Shark ray alley tours?

mitsugirly

So we will be in Belize in November and we are cruising with some other cruise friends from a previous cruise.

We have decided that we are going to do the shark ray alley tour. But, I'm having a bit of a problem understanding it a little and don't know who to go with.

Since this is a tender port, it's really making things difficult.

I have read DO NOT use Coral Breeze (and it looks like with all the review post that they seem to be taking bookings and then putting people on other tours...never knowing who you might be with, so that's not cool).

I have read that one of the most excellent tour guides is caveman, but the problem is, his half day 3 1/2 hour tour is with you getting your party to Caye Caulker for the tour. Using the water taxi and with it only coming and going during certain times (I even looked up the express taxi), they only seem to run (at the most) once every hour, and other times every hour and a half. So this is kinda scarey to me to think if we miss one of the water taxi's, we are left to wait for another hour or longer. Sigh. I would really love to go with him. His reviews and comments on both TA, here and his fb page are phenomenal.

Then I heard high praises about Lil Alphonse. However, he doesn't really have a website that you can book with and not a lot of information there, but comes highly recommended. Sigh

Shore Excursioneer-They seem to only do the airplane ride over and they meet you at the airport (which would be ok), but we have several in our party that is against flying. So...I don't see them having an option to go by boat.

Ecotours Belize-They offer both boat and air there. It doesn't really say if they pick you up at the port or if you are responsible for getting there yourself.

Discover Belize (Belize exotic adventures)-It says that transportation is included, but doesn't mention how or by what. It also doesn't really mention if they take cruisers and it says 5 1/2 hours long. :confused: (Which most seem to say 3 1/2 hours <--which has to be right for cruisers).

Splash Waves tours-meet you right outside the port, so they obviously do ship tours, but doesn't really tell you much more.

My head is spinning and I would like to know who others have used and what your experience was with them. Did they pick you up at the port? How long was the tour? Where did they take you? Friendly? Crowded or personal tour? If you did it on your own (meeting the tour guide at Caye Caulker or Ambergris) how did it work out and what did you do?

Now I am aware that they say if you do the boat tour and it takes you to Caye Caulker, that shark ray alley....is not the "real" shark ray alley and just a portion. In order for you to go to the "real" shark ray alley, you must get over to Ambergris. Obviously that's probably not going to be an option for us since some don't want to fly over to San Pedro.

Thoughts? There will be 7 of us at least doing this tour. :)

I am glad you asked this question. We are leaning towards a water taxi to caye caulker and private tour. I hope someone's posts some useful info.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Not very many people biting on this one. Grrr...I really hope someone can suggest something. We have a pretty decent size group that's wanting to possibly go, but can't decide with who and how.

Has anyone done the ship excursion? I can't imagine it being too great, but if that's the only "safe" way to go and knowing that you won't get left behind due to the long boat ride and tenders. :confused:

If you do a search under this forum for Ivar you will see my brief review of our experience with Ivar. We think we ended up with the best. It was our favorite day of the cruise and he made sure we had plenty of time in the water.

Btw, the snorkeling at Belize where he took us made Maya Key look dead.

Edited by wantocruisemore

If you do a search under this forum for Ivar you will see my brief review of our experience with Ivar. We think we ended up with the best. It was our favorite day of the cruise and he made sure we had plenty of time in the water.

Btw, the snorkeling at Belize where he took us made Maya Key look dead.

I have seen a few post here and there mentioning how much you like him, but it didn't really give much of a description as to what you did, what you saw, how long the tour was, how you made it over there and so on. I'm a detail girl and need to know the details for planning. :D

Kim, Sad to say, but you better count the Ma'ams out on this one. It is a bit too 'adventurous' and I can guarantee you that two of them wouldn't even get out of the boat. The plane is the only way to go, so just go with Werecat and the vet, have a great time and show us the amazing pics after you safely (and on time) get back on the ship that afternoon!

Trying one last time..........I sent out a Ma'am email about the ship excursion, which sounds milder (hehehe) and with a guarantee that they wait for us. It actually goes to Caye Caulker. My sister Kim is crazy about turtles, among other animals, and I saw so many of them in photos taken there. I would hate for her to miss that.

I asked for a quick response back from them and will check my mail tonight after work. Cross your fingers!

I have seen a few post here and there mentioning how much you like him, but it didn't really give much of a description as to what you did, what you saw, how long the tour was, how you made it over there and so on. I'm a detail girl and need to know the details for planning. :D

Understand. I found him through this board and emailed him. There were 5 of us, DH, my DD's who is autistic, my other DD who just graduated from college and a friend of hers who went with us and then me.

We lined up for tender tickets early and got on the first tender. Tender landed in Belize and we met Ivar right outside the entrance to Port 1, which is far right as you face the port. He had a sign for us.

We walked a couple of blocks to where he had the boat waiting. He explained they don't let him dock at port to pick up but we could to let off afterward. The boat was about a 25 ft, maybe a little longer. He introduced the captain and a young man who is training for his guides license. We headed out by boat a top speed. After about 45 min boat ride where he constantly told us all about Belize, etc. he stopped for a quick stop at Caye Caulker for bait. Then we headed over to Shark Ray Alley. We were the only boat there which he said was unusual. He got in the water with us and the stingray swarmed around us like cats, rubbing up against us. The water was not over our heads, we had our snorkel gear on. He talked to us about the stingrays etc and then we would pick out other fish he ided. We saw a barracuda and some sharks, but they did not come in close enough to touch. We did not need our fins on there, several conchs, sea grass and sandy. After we had been in the water a good while, we got back on the boat and moved over to the reef.

The water there was just a little rougher but it was gorgeous after we put our head under. He took us on about a 45 min or longer snorkel through the coral. We saw lots of fish and beautiful, healthy colorful coral. We were exhausted afterward and got back on board. He made us rum drinks and pulled out salsa and chips. He also had sodas and waters for us he had offered earlier.

During the time we were snacking the Carnival tour boat pulled up over at shark ray alley. He pointed out how crowded they were. They were in the water and had left while we were still snacking and enjoying everything. They did not go to the reef like us.

Then we headed over to Caye Caulker for one lunch. It was getting around 1pm by then. We had met him around 9am. We had a great lunch at the Rainbow rest. Great beer, burritos, and delicious rice and beans. After this we had a little time to walk around and do a little shopping. Then headed back to the boat for the ride back. Some took a nap on the bow of the boat. We got back to the port about 4:15, about an hour before the last tender.

It was a perfect day. I haven't uploaded any photos yet, haven't had time since I got back. He was great with my disabled Dd who was afraid of the sharks. I can highly recommend him. If any questions, ask away.

Because of him we want to do a land tour of Belize with a few days on land to go to ruins and then a few days on Caye Caulker snorkeling. We will use him again.

Kim' date=' Sad to say, but you better count the Ma'ams out on this one. It is a bit too 'adventurous' and I can guarantee you that two of them wouldn't even get out of the boat. The plane is the only way to go, so just go with Werecat and the vet, have a great time and show us the amazing pics after you safely (and on time) get back on the ship that afternoon! [/size']

:(

Trying one last time..........I sent out a Ma'am email about the ship excursion' date=' which sounds milder (hehehe) and with a guarantee that they wait for us. It actually goes to Caye Caulker. My sister Kim is crazy about turtles, among other animals, and I saw so many of them in photos taken there. I would hate for her to miss that.

I asked for a quick response back from them and will check my mail tonight after work. Cross your fingers![/size']

CROSSING MY FINGERS!!! Explain to them that they are nurse sharks. They will come back with all their extremities attached. :) (Although I had fun teasing the hubby about swimming with sharks, I finally had to give in and tell him they were only nurse sharks :p). The place they take you to (from what I understand) is kinda like we did in Grand Cayman with the stingrays...shallow water you can stand in. Tell them how much fun that was. :D Also, I'm sure if they didn't want to actually get "IN" the water, they wouldn't have to. I have seen others mention that people that were with them were afraid and the tour guide would just get one of the sharks and stingrays and bring them up to the boat for them to touch their skin.

I haven't really researched Caye Caulker yet...but need to. Turtles? :eek: Really? Sakari would love that. Are they in the water and you see them snorkeling at Caye Caulker, or a tank, or????? Details.

Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Understand. I found him through this board and emailed him. There were 5 of us, DH, my DD's who is autistic, my other DD who just graduated from college and a friend of hers who went with us and then me.

We lined up for tender tickets early and got on the first tender. Tender landed in Belize and we met Ivar right outside the entrance to Port 1, which is far right as you face the port. He had a sign for us.

We walked a couple of blocks to where he had the boat waiting. He explained they don't let him dock at port to pick up but we could to let off afterward. The boat was about a 25 ft, maybe a little longer. He introduced the captain and a young man who is training for his guides license. We headed out by boat a top speed. After about 45 min boat ride where he constantly told us all about Belize, etc. he stopped for a quick stop at Caye Caulker for bait. Then we headed over to Shark Ray Alley. We were the only boat there which he said was unusual. He got in the water with us and the stingray swarmed around us like cats, rubbing up against us. The water was not over our heads, we had our snorkel gear on. He talked to us about the stingrays etc and then we would pick out other fish he ided. We saw a barracuda and some sharks, but they did not come in close enough to touch. We did not need our fins on there, several conchs, sea grass and sandy. After we had been in the water a good while, we got back on the boat and moved over to the reef.

The water there was just a little rougher but it was gorgeous after we put our head under. He took us on about a 45 min or longer snorkel through the coral. We saw lots of fish and beautiful, healthy colorful coral. We were exhausted afterward and got back on board. He made us rum drinks and pulled out salsa and chips. He also had sodas and waters for us he had offered earlier.

During the time we were snacking the Carnival tour boat pulled up over at shark ray alley. He pointed out how crowded they were. They were in the water and had left while we were still snacking and enjoying everything. They did not go to the reef like us.

Then we headed over to Caye Caulker for one lunch. It was getting around 1pm by then. We had met him around 9am. We had a great lunch at the Rainbow rest. Great beer, burritos, and delicious rice and beans. After this we had a little time to walk around and do a little shopping. Then headed back to the boat for the ride back. Some took a nap on the bow of the boat. We got back to the port about 4:15, about an hour before the last tender.

It was a perfect day. I haven't uploaded any photos yet, haven't had time since I got back. He was great with my disabled Dd who was afraid of the sharks. I can highly recommend him. If any questions, ask away.

Because of him we want to do a land tour of Belize with a few days on land to go to ruins and then a few days on Caye Caulker snorkeling. We will use him again.

Honestly, that sounds like the perfect trip and just the way I would have to do it if I booked with someone outside. I really don't want the hassel of having to find my way over to Caye Caulker on my own to catch or meet up with a tour. It's just not appealing when it's a tender port. Meeting me at the port is the only way for us.

So now....I'll wait on the Ma'ams response....this sounds like a wonderful tour and it would just be us and we could have this customized tour. Point it out to the other Ma'ams that in this case, the nurse sharks didn't even come close (although I would be disappointed if that happened). :(

Honestly, that sounds like the perfect trip and just the way I would have to do it if I booked with someone outside. I really don't want the hassel of having to find my way over to Caye Caulker on my own to catch or meet up with a tour. It's just not appealing when it's a tender port. Meeting me at the port is the only way for us.

So now....I'll wait on the Ma'ams response....this sounds like a wonderful tour and it would just be us and we could have this customized tour. Point it out to the other Ma'ams that in this case, the nurse sharks didn't even come close (although I would be disappointed if that happened). :(

Ivar said that some companies dump a bucket of chum into the water to attract lots of sharks. I knew my DD would not like that so I had questioned him ahead of time about that. He does not bait the water. The only bait is a few squid/shrimp he uses to hand feed the stingray. Honestly the stingray were as friendly as at Stingray City at Grand Cayman. He is a naturalist and also is very knowledgeable about birds as well as sealife. Very entertaining and knowledgeable.

He also said you do see turtles sometimes and we were hoping for that. However, we missed out on seeing turtles at every placed we snorkeled this cruise.

OK, we are all in!!! We feel safe going with the ship excursion, time wise. What are your thoughts on that? Would you be willing to do it? I checked the age requirement and it is 5 years of age. It starts at 9:30 am and is 5.5 hours long. I looked at the satellite image of Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye and the reef looks large and wide at Caye Caulker. It is also closer than Ambergris Caye (thus quicker to arrive). We are in port until 5, so our last tender will probably be 4 pm.

I have to leave for work early today but will check in while at work. I should have time as I did most of my end of the month paperwork last night and will just be helping my LVNs where needed.

Edited by medicalma'am

OK' date=' we are all in!!! We feel safe going with the ship excursion, time wise. What are your thoughts on that? Would you be willing to do it? I checked the age requirement and it is 5 years of age. It starts at 9:30 am and is 5.5 hours long. I looked at the satellite image of Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye and the reef looks large and wide at Caye Caulker. It is also closer than Ambergris Caye (thus quicker to arrive). We are in port until 5, so our last tender will probably be 4 pm.

I have to leave for work early today but will check in while at work. I should have time as I did most of my end of the month paperwork last night and will just be helping my LVNs where needed. [/size']

Ok, if that's the way we have to do it, I'm in!!! :D I really wish there was someone that has done this trip with the cruiseline that would have posted a review on NCL's excursion page, but there aren't any. :(

• 2 weeks later...

So Mitsugirl you have decided to go with the NCL cruise excursion? I am going this Aug with RCL and I am wrestling with the exact same as you started with. Except RCL doesn't have any ship excursion going to Shark Ray Alley.

Anyone else have any input?

Mitsugirl thank you for all your reviews. I really appreciate the detail that you put in each of them.

So Mitsugirl you have decided to go with the NCL cruise excursion? I am going this Aug with RCL and I am wrestling with the exact same as you started with. Except RCL doesn't have any ship excursion going to Shark Ray Alley.

Anyone else have any input?

Mitsugirl thank you for all your reviews. I really appreciate the detail that you put in each of them.

Yes, we are going to go with the ship excursion. We are cruising with some friends from another cruise and they do not feel comfortable doing the private tours and the only way they will go is by ship excursion. So, that's what we have decided to do. I'm sure it won't be the same experience, but it's still going to be great. :)

Thanks for the comments on my reviews. I try really hard to help others out in any way I can. :)

Yes, we are going to go with the ship excursion. We are cruising with some friends from another cruise and they do not feel comfortable doing the private tours and the only way they will go is by ship excursion. So, that's what we have decided to do. I'm sure it won't be the same experience, but it's still going to be great. :)

Thanks for the comments on my reviews. I try really hard to help others out in any way I can. :)

You will love Belize and shark/ray alley. One thing though, I don't know about NCL but Carnivals excursion just went out to shark/ray area, stayed a few minutes and then went to an island. They didn't do any snorkeling in the reef there. Try to find an excursion where you at least get to snorkel the reef. The reef is superb!!!

You will love Belize and shark/ray alley. One thing though, I don't know about NCL but Carnivals excursion just went out to shark/ray area, stayed a few minutes and then went to an island. They didn't do any snorkeling in the reef there. Try to find an excursion where you at least get to snorkel the reef. The reef is superb!!!

I just looked it up and you are right. The excursion with the ship just states that they go to the shallow area where the sharks are and then on to Barefoot Caribe Dock and Las Olas Restaurant to explore Caye Caulker. :( There's no mention of the reef. Sigh.

I just looked it up and you are right. The excursion with the ship just states that they go to the shallow area where the sharks are and then on to Barefoot Caribe Dock and Las Olas Restaurant to explore Caye Caulker. :( There's no mention of the reef. Sigh.

That's too bad. But on the good side, we loved Caye Caulker when we went there for a late lunch. It's a very laid back little island. We want to go back for several days for a vacation.

We did the NCL excursion in March and had a great time. It was a nice boat ride to Caye Caulker. We were able to go into the restaurant and use the restroom while they were picking up more guides. You can see the boats at Shark Ray Alley from there. On the short ride there they divided us up into smaller groups and were given a guide to stay with. There were a few people that stayed on the boat. Sadly, we only saw one shark, but there were a lot of stingrays and one barracuda. We did go over to a small part of the reef and that was pretty neat. We were given goggles, but no snorkels or flippers. Unlike Stingray City, they recommend you wear shoes. If you don't have any, they will rent them for $2. We spent a lot of time out there. Most people were ready to go before time was up. We got back into the boat and went to eat lunch at the restaurant then had a little time to walk around before heading back. We did make a stop to feed some tarpon which the kids really liked.

We did the NCL excursion in March and had a great time. It was a nice boat ride to Caye Caulker. We were able to go into the restaurant and use the restroom while they were picking up more guides. You can see the boats at Shark Ray Alley from there. On the short ride there they divided us up into smaller groups and were given a guide to stay with. There were a few people that stayed on the boat. Sadly, we only saw one shark, but there were a lot of stingrays and one barracuda. We did go over to a small part of the reef and that was pretty neat. We were given goggles, but no snorkels or flippers. Unlike Stingray City, they recommend you wear shoes. If you don't have any, they will rent them for $2. We spent a lot of time out there. Most people were ready to go before time was up. We got back into the boat and went to eat lunch at the restaurant then had a little time to walk around before heading back. We did make a stop to feed some tarpon which the kids really liked.

This is absolutely awesome to hear (a review from someone that has actually done the NCL excursion and enjoyed it). I had thought about posting it on the NCL board just to see if I could find anyone that had done the tour specifically with NCL and what their thoughts were. (I still may).

Since you said you were only able to see 1 shark, did they feed them to get them to come over? I have read (just like at stingray city) that guides feed the sharks to get them to come over (while others don't and you don't see many). I have seen a lot of pictures of the people getting to pet them while the guide holds them as well.

How many people did you have in your group once divided up? How many would you say was actually on the tour together?

So glad you mentioned that you did get to go over toward the reef. That's awesome. I wonder if they always do that.

How much time did you have at Caulker to have a look around before heading back?

Stopping to feed the tarpon sounds amazing as well. I have seen pictures of that and I know our little one would love that. Is that from the boat? Or on Caulker that you do it? I don't know why, but I got the impression it was from "land" that you did it. :confused:

Thanks so much for your input. I REALLY appreciate it and it makes me feel a lot better about booking with the ship.

We used Coral Breeze several years ago, before the negative reviews stated when they parted ways with Hammerhead. We haven't done a cruise excursion to Shark Ray Alley but HAVE used the water taxi to Caye Caulker on a subsequent visit. So the only thing I can add is that, depending on your port times, taking an excursion from a Caye Caulker guide can be a bit of headache from a timing perspective.

We found our earliest water taxi times, and started looking for tours from Caye Caulker. Nothing lined up, time wise. Tours either left before we could get there, or got back after our absolute last water taxi time. The closest we came was Rasta Tours, but it was too close for my comfort level. We resolved to just chillax on Caye Caulker for the day and am I glad we did. Water was rough and tendering started almost an hour late. Plus they could only use one tender location on the day we were there.

I'm usually all for going it on my own, but I think that taking a ship isn't a bad investment in Belize. Then you can come back to port without the restriction of the water taxi schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We used Coral Breeze several years ago, before the negative reviews stated when they parted ways with Hammerhead. We haven't done a cruise excursion to Shark Ray Alley but HAVE used the water taxi to Caye Caulker on a subsequent visit. So the only thing I can add is that, depending on your port times, taking an excursion from a Caye Caulker guide can be a bit of headache from a timing perspective.

We found our earliest water taxi times, and started looking for tours from Caye Caulker. Nothing lined up, time wise. Tours either left before we could get there, or got back after our absolute last water taxi time. The closest we came was Rasta Tours, but it was too close for my comfort level. We resolved to just chillax on Caye Caulker for the day and am I glad we did. Water was rough and tendering started almost an hour late. Plus they could only use one tender location on the day we were there.

I'm usually all for going it on my own, but I think that taking a ship isn't a bad investment in Belize. Then you can come back to port without the restriction of the water taxi schedule.

The Coral Breeze guides chummed the water, and there were tons of Sharks and Rays. Hubby loves his underwater pic of a shark, ray AND a barracuda.

I completely agree. I was trying to research the times of the taxi's, the tour, the times we would make it to each and it just wasn't working. It was just too "iffy" for me. The only other way I would be willing to do it was if a guide picked us up directly at the port and went along with us. They know the place better than us. So, the ship excursion it will be for us. :)

This is absolutely awesome to hear (a review from someone that has actually done the NCL excursion and enjoyed it). I had thought about posting it on the NCL board just to see if I could find anyone that had done the tour specifically with NCL and what their thoughts were. (I still may).

Since you said you were only able to see 1 shark, did they feed them to get them to come over? I have read (just like at stingray city) that guides feed the sharks to get them to come over (while others don't and you don't see many). I have seen a lot of pictures of the people getting to pet them while the guide holds them as well.

How many people did you have in your group once divided up? How many would you say was actually on the tour together?

So glad you mentioned that you did get to go over toward the reef. That's awesome. I wonder if they always do that.

How much time did you have at Caulker to have a look around before heading back?

Stopping to feed the tarpon sounds amazing as well. I have seen pictures of that and I know our little one would love that. Is that from the boat? Or on Caulker that you do it? I don't know why, but I got the impression it was from "land" that you did it. :confused:

Thanks so much for your input. I REALLY appreciate it and it makes me feel a lot better about booking with the ship.

The shark did not come too close, so I don't think they fed them. I believe the guides did have a little to feed the stingrays, but we didn't get to feed them. We got to at Stingray City so I was a little disappointed. We did get to hold them (with the guides help), so that was fun.

I think we had 6-8 people in our group. My husband and I were trying to remember if another couple was with us and a family of 4. I would say there was 25-30 of us total.

I'm not sure if anyone else went over to the reef. I really didn't pay attention. It may just depend on the guide.

As far as how much time is spent at Caye Caulker, it depends on lunch. You order on the way over and they turn it in to the restaurant when you stop for a potty break. We were the last ones to get our food and almost the last to finish so we had less time than others. I would say 45 minutes to an hour.

We fed the tarpon from the boat. I think it was 10-15 minutes from Caulker, but don't exactly remember.

Just a little background for you. I know by reading most of your reviews that you usually book on your own instead of with the ship. We've been on 5 cruises and have always booked ship excursions. You've heard of Murphy's law? Well, Murphy has been a family friend for years, so I'd rather not chance it. Lol! Maybe one of these days I'll be brave and do one on my own, but maybe not. We have not had a bad excursion yet. I know that the ship excursions cost more and can be more crowded, but we've never had a problem.