Yukon: best by Train, Bus or a combination of the 2?

Karysa

We also like to do the rental car + train combo as it gives you the best of both.

But it means having at least one member of your party who does not want to ride the train to drive the car up to the Carcross train station to pick up the others there when they get off the train.

The driver could ride the train from Carcross back down to Skagway on the return trip later in the day, if there is another member of your party willing to drive the car from the Carcross train station back down to Skagway.

But that means you need to keep an eye on the time to coordinate your return drive from Emerald Lake back down to Carcross to meet the southbound train, which is why we prefer the northbound train ride instead. It is just more relaxing that way.

If you have not taken that drive up into the Yukon before, I highly recommend getting Murray's excellent guide, which tells you everything to see and do along the way.

If you are not already familiar with it, just google Murray's guide.

I have just returned from a northbound Radiance OTS and took a bus tour to the white pass summit, into Carcross, and to emerald lake. We booked outside of the cruise line, with Frontier excursions, who were excellent and our guide Mike was also great and knowledgable. Our tour was amazing, we saw four bears along the side of the road and we stopped for pictures of all three of them and the scenery was outstanding. If I was to go again, I would definitely choose the bus. I loved the ability to stop at the sight of wildlife and get of the bus for any good photo opportunities.

I would highly recommend Chilkoot Charters for the Train/Van combo. We did it on our first trip to Skagway and after doing other things our more recent visits, we have booked it again for our upcoming trip with the combo that goes all the way to Lake Bennett which was not available last time we did this several years ago. In subsequent years we have done the journey via rental car as well which was great, but nothing beats riding the train as you get a completely different vantage point. And when somoene else is driving the van, all of you in your party can take in the scenery while driving a car means that the driver has to miss out a bit while focusing on the road.

I enjoyed my Bennett and Yukon trip with Chilkoot Charters. I took the train from Skagway to Carcross with a lunch stop and tour of Bennett then on to Carcross where a small tour bus awaits to take us to Emerald lake and the Carcross Desert and then back down the hy to Skagway.

Now other options include all bus tours and combo tours that use the train between Fraser and Skagway and of course the rental car DIY. There is only one road between Skagway and Carcross so it is hard to get lost. The all railroad to Carcross allows you to see all of lake Bennett - not just the Carcross end and the town of Bennett holds a lot of gold rush history that you will only experience on that trip. BTW there is no return train to Skagway that night - the next train leaves the next day so the tour runs in reverse.

I highly recommend using one of the local charter companies rather than using a cruise ship excursion. The busses are smaller and can stop at places the big busses can't. Their drivers are usually locals who know the area and history very well.

No matter what you will enjoy your Yukon experience.

I have done the train/bus combination 8 hr as well as the bus only 8 hr. They both basically did the same. The cost for the train was a bit more costly. For me I liked the combination tour better since more ease of seeing the scenery there. Honestly, if it weren't for cost we would have done the train the second time. Since I had done it prior I wasn't that concerned not to be able to again when my husband didn't care to because of the price difference.

I neglected to mention that the Klondike Summit & Historic City Tour by bus only lasts 2 1/2 hours and costs about $49 per adult. We saw a lot in that short period of time.

Take a look at the slide show my wife made with pictures she took and posted on her personal website. It will give you a nice idea of the tour.

Skagway ~ Klondike Summit & Historic City Tour by bus

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I neglected to mention that the Klondike Summit & Historic City Tour by bus only lasts 2 1/2 hours and costs about $49 per adult. We saw a lot in that short period of time.

Take a look at the slide show my wife made with pictures she took and posted on her personal website. It will give you a nice idea of the tour.

Skagway ~ Klondike Summit & Historic City Tour by bus

Happy cruising!

Enjoyed your slide show, beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to go to Alaska next month.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm currently leaning towards a bus /train combo that includes an optional rolling husky sled ride. I would never swim with enclosed dolphins and took the gondola up in Fira, Santorini instead of the donkey ride and actually walked up from Amoudi Bay in Oia, Santorini instead of taking the donkey's because I am concerned that these activities may be animal cruelty. Does the husky pull ride fit into this same category or do these animals enjoy doing this?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm currently leaning towards a bus /train combo that includes an optional rolling husky sled ride. I would never swim with enclosed dolphins and took the gondola up in Fira, Santorini instead of the donkey ride and actually walked up from Amoudi Bay in Oia, Santorini instead of taking the donkey's because I am concerned that these activities may be animal cruelty. Does the husky pull ride fit into this same category or do these animals enjoy doing this?

Not even close to those donkeys going up the switchbacks in Santorini. The dogs are bred to run and usually can't wait to be pulling a sled.

Not even close to those donkeys going up the switchbacks in Santorini. The dogs are bred to run and usually can't wait to be pulling a sled.

I appreciate your point of view and hope that others not from Alaska where this seems to be a way of life and livelyhood will chime in as well.

We have booked a van tour with dyea dave to Emerald Lake. They get excellent reviews. One option is to take the train on the return from Fraser to Skagway. This effectively doubles the price of the tour for the last 25% of the journey.

Daves tour is $79pp and the train ticket adds $84pp.

As we are unlikely to ever return to Alaska, is this added expense for a short journey worth it? What do you experience on the train from Fraser to Skagway that you dont get to see by road.

On the Husky comments. IMO being from Australia, i would prefer to see the real deal being huskies pulling a sled on snow, not a cart designed for the tourist trap.

If you wouldn't swim w/ dolphins in captivity, I don't think you would truly enjoy the dog cart ride. After all, it is a business. They are bred to make money, but it is a livelihood, in a sense not much different than farming.

If you wouldn't swim w/ dolphins in captivity, I don't think you would truly enjoy the dog cart ride. After all, it is a business. They are bred to make money, but it is a livelihood, in a sense not much different than farming.

I realize that it is a business but are you saying that it's much the same as swimming with dolphins in captivity? That's what I am trying to determine. If that's the case then I will need to look for a company that does the Yukon train ride/bus combination that does not offer a husky/sled dog excursion. I will do more research in to the business side of this as well to educate myself. Thanks and if anyone here can enlighten me I am interested.:)

Just returned from Radiance southbound cruise and from Skagway used Chilkoot tours for the day long train/bus/dog cart tour. This was a great tour and one of the highlights of our trip.

Regarding your concern about the dogs, don't worry! My husband and I are animal lovers and our canine pets have always been rescue dogs. Once the dogs know it's time for a ride, they go nuts (barking, jumping, etc). You can tell that they can't wait for their turn! Our ride was around 10-15 minutes and included a rest/water stop for the dogs. The young lady that led our ride of 6 people only gave verbal commands to the dogs and she told us how she picked out certain dogs for various parts of each team based on the dogs personality, etc.

We witnessed a dog sledding demo in Denali NP with their dogs that are actually used in the winter months. Once the dogs knew it was time to take one of the rangers around the viewing area, they also went crazy barking and jumping around. These dogs love what they do and are treated very well. We didn't ask this during our Yukon dog cart ride but in Denali, the question about when the dogs are retired came up. The answer was before they actually needed to retire because each dog was adopted to a good home and they wanted the new families to have several years with their adopted dog. At both spots, the dogs were very friendly, loved to be petted and were not aggressive. Usually, that is a good sign the animal is well taken care of.

I don't know if that helps or not but if you happen to be on the same Chilkoot tour we were on, I would think you could ask at the time you reserve if you could add on the dog cart portion once you get there. There were signs up saying you could buy a 15min dog cart ride for $35(pretty sure that is correct). About half the people on our tour had signed up for the dog cart ride which was at the same spot we had for lunch. We were given our time to check in for the ride immediately upon arrival at the lunch stop but you might be able to check out the dog cart area first (it's right behind the lunch area) and then buy tickets if you are satisfied. Just fyi, other tour groups were also using this same area for lunch/ touring on your own and visiting with the dogs.

I also recommend Chilkoot Tours. We did the Bennett Excursion with the bus up to Emerald Lake and Bennett with the train trip back. It was fabulous! Just make sure you bring your passport because you will enter into Canada.

I also recommend Chilkoot Tours. We did the Bennett Excursion with the bus up to Emerald Lake and Bennett with the train trip back. It was fabulous! Just make sure you bring your passport because you will enter into Canada.

This is the company I was looking at but they stop going to Bennett before our stop date this September.

Just returned from Radiance southbound cruise and from Skagway used Chilkoot tours for the day long train/bus/dog cart tour. This was a great tour and one of the highlights of our trip.

Regarding your concern about the dogs, don't worry! My husband and I are animal lovers and our canine pets have always been rescue dogs. Once the dogs know it's time for a ride, they go nuts (barking, jumping, etc). You can tell that they can't wait for their turn! Our ride was around 10-15 minutes and included a rest/water stop for the dogs. The young lady that led our ride of 6 people only gave verbal commands to the dogs and she told us how she picked out certain dogs for various parts of each team based on the dogs personality, etc.

We witnessed a dog sledding demo in Denali NP with their dogs that are actually used in the winter months. Once the dogs knew it was time to take one of the rangers around the viewing area, they also went crazy barking and jumping around. These dogs love what they do and are treated very well. We didn't ask this during our Yukon dog cart ride but in Denali, the question about when the dogs are retired came up. The answer was before they actually needed to retire because each dog was adopted to a good home and they wanted the new families to have several years with their adopted dog. At both spots, the dogs were very friendly, loved to be petted and were not aggressive. Usually, that is a good sign the animal is well taken care of.

I don't know if that helps or not but if you happen to be on the same Chilkoot tour we were on, I would think you could ask at the time you reserve if you could add on the dog cart portion once you get there. There were signs up saying you could buy a 15min dog cart ride for $35(pretty sure that is correct). About half the people on our tour had signed up for the dog cart ride which was at the same spot we had for lunch. We were given our time to check in for the ride immediately upon arrival at the lunch stop but you might be able to check out the dog cart area first (it's right behind the lunch area) and then buy tickets if you are satisfied. Just fyi, other tour groups were also using this same area for lunch/ touring on your own and visiting with the dogs.

Thank you for your thorough answer to my question. Somehow barking, happy dogs is what I thought we would find. I appreciate the suggestion to not book the sledding until I see the place for myself but just like in the park in Cozumel that has dolphin swims I just wouldn't want them to have any of my money not just the sledding part and that's why we never went to that park. Like I said in an earlier post today I am going to do a little research on this on my own as well. Thanks again:)

The dog cart rides are at Caribou Crossing, close to the town of Carcross. That is where the commercial tour buses and vans usually stop for lunch. There is a museum of stuffed animals too. The place has a reputation as a typical tourist trap.

But the puppies are cute and children enjoy the dog cart rides.

If you drive your own rental car, you have the flexibility to stop when and where you like, for as long or short a time as you wish, so you can check out Caribou Crossing to see how crowded the place is on your way up.

If the crowds are already there, you can just continue on up to Emerald Lake, tour the little desert and the town of Carcross, and stop to have lunch. (The new bakery at Carcross has been recommended recently for their soups, sandwiches and baked goods.)

Then if you wish, it is easy to return to Caribou Crossing for the puppies and dog cart rides later in the afternoon after the crowds have cleared out.

Edited by fleckle

The dog cart rides are at Caribou Crossing, close to the town of Carcross. That is where the commercial tour buses and vans usually stop for lunch. There is a museum of stuffed animals too. The place has a reputation as a typical tourist trap.

But the puppies are cute and children enjoy the dog cart rides.

If you drive your own rental car, you have the flexibility to stop when and where you like, for as long or short a time as you wish, so you can check out Caribou Crossing to see how crowded the place is on your way up.

If the crowds are already there, you can just continue on up to Emerald Lake, tour the little desert and the town of Carcross, and stop to have lunch. (The new bakery at Carcross has been recommended recently for their soups, sandwiches and baked goods.)

Then if you wish, it is easy to return to Caribou Crossing for the puppies and dog cart rides later in the afternoon after the crowds have cleared out.

Is it easy to do by rental car? I only ask because DH and I don't do this very well together. I often joke that GPS has saved our marriage.:D

Thanks for posting about your personal experience. I am still conflicted after doing some online research into the dog sled business though.

Is it easy to do by rental car? I only ask because DH and I don't do this very well together. I often joke that GPS has saved our marriage.:D
It is a very easy drive. No need for GPS as there is only the one road so it would be almost impossible to get lost.

Except for a few places along the way, the traffic is light or non-existent.

You can drive for miles on some stretches of road without seeing another car and go as slowly as you wish, so the driver gets to look around at the scenery.

There are only a few places along the way that require the driver's full concentration on the road.

There are lots of pullouts all along the way.

I like to drive slowly and look around at the scenery, so if another car comes up behind me, I just pull over at the next pullout to let it pass and then continue on at my own pace.

As Budget Queen and many others have recommended here on Cruise Critic, I also highly recommend getting Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway to bring along with you. It was the most worthwhile $5 we spent for the cruise.

Just google Murray's Guide.

Murray describes everything to see and do along the way, mile by mile.

It is almost like having Murray right there in the car with you.