Carnival Valor crew member arrested in St Kitts

Salacia

"Victim and her family" leads me to believe this was a child. A huge fear of mine when I leave my daughter in Camp Carnival. Prayers for this family.

I would not surmise that it is a child from that quote. Female adults also travel with family....

US law gives jurisdiction to the US for a rape that occurs to a US national on board a cruise ship. They may have concurrent jurisdiction to an other country as well.

see http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg2/cgis/Docs/HR3360CruiseVesselSecurityandSafetyActof2010.pdf

‘‘(iv) the incident concerns a victim or perpetrator

who is a United States national on a vessel during

a voyage that departed from or will arrive at a United States Port"

the "law of the Seas" generally also give jurisdiction to the county the ship is registered and the next port if not inside a countries territorial water.

The law also highly restricts the release of information to the public(not to law enforcement officials). Its also likely the FBI was notified.

Can he be charged in both places? absolutely!

St. Kitts legal system

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/rwinslow/namerica/stkittsnevis.html

Edited by smeyer418

US law gives jurisdiction to the US for a rape that occurs to a US national on board a cruise ship. They may have concurrent jurisdiction to an other country as well.

see http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg2/cgis/Docs/HR3360CruiseVesselSecurityandSafetyActof2010.pdf

‘‘(iv) the incident concerns a victim or perpetrator

who is a United States national on a vessel during

a voyage that departed from or will arrive at a United States Port"

the "law of the Seas" generally also give jurisdiction to the county the ship is registered and the next port if not inside a countries territorial water.

The law also highly restricts the release of information to the public(not to law enforcement officials). Its also likely the FBI was notified.

Can he be charged in both places? absolutely!

St. Kitts legal system

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/rwinslow/namerica/stkittsnevis.html

Hi smeyer. Thanks for your research.

Of course, we don't know if the alleged victim is a US citizen. But whatever her citizenship is, a statement from Carnival should be forthcoming in an effort to avoid speculation and to serve justice.

Regards,

Salacia

Hi smeyer. Thanks for your research.

Of course, we don't know if the alleged victim is a US citizen. But whatever her citizenship is, a statement from Carnival should be forthcoming in an effort to avoid speculation and to serve justice.

Regards,

Salacia

actually the law says US national which includes citizens and permanent residents. If Carnival wanted to issue a statement they would have already. They won't.(IMO)

actually the law says US national which includes citizens and permanent residents. If Carnival wanted to issue a statement they would have already. They won't.(IMO)

smeyer, I want to believe you are wrong, but I'm afraid you are right about Carnival issuing no statement regarding this alleged crime, unless there is a demand for a response - and that doesn't seem to be forthcoming from either passengers or news reporters. Why is that?

On another CCL ship ( Queen Mary 2), a crew member confessed and plead guilty to a series of henious crimes against children, so there was no trial in a UK Court. The press barely noticed. Some passengers don't want to know, either than or now.

Whether or not there was a crime committed on the Carnival Valor (and there was apparently enough cause to hold a crew member in jail), Carnival needs to make a statement. -S.

smeyer, I want to believe you are wrong, but I'm afraid you are right about Carnival issuing no statement regarding this alleged crime, unless there is a demand for a response - and that doesn't seem to be forthcoming from either passengers or news reporters. Why is that?

On another CCL ship ( Queen Mary 2), a crew member confessed and plead guilty to a series of henious crimes against children, so there was no trial in a UK Court. The press barely noticed. Some passengers don't want to know, either than or now.

Whether or not there was a crime committed on the Carnival Valor (and there was apparently enough cause to hold a crew member in jail), Carnival needs to make a statement. -S.

the UK has laws against pre-trial publicity= stringent ones to protect the rights of the accused. The first amendment protects our press in most such cases. So I am not surprised. The only way the press will get involved is if the victim or the victim's family contacts them and is willing to talk. Even in the US, the victims name will not be published.

the UK has laws against pre-trial publicity= stringent ones to protect the rights of the accused. The first amendment protects our press in most such cases. So I am not surprised. The only way the press will get involved is if the victim or the victim's family contacts them and is willing to talk. Even in the US, the victims name will not be published.

Regarding the UK case, there was no trial. The Defend pleaded guilty, and was sentenced. End of case. The cruise line co-operated with the inquiry. Read the reports, and see if you are satisfied with the investigation and sentence.

I disagree with you that "The only way the press will get involved is if the victim or the victim's family contacts them and is willing to talk". I don't need to know the name of the alleged victim. But a crew member is held in St. Kitts jail for the crime of rape against a passenger.

As a frequent passenger on cruise ships, I believe that it is important for the facts of any crime committed on board to come to light, while protecting victim's rights to privacy, and the accused right to defense. -Salacia

-

Edited by Salacia