How often and how many time changes?

Fog123

We are doing the Inside Passage with stops at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. We know enough to bring some form of clock with us.

I've seen comments about people forgetting to account for the time changes and I was curious as to how often they occur and how you are notified of them.

Thanks much.

I've seen comments about people forgetting to account for the time changes and I was curious as to how often they occur and how you are notified of them.

With the exception of the Aleutians, all of Alaska is the same time zone (4 hours behind Eastern; 1 hour behind Pacific). So you won't have to worry about changing your clock in Alaska. You don't say where you are departing from, but if it's Seattle or Vancouver, you'll be on Pacific Time when you depart and go back another hour at your first Alaskan port.

I just got back from a northbound cruise on the Coral Princess from Vancouver. We turned our clocks back on the second night (sea day) before reaching our first port of Ketchikan.

It was actually a blessing for us to get the extra hour of sleep before arriving in Ketchikan at 6:30 a.m.

The time change takes place at 2:00 a.m. Don't worry, you will be reminded of it frequently. The On Location bulletin will have it in print and then the crew will reference it many times. Enjoy your trip!

Also the cruise director reminds us at the show the evening before the time change and at his/her little talk on the TV.

Additionally they post it on the TV channel that shows the time and date, and they automatically change the time on the telephone in your cabin.

With all those notices it seems that it would be almost impossible to miss the time change, but despite all those reminders, I guess there will still be someone who does. ;)

There is really no need to bring a clock with you, unless you just like your own clock.

On an Alaska cruise, there is only one time change heading northbound (where you gain an hour) and one heading southbound (where you lose an hour).