Rome for a day

TheFridge

Good morning fellow cruisers.

We are docking in Rome on the 20th June off the Independence of the Seas. While we are a group of 8 there will only be 5 going to Rome.

We are in Rome from 7am-7pm.

Have pretty much decided we are going to go solo and get the train to Rome but the question is what to do when we get there

Is Rome easy to negotiate in terms of using the public transport ?

Should we buy the BIRG ticket or normal train ticket and hop on hop off tour bus ticket ?

Should we book colesuem tickets in advance ? If so can someone suggest where please.

If we were to use the public transport where should we start and finish.

What should we try to get done by 4pm

Thanks in advance

Have pretty much decided we are going to go solo and get the train to Rome but the question is what to do when we get there

You need to draw up a list of what you want to do most of all. If you want to see the St Peter's I would start with that as the queues build up during the day and you can get a train to S Pietro from Civitavecchia without having to go right into the centre first.

Is Rome easy to negotiate in terms of using the public transport ?

If you mean getting to Rome, yes, there is lots of advice on this board about getting to the train station in Civitavecchia. Within Rome the metro is cheap and easy but Rome is really a city which you should walk around to see it best.

Should we buy the BIRG ticket or normal train ticket and hop on hop off tour bus ticket ?

I would just buy a ticket from the station. The ticket office is on your left just before you enter the station and they speak really good English. Just buy a local ticket, if you want to visit the Vatican get off at S. Pietro, if you want to go straight to the Colosseum get off at Roma Ostiense and it's a short hop on the Metro. (Again lots of advice on here if you use the search button). I've used the Hop on Hop off bus in Rome when I was there for a few days but I'm not sure I would recommend it for a quick one-day visit, it's prone to getting snarled up in traffic and some of the sights - Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon are still a walk away from the stops. I would use the metro and good old walking to get between places. Take a look on Google maps to get your bearings and work out how long it would take to walk

Should we book colesuem tickets in advance ? If so can someone suggest where please.

You can book Colosseum tickets in advance or wait until you get there and buy your ticket from The Forum which is 10 mins walk from the Colosseum and there has never been a long line there. The ticket gets you into the Forum and Colosseum so you can then walk back to the Colosseum and walk straight past the long lines.

If we were to use the public transport where should we start and finish.

See above for start. I would finish at Termini where all the trains start from. Since they can get crowded on the way back you have a better chance of getting a seat than if you catch the train at S Pietro or Ostiense

What should we try to get done by 4pm

I would start with a visit to Saint Peter's, then catch the metro to the Colosseum and after seeing that catch the metro to Spagna. This is the stop for Spanish Steps, I would then walk from Spanish Steps to see the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and whatever else you can fit in during your remaining time. The key thing is to get off the ship as soon as it docks, on the first port bus and walk quickly from the port bus to the station to maximise the time you get to Rome. We were there a few weeks ago, docked at 7 and managed to get the 7.44 train (there's another one at 7.58 and at around 8.15).

Thanks in advance

See above, hope that helps

Edited by Bobal

Once you get to Rome- skip the HOHO bus. It really isn't cost effective. For what you pay for the HOHO for two- you can taxi to the places you want for less money, get there faster and see just as much.

If you are in Rome for the day- do St. Peter's, the Colosseum, have lunch and stop by the Trevi fountain and Pantheon on the way back to the train station.

Yes- Rome is for walking but with limited time- you will be exhausted after doing the St. Peter's and the Colosseum even with taxi's to and fro. These sites are huge, you'll stand in line for a while and then walk. Add walking in the heat and you'll be miserable. Just taxi. For three- four taxi rides you'll spend 40-50 Euros. It's not that expensive.

Another option is to do a tour. Since you are a novice to Rome, a tour is a good way to make use of your limited time.

Thanks for the reply.. Cruising on a tight student budget this time around so every little saving helps. Ok by the sounds of it the HOHO is not the way to go so lets scratch that off the list.

Is there an official place to book tickets for Colosseum or will any site do like below

http://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

Thanks

The BIRG ticket is really the best deal; it's only 2 Euro more than two one-way train tickets (12 Euro vs. 10) and for that extra two Euro you have unlimited access to the buses, metro, and trams throughout Rome.

If you have planned out your itinerary for the day and you're sure you won't need public transit, then save the two Euro. Otherwise, it's a small price to pay for flexibility.

Edited by euro cruiser

This is what I posted on another thread and I stand by this!!

I would get off the train at Roma Ostiense and take the metro two stops to Colosseo. You come right out in front of it, can have a good look and and a photo op or two (or tour inside if that's your preference).. Then walk along the Via dei Fora Imperiale with good views of the forum on one side and Trajan's Market and Column on the other. Then you can walk to Piazza Venezia and the Pantheon easily. Stop for lunch. (you can do all that in 2-3 hours). Then you can meander to the Trevi Fountain and then to the Spanish Steps (1 hour). Then catch a cab to St.Peter's, go inside the basilica (free, and just a line for security check) and have a look--really not to be missed. Then walk to the San Pietro station for the ride back.

I have done this exactly on multiple occasions. Yes, it's whirlwind, but it works. We have a fave restaurant near the Spanish Steps and usually eat there, but we also have new fave near the Pantheon--either works. I have found it a good way to see the most in the shortest time.

The metro unfortunately is not very tourist friendly and other than the Colosseo stop does not get really close to other attractions. If you find yourselves short of time, I would skip the Spanish Steps--although well known, it really is just a large staircase.

I try to avoid Termini because it's a zoo and the tracks for the Civitavecchia train are three blocks even farther away. There is nothing you want to see close to Termini so IMO it's out of the way. Yes, you MAY have to stand part of the way if you get on the train at San Pietro but I just spent 30 minutes standing on BART last night and it wasn't the end of the world!

However, you COULD start at St. Peter's and end at the Colosseum and take the metro to Termini for the return trip if that works better for you...

Oops lol thank you. If we pre purchase the tickets will be saving time, as in will we avoid queuing?
Pre-purchasing the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine ticket will save you some time. You can also save time buy purchasing them at either the Palatine or Forum ticket offices rather than at the Colosseum, but there is a certain ease to knowing you have them in hand before you arrive. It's up to you if the processing fee is worth that ease and the few (very few) extra minutes.

Do you mind posting the names of those two fave restaurants near the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps? Thanks!

Certainly, anything for a Strawberry fan! At the Spanish Steps we like Ristorante alla Rampa; if you're facing the steps, it's around sort of behind the steps to the right. I love the pasta with walnuts, pears and gorgonzola! And for dessert, the vanilla gelato with orange sauce is to die for.

Near the Pantheon we like Enoteca Corsi, Via del Gesù, 87/88; open only for lunch, family run, lovely daughters who speak great English. The bonus is you can choose a bottle of wine from their shop in front, and enjoy it with your lunch.

Don't forget! If you have EU passports, and are over a certain age :D, you get into a lot of places FREE! Not the Vatican, of course, :rolleyes:, but publicly owned museums, the Colosseum, etc. We always have our Irish/English passports with us, just in case.