Is the Haven Worth it?

DebJ14

We had the OS on our last cruise on the Jewel and we certainly enjoyed it. Perks were lovely and fantastic service. Absolutely no complaints.

But you know I did miss the standard good old balcony cabin. Next cruise I'm thinking of buying the UDP and booking a balcony cabin. If we did book the Haven again it would be the 2 Bedroom cabin.

the 2 BR suites located elsewhere are exactly the same as the Haven 2 BR suites - other than having the Haven area - which you may or may not make use of.

Having the retractable roof over the Haven courtyard on most of the ships is an extremely big plus for traveling in the winter months. I think pools, in general, on a cruise ship are a pretty limited amenity but having a warm and dry place to relax makes a difference to me. On ships like the Breakaway, the outdoor Haven sun deck occupies a great front of ship location as well.

As with any luxury accommodation, I don't think you can have a blanket answer "Is it worth it." I did sail on the NCL Star (no Haven on that ship) and certainly missed the courtyard despite being in an incredible owners suite with a large front facing balcony.

I would agree it's up to the individual if it's worth it. But in our book it is very worth it! We have sailed in everything from a balcony to the GV and always try and do Haven suites when we cruise. This is partially because we can relax a lot more when we sail in this fashion and can get out of the rat race when we sail. We also enjoy the pampering!:D

But, it is a costly expense for vacation so I agree, experience it once if you can afford it and form your own opinion. Enjoy if you do and use the perks!

Really worth it on the Breakaway, Getaway type of ship. Once I have done the Breakaway it really hard to go back to the smaller ship. What don't have the haven restaurant and bar. It just feals like it a lesser value on the Gem, Jewel type of ship

It is for me. Might not be for you.

I am not "rolling in dough", but I work hard and therefore like to do it up right when I travel. For instance, just had my first trip on Spirit and decided the $65 charge for the wider front row seat was worth it to me. I was very happy with my choice. Might not matter to you.

Edited by DMH15
bad paragraph split

I would agree it's up to the individual if it's worth it. But in our book it is very worth it! We have sailed in everything from a balcony to the GV and always try and do Haven suites when we cruise. This is partially because we can relax a lot more when we sail in this fashion and can get out of the rat race when we sail. We also enjoy the pampering!:D

But' date=' it is a costly expense for vacation so I agree, [b']experience it once if you can afford it[/b] and form your own opinion. Enjoy if you do and use the perks!

My only issue is that many people who can afford it (myself included) simply don't want to spend the extra money for a few perks. I'd rather spend 28 days at sea in an OV than 7 days at sea in the Haven. Many millionaires become so because they refused to spend lavishly even when they could.

My only issue is that many people who can afford it (myself included) simply don't want to spend the extra money for a few perks. I'd rather spend 28 days at sea in an OV than 7 days at sea in the Haven. Many millionaires become so because they refused to spend lavishly even when they could.

.....but there is one thing you didn't factor in.

You're not married to the Queen!

;)

wasiii

Very true!

I've sailed on NCL three times...all in suites and twice with Haven access. On the BA, I loved being in the Haven although I only actually 'used' it (i.e., the pools ) once..on the last night during dinner hours and it was blissfully empty! On the Jewel on a CTN, I only walked through it once to see it (too much else to do on a 2 night cruise!!). On the Dawn, there is no Haven, and it was my first cruise, so I didn't even think of it!

In my personal view, the Haven itself is not the most important to me. The other perks that come with suites made all my NCL cruises fantastic! I am not a 'lounge at the pool all day' person; I prefer a private balcony any time!

What I will say, particularly about the Breakaway, is that if you want even a slight chance at having a quiet place to sit by a pool nearly anytime, then you almost need to be in the Haven. The BA pool deck is sooo crowded that it made me feel anxious every time I walked through the area...and I never went there intending to sit down! I sailed in July, 2013, and it was just so packed!

Whatever you decide I hope you have a terrific cruise!