Information on infinity please.

Jo and Rob

We have sailed the Eclipse twice and absolutely loved it. We are sailing Infinity to Iceland soon and wondered how the ships compare, what favourite spots on Infinity we should not miss and any other details.

I discovered on our roll call that the pool is sea water which is disappointing. Highlights for us on Eclipse are:

Grass lawn

Solarium with indoor pool

Coffee shop

Bistro on five

Qsine

Hot Glass Show

Kids clubs

Food activities in the day time

All comments very welcome on Infinity.

many thanks

I sailed on the Eclipse to the Baltics, then Infinity to Iceland the following year. It's hard to compare as both were great cruises and both ships have lots to offer. It's only my opinion but I thought that although Infinity is smaller it uses the space better, it doesn't have all of the fun things you like, but there are some & then you'll probably find other things you like instead. My favourite place was Cafe al Bacio, which was definitely something different for me, but it was a good place to relax in the day and had entertainment in the evening. I also thought the entertainment & feel if the ship was slightly better. Inevitably you'll find yourself comparing the two, some things will be better, some not, but I just tried to see it as a totally different holiday - though for me Infinity just wins!

Iceland was well worth the visit though - have a great time :)

I sailed on the Eclipse to the Baltics, then Infinity to Iceland the following year. It's hard to compare as both were great cruises and both ships have lots to offer. It's only my opinion but I thought that although Infinity is smaller it uses the space better, it doesn't have all of the fun things you like, but there are some & then you'll probably find other things you like instead. My favourite place was Cafe al Bacio, which was definitely something different for me, but it was a good place to relax in the day and had entertainment in the evening. I also thought the entertainment & feel if the ship was slightly better. Inevitably you'll find yourself comparing the two, some things will be better, some not, but I just tried to see it as a totally different holiday - though for me Infinity just wins!

Iceland was well worth the visit though - have a great time :)

Thank you for your insight. I've just been checking out the temperature for our cruise and it looks like I'll be packing jumpers! Did your cruise take you to the Faroe Islands and Shetland too? I'm interested what your impressions of these ports are as well as Iceland.

Mine went Faroe Islands (it was drizzly, definitely needed warm clothes - I went on the hike in the mountains trip & the scenery is wonderful); Reykjavik overnight - explored the city (personally not my favourite), went to a geothermal plant (not the best trip) & whale watching (again wrap up warm - I'd do that again even though we didn't see many); Akuyeri was my favourite (weather was hot & sunny & I had shorts & flip flops on 60miles from the Arctic Circle!!); ended up in Geiranger & Bergen in Norway where the weather was hot and sunny. If I had to recommend I'd say take layers, including a coat & cagoul, as we had a bit of everything. I'm used to more historic, sightseeing type cruises, so having a holiday which was more back to nature was a really nice change - I thoroughly enjoyed it all and took the opportunity to go on trips, like the hike, that I'd not normally do.

I've always been of the opinion that there is no perfect cruise ship, and while I like the S-class ships the M-class ships have a number of great features. For me, the M-class ships do feel significantly smaller (but not crowded at all) and it seems easier to encounter a new acquaintance. Also, the Aqua Spa Cafes seem to have more seating on the M-class ships, and I actually prefer Blu on the M-class ships over Blu on the S-class ships.

Infinity does have the Cafe al Bacio (coffee shop), Fun Factory, Qsine, and Bistro on Five.

Bistro on Five is really nice on Infinity.

The Cafe Bacio is very similar to the one on S-class.

There is Qsine on deck 11. We really enjoyed it. If you get there when they first open at 6- and are a party of two or four- you are more apt to get a window seat, which I love.

The youth program and x-club teen programs are at the bow on deck 11 and were a big hit with my then 11 year old. The teen center is two stories and I thought more imaginative than the one on S-class.

There will be lectures, trivia, battle of the sexes (usually), cooking demonstrations, dance classes, etc. etc.

No lawn or glass-blowing

The indoor pool is a therapy pool and is warmer than the indoor pool on S-class. It's a really nice area with hot tubs also. In Iceland- I highly recommend using the outdoor hot tubs. They are a great place to take in the scenery. Just be ready to grab a robe when you get out.

The first Celebrity ship on which we sailed was the Eclipse, and the second was the Infinity. We had a great time on each. Each has its pluses and minuses, probably very subjective.

Here are a few things we liked better on the Infinity: a smaller ship, with three sets of elevators and stairs. The seating on the main floor of the theater was banquette-style and very comfortable for two people. The Rendezvous Lounge just forward of the MDR was a great place to hang out and get a drink before dinner.

One thing we did not like on the Infinity was the old style layout of the buffet -- it does not have separate stations as on the S-class ships. As a result, it always felt crowded; one of our fellow travelers likened it to a high school cafeteria without the trays.

The Infinity does not have the "wow" factor of the S-class ships, but that's not a reason not to sail on her.

We ate at Qsine on both ships, and enjoyed the experience better on the Infinity, possibly because we knew what to expect but also because we had a much better server. And we had a wonderful meal at the SS United States on the Infinity. You'll find Bistro on Five pretty much the same (which means very enjoyable).

I personally liked the solarium better on the Eclipse as I was not a big fan of the T-pool on the Infinity (but I seem to be in a minority there). I enjoyed the lawn on the Eclipse, and obviously that doesn't exist on the Infinity. No big deal there, I think you'll have a great time, particularly given the itinerary.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've just been looking back at my photos and remembered that I'd read somewhere about taking a hat - not something I'd ever think of for July holidays normally. It kept my ears warm hiking in the Faroe Islands and out at sea on the boat trip in Iceland, and was small enough to just throw in my bag the rest of the time. If you plan on doing something similar I'd recommend it :)