Hiking?

ChrisFromOxford

We are scheduled for a visit on 11/14. I have done a bit of research and have found that the hiking is great and this is a safe place. Our port is short (hey that rhymes) but just wondering if there are any suggestions for a hiking trip. I did find an excursion, but it is only 1.2 miles. We were looking to hike 3-5 miles, posssibly thru a rain forest and/or beach, with or without a group. Should we hire a cab to get us to where we are going? Or. are there bike rentals right in the port? Is it really safe for a couple by themselves?

Thanks

I think it's short for bong hike. could you tell me how long your boat will stay at port? However, I think the best you can do is a short hike in the rain forest. Ask a cab driver to let you at the Alma River (it's around fort-de-france, on the "route de la Trace"). There, you'll find a hike path. It's safe : the national forest office marks it out. You can follow the river and even have a bath . Of course, you'll have to bring water, have good shoes, and another shirt (tropical forest means : rain or sweat!!!:) ). Another thing : if it rains when you come don't go hiking and try to visit Balata's garden which are safer.

Many thanks for the information. My husband wants to know...are there dangerous snakes or animals (two or four legs) in the forest?

Also, do you suggest a particular hiking trail map? I would need one in English.

If we rented a car...isn't the driving a bit congested?

Thanks and have a great day!

:)

Indeed there are snakes in martinique but I never saw one. Snakes are afraid of noise (make noise while walking) and the national forest office "cleans" the hiking trails to avoid snakes' nests( I don't know exactly the word). There are no other danger from animals.

To do the Alma hike you don't need any map. Alma is very close to Fort-de-France so even if there are traffic jams it's for a short time. The other solution is to ask a cabdriver to let you at Alma and to get you back to the ship but maybe he won't accept.

I hope this will help you.

Have a great day too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the trail of the alma river can be short or long it depends on what you choose. you can even have a bath in the river.

To rent a car you'll have to go to fort-de-france downtown, you'll find Budget or Europcar.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay.:D

I found this blogg about hiking in Martinique. Sorry many things are in french but some pages are in english. As you can see it, the Alma river hike can be very "sporty", there are about 20 canyons!!! but there is a trail in the forest rounding the river that allow you to get to the first canyon. You can have a bath there (2 m deep). Beware of the rain!! It's still the rainy season in here and the water of the rivers can be quickly very powerful (I hope you understood my bad english). So if the rain comes when you walk, don't go in the water... it will be safer.

Enjoy your hike and tell me on this board if you liked it when you come back ok?

http://www.blogg.org/blog-23643-album-2729-offset-20.html

Archived