like bottled water and specialty coffee in order to leave "room for growth" in the UBP. You know that they are itching to raise the price on this package (it's one of the few things that hasn't gone up in price this year), and including an additional category of drinks when they do so will make the pill a little easier to swallow.

I find that the prices at the coffee bar are pretty reasonable as it is. I would be tempted by a coffee card, but I would end up spending more on coffee than I currently do (which is exactly what the cruise lines are trying to get us to do with these cards/packages).

I think that NCL is holding back on things like bottled water and specialty coffee in order to leave "room for growth" in the UBP. You know that they are itching to raise the price on this package (it's one of the few things that hasn't gone up in price this year), and including an additional category of drinks when they do so will make the pill a little easier to swallow.

I agree with you! The cappuccino and espresso prices are definitely reasonable right now. I don't have a problem getting a cappuccino or latte a few times throughout the cruise and paying for them. And NCL I'm sure is already considering how they can enhance the UBP and charge more for it, and also maybe come up with more drink package options. With all the recent changes at NCL I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more of this, just as they recently added options for the specialty dining packages for fewer nights than the actual length of the cruise.

• 8 months later...

Could you define "pretty reasonable" ? I'm especially concerned because I like my small Americanos with 2 shots and my large ones with 3. Do they price by the number of shots ? I always made really good use of my coffee card on Princess-especially the Royal where I could even get espresso at the bakery in the buffet !

Thanks ahead of time for the help,

kristine

Could you define "pretty reasonable" ?
This may not be up to date, but two months ago some of the prices were:

• espresso/americano $1.75 single / $2.50 double
  • cappuccino/latte $2.50 regular / $3.50 large
  • mocha $3.00 regular / $4.00 large
  • iced coffee drinks $3-$4
  • flavor shot $.50

+ 18%, naturally.

This may not be up to date, but two months ago some of the prices were:

• espresso/americano $1.75 single / $2.50 double
  • cappuccino/latte $2.50 regular / $3.50 large
  • mocha $3.00 regular / $4.00 large
  • iced coffee drinks $3-$4
  • flavor shot $.50

+ 18%, naturally.

Well it looks like $6 a day for my Americanos with flavor shots, and with an occasional cappuccino, I might be able to get by on $10/day. Since the unlimited beverage package takes care of everything else, I think I'm ready to try out one of the single rooms on the Getaway !

I vote for a coffee card or a non-alcoholic drink UBP "card." We don't drink enough alcohol per day to justify a UBP card (besides we like SDP anyway), but would happily pay for some non-alcoholic privileges. If they still sell fresh-squeezed juice in the buffet at breakfast, I would be even happier with a non-alcoholic card.

I would love a coffee card, but first they need to expand the availability of good coffee. On the Gem I waiting longer in the Atrium Cafe for an espresso or other coffee drink than I waited for a drink in any bar. Ordering with dinner took forever and seemed like a huge imposition on otherwise excellent wait staff.