How in the world did we ever....

Boozebabe

Newly divorced - on my 40th birthday in 2001. I booked a solo cruise on Carnival Jubilee, and was hoping for the Love Boat! A 1A inside cabin right behind the elevator on the lowest deck was perfect. Dinner was with 5 women ( two sisters, mother / daughter and myself) and a sweet newlywed couple from Italy. I booked only ship excursions and even met a divorced gentleman traveling with his kids - certainly not the Love Boat but very nice. It really was so simple, I found myself bored a couple of times but quickly did a reality check and just relaxed and enjoyed that I had nothing I had to do.

Today, I am forcing myself to NOT overplan but just get a little smarter about some things by reading CruiseCritic. By the way, do cabin doors open inward on ships and block the bathroom doors and are they handles silver or brass? I need to know to plan what hand I should carry my sea pass in when returning to my cabin at night. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I booked my first cruise in 1976, inspired by the book "The Love Boats," on which the TV series was based. Of course I booked with a TA. I got cruise brochures to look over, and all of them said that you had to book with a TA and not the cruiseline. I wasn't able to ask for a specific cabin, and I wouldn't find out my cabin number until approx. 6 weeks before sailing. That didn't bother me. I doubt if it bothered anyone.

I had to learn the specifics by reading the brochure and the daily newsletters. I found out that there were first and second sittings for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (as opposed to dinner only nowadays), except for the days we were in port, and if I had to miss my assigned time for breakfast or lunch, I had to go to the buffet by the swimming pool or get room service. "The Love Boats" had said that there was always morning bouillon and afternoon tea. I never saw morning bouillon, but there was always afternoon tea. There weren't any surcharge restaurants back then or a dinner buffet. If you were late for dinner, you found out that the doors were locked, and you had to order room service.

Cocktails were very cheap, a fraction of the price they were going for in the USA. In New York City, anyway.

The dress code in the newsletters said what we should wear after 6:00 PM every night, and I don't think it occurred to people to say, "I'll wear what I want! It's my vacation!"

I got information about the ports of call from Arthur Frommer and Temple Fielding's books from the library, and I booked my shore excursions on board, same as everyone else.

Unfortunately, my first cruise was on HA, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with it. I cruised with them again in 1981 (after trying out a couple of other cruiselines) and my beliefs about them were confirmed that HA wasn't my style. I guess CC would have helped me figure that out sooner.

I sail in 3 weeks - but honest to goodness I wish I NEVER EVER had found CC. I'm a worrier and so concerned that the population on the boat will be a microcosm of the people I have seen here. There are some very nice helpful people - but I pray I don't spend my cruise with the prima dona knit pickers who can't be satisfied with anything or agree with anyone about anything. Fortunately, the helpful people have told me where to escape from them!!!

However, I've learned where to find the least critical groups and to click the ignore button!!!

Newly divorced - on my 40th birthday in 2001. I booked a solo cruise on Carnival Jubilee, and was hoping for the Love Boat! A 1A inside cabin right behind the elevator on the lowest deck was perfect. Dinner was with 5 women ( two sisters, mother / daughter and myself) and a sweet newlywed couple from Italy. I booked only ship excursions and even met a divorced gentleman traveling with his kids - certainly not the Love Boat but very nice. It really was so simple, I found myself bored a couple of times but quickly did a reality check and just relaxed and enjoyed that I had nothing I had to do.

Today, I am forcing myself to NOT overplan but just get a little smarter about some things by reading CruiseCritic. By the way, do cabin doors open inward on ships and block the bathroom doors and are they handles silver or brass? I need to know to plan what hand I should carry my sea pass in when returning to my cabin at night. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the doors I've ever had opened INTO the cabin. But the problem arises when I am trying to juggle that giant piece of chocolate cake I JUST HAD TO HAVE ( because there just wasn't enough to eat at dinner) and the DOD that I'm going to enjoy in the dark on my balcony. Do I hold the cake in my left hand and put the drink on the floor while I use my right hand to insert the keycard? "Surely someone has been in this predicament and can give advice". she said, with her tongue planted firmly in her cheek. Silver or brass? Haven't a clue but I'm sure someone has a picture.

Edited by Boozebabe

I sail in 3 weeks - but honest to goodness I wish I NEVER EVER had found CC. I'm a worrier and so concerned that the population on the boat will be a microcosm of the people I have seen here. There are some very nice helpful people - but I pray I don't spend my cruise with the prima dona knit pickers who can't be satisfied with anything or agree with anyone about anything. Fortunately, the helpful people have told me where to escape from them!!!

However, I've learned where to find the least critical groups and to click the ignore button!!!

Other peoples opinions can be good and bad. And you know what they say about opinions. "They are like flatulance emission devices. Everyone has one."

I have found volumes of great advice here but I also love the element of surprise. I glean what I want and take the rest with a grain of salt. And I've had the most wonderful time on each and every one of my 17 cruises. Relax you'll have a ball too.

Thanks for one of the best posts I have eer seen on these forums. You summed it all up beautifully!

Our first cruise was in 1968 and most here have no idea of what cruising was like back then They had started converting ocean liners to cruise ships. What a long way the industry has come.

No Cruise Critic back then. Heck, no internet back then. A whole other world.

Thank you for the nice compliment. I appreciate it. Each cruise we take we learn a little bit more. Sometimes from others and sometime through our own exploration.

I hear ya! Our first cruise was in in 1979 on our honeymoon. Our TA made all the arrangements and my Dad arranged for a reception on board for everyone to come onboard to toast our new life together. That was before the Achille Lauro and they no longer allow a Bon Voyage party on board. :(

Everyone stayed at the pier as we cast off and we waved and threw streamers. Had no expectations and guess what? It started an addiction that has lasted 35 years and included 2 sons that have sailed with us and continue to do so.

I love Cruisecritic, really do, have been a member since 2002 ..but please don't over plan. Leave something to discover on your own. You won't regret it.

Bon Voyage to all!

I did my first 5 cruises without CC. I had a great time on all. However, I would have loved to have CC. I don't use CC to plan every minute of my cruise. I use it to find out about things like cabin choice, some things I might want to try on the menu, finding private tour guides, quiet places on the ship that might not be obvious when you are walking around, etc. So I use CC to enhance and already wonderful experience. Plus, I think CC is fun. I love reading about people's experiences.:):)