Reluctant cruiser

So, I am being strong-armed into going on the Gem in July to Nassau. I have never been on a cruise and generally do not like being on boats. I tend to get some form of seasickness if I am below deck, so I am not thrilled. I have done plenty of research and this still does not seem like something that is up my alley at all. I have had an open mind to this whole scenario, but here are my concerns and any input or feedback would be appreciated.

1-FOOD: It seems to me that most of the food is reminiscent of a Golden Corral buffet or a Quaker Steak and Lube. I don't eat out often but when I do I prefer restaurants that have favorable ratings from sites such as NY Times, Time Out NY or Zagat. I feel like, in general, that I will not be thrilled with the dining. I do love dessert and everything that I have read indicates that is the strong point of the NCL's food offerings. Do you think I'm being realistic or am I maybe setting the expectations too low?

2-ALCOHOL: I have become a total beer snob and cannot physically drink crap beers like Bud or Lite anymore. My body rejects them. It appears that the beer menus are completely dreadful with Sam Adams being the only drinkable beer on it. Does anyone know if the Gem still currently serve Sam Adams? Also, bottom shelf liquor doesn't agree with me. Does anybody know how much drink prices increase by if you go from a house liquor to a call or premium brand? For instance, I see that a Cuba Libre is $5.75 (I assume it's made with house liquor..Castillo rum?). Any idea on the bump if I wanted Appleton instead?

3-CROWDS: Everything I have read about the Gem indicates that it is very crowded. I would really like to just find a relatively quiet, cool and shady place to sit and read books on my Kindle. Does an area like this exist on the Gem? If I am being forced to be on a 'vacation' I would like to avoid the noise and crowds since they drive me nuts here in NY.

4-CULTURE: When I go on a trip I like to go to places that have museums, architecture, local restaurants and bars, along with other places to experience local culture. I guess Cocoa Beach will involve some local seafood joint for lunch and Great Stirrup Cay seems to be a pointless destination based on my interests. Any food and drink recommendations for Cocoa Beach? Nassau appears to have very few sights and museums. Is there enough in Nassau to occupy somebody for a good eight hours? Also, does anybody know of any local restaurants and bars in Nassau that would not be tourist joints while also being safe to visit? I am open to trying any of the local cuisine and want to give some Switcha a try.

5-ENTERTAINMENT: So, I pretty much loathe shows and plays. I'm not interested in magicians or dancers prancing around. This pretty much leaves The Second City and World Beat. Would I need reservations for either one of these before the vacation starts or can it be a spur of the moment decision? Does anybody have any info on who the actual entertainers will be on the 7/12 trip?

6-SEASICK: Do any of you have a preference for avoiding seasickness...bracelet vs. meds? Can you take the meds and have a bunch of drinks or does it make you drowsy?

Well, I guess this post has gotten a bit long, so that's all for now. I appreciate any feedback and help with this whole thing. Thanks in advance for your help everybody!

Thanks,

KoL

So, I am being strong-armed into going on the Gem in July to Nassau. I have never been on a cruise and generally do not like being on boats. I tend to get some form of seasickness if I am below deck, so I am not thrilled. I have done plenty of research and this still does not seem like something that is up my alley at all. I have had an open mind to this whole scenario, but here are my concerns and any input or feedback would be appreciated.

1-FOOD: It seems to me that most of the food is reminiscent of a Golden Corral buffet or a Quaker Steak and Lube. I don't eat out often but when I do I prefer restaurants that have favorable ratings from sites such as NY Times, Time Out NY or Zagat. I feel like, in general, that I will not be thrilled with the dining. I do love dessert and everything that I have read indicates that is the strong point of the NCL's food offerings. Do you think I'm being realistic or am I maybe setting the expectations too low?

2-ALCOHOL: I have become a total beer snob and cannot physically drink crap beers like Bud or Lite anymore. My body rejects them. It appears that the beer menus are completely dreadful with Sam Adams being the only drinkable beer on it. Does anyone know if the Gem still currently serve Sam Adams? Also, bottom shelf liquor doesn't agree with me. Does anybody know how much drink prices increase by if you go from a house liquor to a call or premium brand? For instance, I see that a Cuba Libre is $5.75 (I assume it's made with house liquor..Castillo rum?). Any idea on the bump if I wanted Appleton instead?

3-CROWDS: Everything I have read about the Gem indicates that it is very crowded. I would really like to just find a relatively quiet, cool and shady place to sit and read books on my Kindle. Does an area like this exist on the Gem? If I am being forced to be on a 'vacation' I would like to avoid the noise and crowds since they drive me nuts here in NY.

4-CULTURE: When I go on a trip I like to go to places that have museums, architecture, local restaurants and bars, along with other places to experience local culture. I guess Cocoa Beach will involve some local seafood joint for lunch and Great Stirrup Cay seems to be a pointless destination based on my interests. Any food and drink recommendations for Cocoa Beach? Nassau appears to have very few sights and museums. Is there enough in Nassau to occupy somebody for a good eight hours? Also, does anybody know of any local restaurants and bars in Nassau that would not be tourist joints while also being safe to visit? I am open to trying any of the local cuisine and want to give some Switcha a try.

5-ENTERTAINMENT: So, I pretty much loathe shows and plays. I'm not interested in magicians or dancers prancing around. This pretty much leaves The Second City and World Beat. Would I need reservations for either one of these before the vacation starts or can it be a spur of the moment decision? Does anybody have any info on who the actual entertainers will be on the 7/12 trip?

6-SEASICK: Do any of you have a preference for avoiding seasickness...bracelet vs. meds? Can you take the meds and have a bunch of drinks or does it make you drowsy?

Well, I guess this post has gotten a bit long, so that's all for now. I appreciate any feedback and help with this whole thing. Thanks in advance for your help everybody!

Thanks,

KoL

First of all I would love someone to insist that I go on a cruise vacation!! 1st world problems:-) LOL Also going in with a positive attitude helps.

Take all reviews with a grain of salt! Most people who write reviews love or hate something. Most of the people in the middle never write reviews.

Seasickness- it helps to have a mid ship stateroom on a lower deck. Lots of passengers wear the patch behind their ear which greatly helps.

Go to the dr and ask if it is right for you and if so get the rx.

I live in New York and enjoy good food. Overall the food is good on NCL. I prefer the MDR over most of the buffet food. You can also eat at a specialty restaurant.

You do not HAVE to go to any shows if that is not your speed.

There are many quiet areas on NCL if you want that.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation planning!

Edited by sugarnyc

Unfortunate that is your itinerary for your first cruise. In my opinion that is the least desirable of any NCL itinerary. Really not much to be excited with on those ports. Others will disagree with me though. ;)

Having said that though I think with the right attitude you will enjoy it. No way would I compare the food to the Golden Corral. If you are a food snob consider getting the UDP and eat in the specialty restaurants each night. Cost is reasonable and you have nice choices in cuisine.

First and foremost go in with an open mind.

Agreed this is not the most exciting itinerary but it is what it is....

Do some research on the ports of call board and trip advisor, you may find some interesting things to see /do in PC and Nassau.

Maybe Kennedy Space Center? Or rent a car and drive somewhere. I rented a car for $38 last time I was in PC.

Nassau has the area known as "fish fry" where you can get authentic food. Also there is a fort you can tour in Nassau.

Dining room food is not Golden Corral level but trying the specialty restaurants may be more to your liking.

Can't really help you with the beer. Premium rum/vodka basic drinks will run about $8ish

Bonine, Ginger and green apples will be your friend. My sister in law gets very very motion sick and had had success with the Seabands bracelets.

You can definitely find plenty of quiet places to read and relax. You could always get a spa pass if you really want serenity.

Do us all a favor and stay home so we do not have to here your review of how terrible the trip was OR go with an open mind and try to enjoy some thing different there realy is something for every one on board you will definitely find something you like

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, you can what? You can do whatever you want, that's the beauty of cruising and especially NCL's Freestyle cruising. My only advice to you is to use Cruise Critic, the NCL website, and any other resource available to discover what is available on the Gem. Then, once you are aboard, thoroughly review the Freestyle Daily so that you will know what's available that day. Then do whatever sounds like fun. If you know what's available and you're determined to have a good time, I think you are likely to enjoy your cruise.

Good luck!

We use the generic Bonine (highly recommended)--thats also what they give out at customer service on the ship. Doesn't make us tired, and we drink like fish..... Do not use the patch-- way too many side effects-and def tired

Also green apples and pretzels help alot. You can find both on the buffet. My husband loves the pretzel rolls and eats them all the time while on board... he thought it was a special cruise treat... on our last cruise we found out they are good for settling your stomach (they work real well), and that is why the cruise has them around.

Gem our favorite ship--not crowded at all. Many great places to sit and read...even ocean view window seats all around.

Go to great outdoors for breakfast, and anytime during the day. Great aft spot with views of the wake of the ship

No reservations needed for shows--totally freestyle

Food good--not gourmet but passable,plentiful, many options and tasty

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just look at it this way if you really do not like the ship you will at least enjoy coco beach and the private island and Bahamas as for sea sickness you said you get sick when you go below deck the ship is so big you will feel more like being in a hotel.

I love your post, by the way. I think it's awesome.

Regarding the food... Don't worry about it. Just eat because you need to eat when you are hungry. Don't over think it. As far as everything else, don't over think it. The ports will suck. Stay on the ship. Pretend it is a museum and explore and discover the little things that 99% of the people on the ship won't ever bother or think to notice. Also, getting seasick on a boat does not necessarily equate to getting sick on a ship. You will feel the water and movement much less than on a boat (sometimes not at all.) Regarding entertainment - often the best entertainment on a ship is people watching. You'll see all kinds. Try it just to say you did. If you hate it, then don't do it again. I love your post, and I hope you go because I want to hear all about it.

Thanks,

KoL

If in fact this is not a joke, go with an open mind.

The NCL Gem is a beautiful ship with many restaurants to choose from.

There are premium beer selections.

You can find historic sites in Nassau. Check it out.

http://www.10best.com/destinations/bahamas/nassau/attractions/additional-historic-sites/

I love your post, by the way. I think it's awesome.

Regarding the food... Don't worry about it. Just eat because you need to eat when you are hungry. Don't over think it. As far as everything else, don't over think it. The ports will suck. Stay on the ship. Pretend it is a museum and explore and discover the little things that 99% of the people on the ship won't ever bother or think to notice. Also, getting seasick on a boat does not necessarily equate to getting sick on a ship. You will feel the water and movement much less than on a boat (sometimes not at all.) Regarding entertainment - often the best entertainment on a ship is people watching. You'll see all kinds. Try it just to say you did. If you hate it, then don't do it again. I love your post, and I hope you go because I want to hear all about it.

Why will the ports suck do some research and try something different in the ports go to the bar at the coco beach pier or local liquor store and see what kind of local beers they have that you can not get on board use GSC as a day to un plug and recharge and while in Nassau go to the gray cliff for a good cigar and nice lunch the ports are what you make of them.

We stayed in Cocoa Beach for 5 nights this past January, road trip to the Keys and explored Kennedy Space Center and it's adjunct museums for 2 days.

Had great meals at Roberto's Havana Restaurant and some microbrews too at cocoa beach brewing company

We enjoyed Cocoa Beach very much and it's easy to get around.

Enjoy your cruise.. it will be a great experience!

Edited by ISLABONITA

Why will the ports suck do some research and try something different in the ports go to the bar at the coco beach pier or local liquor store and see what kind of local beers they have that you can not get on board use GSC as a day to un plug and recharge and while in Nassau go to the gray cliff for a good cigar and nice lunch the ports are what you make of them.

Yeah, I've spent time staying at Cocoa Beach. If you think the highlight is going to be finding a beer, then big whoop. The ports will likely suck for someone interested in the things he said he is interested in, but whatever. I made an alternative suggestion, just like you did, because like you said, it's what you make of it. :)

I can understand your trepidation here. Some points:

• A cruise ship is very different from any boat you have been on. It's the size of a large building lying on its side. While there will be motion, it's not like anything you get on anything you can call a "boat".
  • If your research has involved reading cruise reviews on the internet, well, that's enough to induce seasickness in and of itself! Remember that most people who post reviews either post when it was a very bad or a very good experience. Like most of life, reality is somewhere in the middle.

While I would encourage you to set your expectations below Zagat-rated land-based restaurants, you should expect better than Golden Corral. If you choose to eat at the buffet, the food is of the type that can survive that sort of environment well. Even the buffet has made-to-order stations during active mealtimes, and is a good place for a snack of the fruit-and-cheese variety at any time. I think the MDRs range from good to great (on the whole) and with a level of care in presentation that you may find familiar.

I do warn you... if you are on the cruise with a "I hate this and I don't want to be here" attitude, it will make it hard for you to find things you like. The Gem is a great ship with an enthusiastic crew, and they will try hard to please you if you allow yourself to be pleased. Imagine that you decided that a New York Times review of a place was total bull*** and went to the place expecting a bad experience. Would you be likely to have a good experience?

2-ALCOHOL:

Sorry, I'm not a drinker and can't help you. People have described the drink prices as comparable to land-based prices.

Absolutely, you can find quiet and shady places. Try the deck above the pools, or deck (I think) 7 where you can step outside and walk around the ship. We're also a fan of the Spinnaker lounge (which is deck 13 forward) that has interesting furniture and forward-facing windows.

4-CULTURE:

I think Celebrity does a much better job in this area than NCL -- but you're asking about stuff at the destinations. I typically don't venture far from the ship but can't help you.

I would recommend you take another look at Great Stirrup Cay. It is indeed NOT a cultural destination... but it's a GREAT place for a day at the beach. If you prepare yourself for sunshine & sea breezes, it's a different but equally rewarding experience. If you have the money, you could consider renting a cabana and therefore have a little "home" of your own for the day.

Spur of the moment is fine for all of those venues. Don't overlook the music in the bars, though. There are many fine jazz, blues, and other acts that aren't in "theaters" but may be just the thing for you... and in a venue where you could drink the kinds of drinks you enjoy.

My friend suffers from seasickness, but that has not stopped her from cruising on the Gem -- which is her favorite ship. Generic Bonine is a good choice, and you might want to start taking it the night before your cruise. You can get some for free at Guest Services while on board.

Some of the restaurants on the Gem will hand out ginger chews after dinner, and that can help when the seas are bumpy. You can also grab candied ginger at Trader Joe's if you want a reliable supply.

If you book your cabin on a lower deck and midship, you'll get a smoother ride. If you are feeling queasy, sometimes just rotating your body 90 degrees can help. Avoid the front and back of the ships at times when there is a lot of movement.

You are really going to enjoy the Gem in July! The crowds will be so thin, no kids around. :p

In all honesty, you, sir, should really stay home. With the things you like/ dislike and your concerns, you are going to hate being on the Gem. Good luck!

Yeah, I've spent time staying at Cocoa Beach. If you think the highlight is going to be finding a beer, then big whoop. The ports will likely suck for someone interested in the things he said he is interested in, but whatever. I made an alternative suggestion, just like you did, because like you said, it's what you make of it. :)[/QUO If some one doesn't agree with you then they are wrong it must be terrible going threw life always having to be correct

If you are looking for a more upscale experience, try a suite. You may at the very least want to book a balcony so you will always have a quiet place to sit and enjoy the ocean.

Your cruise may surprise you. Best of luck!:)

First, you aren't going on a boat. You are going on a ship.

Motion sickness really won't be an issue unless you hit some rough seas.

The food will be fine. Needing a NY Times thumbs up is hardly a be-all.

They will have Sam Adams. They WON'T have any Samuel L. Jackson beer.

There is a possibility that might have something else that is drinkable but mostly they will have swill. Lots and lots of swill. A beer geek on a ship is doomed to mediocrity when it's time for a beer. Which is.....anytime.

There are places to avoid crowds. The pool kinda isn't one of them.

research on CC can find some places in the ports.

Go to the lighthouse on GSC.

I'd rather see a bad magician than Second City's tripe. Broadway musicals are just below having my hemorrhoids sandblasted on a list of fun things so I do feel your pain there.

A cruise is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I've had both. I know what I'm talking about.

Food-I'm from NY and think I have relatively high standards when it comes to food. I can't say that I have ever been on a cruise ship and left thinking the cuisine was amazing. But I can say my husband and I honeymooned in Maui two years ago and ate at all of the top rated restaurants and thought some of them were overrated, so maybe I'm just picky :) while it may be annoying to pay for restaurants when you can eat for free, you may want to consider going to a few specialty restaurants or getting the Ultimate Dining Package if available on the Gem. It is about $120 and you can eat every night in a specialty restaurant. You may find the food better in those locations, although I heard some are better than others (Cagneys steak & Le Bistro French are supposed to be great, the Italian has received mixed reviews). I myself haven't tried them, but actually signed up for UDP for an upcoming cruise (long story why) so will be trying me for the first time. You can't go to the buffet expecting great food, but what buffet has great food? The main dining room is a step up, but how good can the food be when the kitchen is preparing meals for thousands of people? The good thing about the dining room is that you can order as much as you want off of the menu. If you aren't sure you will like something, order another option as a backup. The servers are very accommodating. Here is a link to a blog with menus from a different NCL ship. I am sure the Gem will be different, but it will give you a good idea, especially for specialty restaurants:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-menu/

Alcohol-I don't know if this is applicable to the gem and it doesn't have prices, but here is a beverage list that shows many beer options:

http://www.pdf.ncl.eu/already_booked/gift_packages/gift_packages/BeverageBrandsList2013.pdf

In my opinion there are a few good options on the list. Also, here is a link to a log with drink menus including prices from a different NCL ship. I am sure the Gem will be different, but it will give you a good idea:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

Crowds-haven't sailed on the Gem so can't help you much, but I think you can always find areas that are less crowded than others. Most ships have a beautiful, quiet, empty library.

Culture-I unfortunately don't know much about these ports. I rely on tripadvisor when going somewhere new. For example, here is the attractions list for Nassau. You can narrow using buttons at the top for cultural, museums, or landmarks:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147416-Activities-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

It seems there are some forts that are worth checking out and the Cloisters look peaceful.

Entertainment-from what I have read, making reservations in advance for comedy shows is advisable. For the ships I have sailed, there is no penalty if you don't show up to your reservation, so there is no downside. Perhaps you can sign up for a few and make what you can. Mi found the jazz entertainers on other ships very talented.

Seasick-I use Bonine (either brand or generic) daily. It doesn't get me drowsy. I also get sugared ginger from Trader Joes (you have in NY) as the other poster suggested, but luckily haven't had to use it much. My husband used the bracelet once but found it very uncomfortable. I get VERY sick on roller coasters and airplanes, and have had few issues on large ships (but have always been taking the pills, so don't know if it is the size of the ship or the medication).

Overall-my husband and mom love cruising. I would rather go somewhere and explore a region for a few days, but I have been lucky enough to do a lot of traveling, and frankly I can't complain about a week of relaxation, reading, and unwinding surrounded by the ocean. You will be able to find the hidden, quiet spots on the ship (especially if you get a balcony cabin-you just have to open a door!) and hopefully you will enjoy the experience. Best of luck and I am sure we are happy to help if you have any more questions!

So, my research and planning continues! I almost always read online reviews with some trepidation, so asking these specific questions and posting these specific concerns has gotten me some great feedback. I definitely appreciate all of the quick responses. I totally have an open mind toward going on this trip; I just like to be prepared when going away and try to avoid any surprises. So, again, thanks for all of your help...I look forward to putting a lot of this advice into motion!!

So, I am being strong-armed into going on the Gem in July to Nassau.

Strongly recommend you deal with this issue. You are setting yourself up to have a bad time. Life is too short to allow others to push you around.

Strongly recommend you deal with this issue. You are setting yourself up to have a bad time. Life is too short to allow others to push you around.

I agree with this comment.

Also I wonder if you are also going to be strong-armed into doing things during the cruise that you don't want to do. All the good advice you are getting might go to waste ! :confused: