Bringing Alcohol into Canada

putty27

We are going to be on a land and sea Alaska/Yukon tour. (Y3C) I have a lot of OBC credit. The cruise portion is first. Can I buy liquor with my OBC and bring it into Canada? How much is duty if I have to pay it on the excess I'm allowed? Thanks for the help

We are going to be on a land and sea Alaska/Yukon tour. (Y3C) I have a lot of OBC credit. The cruise portion is first. Can I buy liquor with my OBC and bring it into Canada? How much is duty if I have to pay it on the excess I'm allowed? Thanks for the help

If the consumption is when you are visiting it is a bit more generous than when we are bringing it back into the country (as Canadians). After the limit you should have to pay hst and duty. Here's what I found for you:

If you are visiting and going to consume it in Canada you can bring :

You may bring in one of

•1.5 litres (50.7 US ounces) of wine, including wine coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol, or

•1.14 litres (38.5 US ounces) of liquor, or

•a total of 1.14 litres (38.5 US ounces) of wine and liquor, or

•24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer or ale, including beer coolers over 0.5 percent alcohol (a maximum of 8.5 litres or 287.4 US ounces).

hope this helps and it might be worth double checking the rules closer to your sailing.

The limit Kazu mentions is available to any adult of legal drinking age, 19 in the Yukon. So everyone in your party of legal drinking age could bring in their free allowance.

You need to call or email the Liquor control board in the Yukon directly to see what duties and taxes you would be charged on any excess since each province and territory has some different limits. Just as an example, in the North West Territories and Nunavut, you cannot bring more than the free allowance mentioned.

Not sure of your itinerary but here's what happened to me once several years ago:

We were travelling from US western states to visit family in US eastern states and crossed into Canada along the way, touring. I brought a case of our local wines with us to give as gifts to family in the US east. At the Canadian border crossing we were allowed to have them store our case of wine at no charge, but of course we had to pick it up at the same border crossing which changed our itinerary a little but not a lot (we were touring in the very beautiful Nova Scotia area.) Enjoy your Alaska/Yukon tour!

m--