Is Belize Safe?

cruisingberger

I have been reading the boards and have never been to Belize. While the other ports on the Glory I feel comfortable with, Belize seems a little sketchy. For those of you who have been, did you find the poverty "overwhelming"? Did you encounter "Sea Lice" on a Cruise line sponsored excursion? I feel like it may be best to just skip this port and spend the day by the pool but DH wants to experience all it has to offer. I feel like after reading the boards it may offer more then we can handle?:confused:

I have been reading the boards and have never been to Belize. While the other ports on the Glory I feel comfortable with, Belize seems a little sketchy. For those of you who have been, did you find the poverty "overwhelming"? Did you encounter "Sea Lice" on a Cruise line sponsored excursion? I feel like it may be best to just skip this port and spend the day by the pool but DH wants to experience all it has to offer. I feel like after reading the boards it may offer more then we can handle?:confused:

We have been to Belize once on the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas when she used to sail out of Galveston, TX. We both enjoy visiting historical sites so we booked a cruise sponsored excursion to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins. It included lunch. It was a long day but well worth it to see that remarkable site.

You might enjoy seeing pictures my wife took and made into a slide show for her personal website. Just click on the link below.

Belize Shore Excursion to Lamanai Mayan Ruins

I don't know whether this site is available on your itinerary. Perhaps others will post their experiences.Happy cruising! It's a great way to see the world!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We went to Belize in a previous cruise and enjoyed it. Funny, we also on Mariner of the Seas. We took a tour of Cahal Pech, one of the many Mayan ruins in the country. I felt safe and we didn't encounter any of the mentioned sea lice.

Yes there is poverty, but it wasn't any worse than the other countries we've visited on a cruise.

I think if you choose an excursion from the ship you'll be fine.

Edited by TexasBelle

Regarding you question on "sea lice" or pica-pica as they are called: all tour operators will attempt to avoid any "infested areas" . However, where pica -pica are found isn't up to tour operators or ship excursions. They can be anywhere. Since this is a stage of development for the thimble jelly fish their presence is mostly in the spring, April and May. While the "sting" isn't painful, they do leave an itchy red spot. Best prevention is covering exposed skin with Vaseline. If you find a mark, apply white vinegar. If you scratch it and the spot becomes a rash any good antihistamine cream will take care of it. Pica-Pica bite aren't in the same league as toxic jellyfish stings, more like nuisance "no-see'um" bites.

This question keeps popping up. Do you really think the cruiseline would take people to a dangerous spot? They cancel at the drop of a hat if there is trouble. 85,000 cruisers went to Belize City last year. Over 211,000 flew in. Do you really think Belize is a dangerous place? Would you hesitate to visit Washington DC? Chicago? LA? Just don't get drunk and wander around the streets looking to be mugged and you'll be ok. I remember one woman wrote on this site that she knew Belize was dangerous because there were armed guards at the port. I have NEVER been to a port in Asia, Europe, the Mediterreanean, the Caribbean, Alaska, the Baltic, anywhere! that there weren't armed guards at the port. Geesh.