Whale Watching

crewsin250

Spleen and Dawood for your info and opinion my next question is how far is it from the port of Kahului to the Pacific WW, we have rented a car and need to know driving time to decide which tour to take.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Paul

I did one a while back on Oahu on the Navatek - not sure who owns the ship now.

Actually, after a quick web search, it appears that the Navatek is operated by Atlantis Submarines now. (weird) The catamaran design (SWATH hull) means a more stable platform for watching whales. I remember it being OK - but not as good as it was on Maui. :)

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/tour_info.php?site=9&tour=79

Spleen

Lahaina is about a 45 minute to an hour drive from Kahului. Maalaea is on the way so subtract the original time (Kahului to Maalaea - 20 minutes) from that time to get the time from Maalaea to Lahaina.

Spleen

Generally, earlier is better. Although your results may vary, the water off west Maui is almost always calmer the earlier in the day you can go. Calm water (sometimes almost glassy!) makes sighting whale's spouts easier. It's also more calming for the tummy, if you're predisposed to uncalm tummies. Besides, the extra hours after the trip are generally more usable for one-day visitors.

What I mean is: If you have a 10 AM tour, the time before the tour is generally a "waiting mode" to get on the boat, and typically involves completely different activities than what you do upon your return (noonish). But if you're back from the tour at ten, those extra two hours can be part of one entire activity.

Hope that makes sense.... I simply prefer early starts to have more of the rest of the day to do stuff.

Archived