Slamming Balcony doors!

LTS1960

We are going on the Glory in 5 weeks and the one of the things that drives me nuts are the people in the cabins around us that constantly slam the balcony doors. Why is is so hard to hold the door and close it? I'm the type of person who is always aware of how my actions can annoy people so I train my kids to be quiet and not slam doors. Two cruises ago we had a couple in the cabin next to us that smoked constantly, had that smokers hack and they slammed the door repeatedly. I tried giving them subtle hints like when I was on the balcony I said to my daughter in a louder than normal voice " don't let the door slam because it will bother other people" they didn't get the hint! I finally had enough and while out on the balcony again I yelled" I am tired of all the door slamming going on around me" hmm that didn't work either so I gave up. I'm hoping that this time we have courteous neighbors. We are in a suite so maybe the extra width of the cabin will make the door slamming less jarring. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure this is VERY annoying, but honestly, if I heard you, I'd probably start slamming them on purpose just to annoy you. Because what you said was passive / agressive and just as annoying as the door slamming. If I didn't realize I was doing it and that it was annoying, and someone said something to me nicely, I'd fix the problem.

All that said, some people don't care, even if you come about it nicely, and you just can't control those people... But you might at least try it nicely the first time around next time.... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

The smoking bothers me more than the door slamming. You can get even with those slamming doors by getting up at 3:00 am and slam the door a few times waking up the snoozer losers. Carnival allows smoking on balconies and until they change their smoking policy, I won't be cruising with them. Princess doesn't allow it on their cruise ships and the last 2 cruises we've been on on Princess, we haven't heard any doors slam.

Princess has sliders. The 'whoosh, bump, click ' is as annoying as the slam.

Edited by SadieN
  • Like 1

We are going on the Glory in 5 weeks and the one of the things that drives me nuts are the people in the cabins around us that constantly slam the balcony doors. Why is is so hard to hold the door and close it? I'm the type of person who is always aware of how my actions can annoy people so I train my kids to be quiet and not slam doors. Two cruises ago we had a couple in the cabin next to us that smoked constantly, had that smokers hack and they slammed the door repeatedly. I tried giving them subtle hints like when I was on the balcony I said to my daughter in a louder than normal voice " don't let the door slam because it will bother other people" they didn't get the hint! I finally had enough and while out on the balcony again I yelled" I am tired of all the door slamming going on around me" hmm that didn't work either so I gave up. I'm hoping that this time we have courteous neighbors. We are in a suite so maybe the extra width of the cabin will make the door slamming less jarring. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My recommendation to those worried about the sounds Of their neighbors is to choose a vacation somewhere where you are not sharing small accommodations. You cannot control this, so if it's going to "drive you nuts", go elsewhere. Even the best intended slams a door once in a while.

Or get an side room.

• Like 1

SO are you saying that only smokers slam doors? :p Or is it that irresistable need to inform the board once again that you don't like smoking on balconies and won't be cruising with Carnival again until they stop it?:rolleyes:

No not at all. You can do something about the slamming doors, but you can't do anything about smoke coming into your cabin.

I like the one response about calling the perps from a public phone early in the morning. That would work for me as I am an early riser.:p

Slamming of doors is a huge pet peeve of mine. It seems that the people that allow doors to slam are also the people that constantly go in and out of their balcony.

How dare they go in and out of their balcony they paid a ton of money for .....

:confused:

• Thanks 1

I must say that I am now worried that I might have been a slammer on my previous cruises. I don't think I was but I honestly cannot swear to it because I wasn't aware this was a "thing". I definitely will be aware in the future. However, I do have an idea for someone who might not be comfortable writing a note or speaking to the offenders in person. Download a white noise app for your smart phone and have white noise playing beside your head all night (I have done this in hotel rooms where I had loud neighbors and it works great for me to drown out annoying sounds).

• Like 1

No not at all. You can do something about the slamming doors, but you can't do anything about smoke coming into your cabin.

I like the one response about calling the perps from a public phone early in the morning. That would work for me as I am an early riser.:p

So, you are admitting to being a door slammer?:D

• Haha 1

I agree with you on the slamming balcony (and stateroom) doors. It also disturbs me when people leave their balcony light on all night long, like we are in some redneck floating trailer park.

Boy, i think some people forget they are on a vacation with thousands of people on a floating vessel. You are not camping in a remote campsite by yourself in the middle of nowhere. I have always had a balcony. I dont recall being bothered even one time by a neighbors door or light.

Those balcony lights are not spotlights. They are pretty dim, and you do have curtains in your room, and a divider between balconies. How could someone elses balcony light keep you up? I prop my door open at night to hear the ocean and leave my curtains open. I have never noticed anything. If a door slams, oh well, I guess I dont even notice. There are people in the hall running, talking laughing, there are activities all over the place making noise.

I am glad I dont have these issues. I just love vacationing with life around me--If i wanted silence, I would vacation at a spa or camp in the woods behind my house :):)

AND I am not, nor ever have been a smoker, but you know smoking is allowed on balconies, so why complain if your neighbor smokes? I dont like the smell of smoke either, but I also dont like country music--Id rather smell smoke than hear them play country music :):)

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 1

My recommendation to those worried about the sounds Of their neighbors is to choose a vacation somewhere where you are not sharing small accommodations.

This might work for those bothered by noisy neighbors:

8760b502fe5aeb7b1e2ca80ed96123bc.jpg

• Haha 1

Are you serious? We booked a balcony. Does smoke come into your cabin even with the door closed? I hope not because that will totally ruin my cruise. At the very least, they should do what they do at the lido deck. Put smokers on one side of the ship and non smokers on the other.

• Haha 1

Are you serious? We booked a balcony. Does smoke come into your cabin even with the door closed? I hope not because that will totally ruin my cruise. At the very least, they should do what they do at the lido deck. Put smokers on one side of the ship and non smokers on the other.

Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me. We never had that issue, even with the people in the very next cabin smoking on their balcony. Some people are just looking for something to complain about.

• Thanks 1

Are you serious? We booked a balcony. Does smoke come into your cabin even with the door closed? I hope not because that will totally ruin my cruise.

My experience with smokers in the balcony is that you'll get a whiff of cigarette smoke every time they puff, but it dissipates within seconds.

The only time when I've smelled cigarettes inside my stateroom was when smoking was allowed inside the staterooms. The smell would permeate through the vent system and under connecting doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Ryansmith and tappi. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I am a former smoker, but stopped over 20 ears ago. I must say that I am very sensitive to the smell of smoke, and can smell it a long ways off. I was hoping that we could enjoy our balcony. We have always cruised on an ocean view, and this will be the first time on a balcony. Thanks again for your responses.

• Like 1

Thanks Ryansmith and tappi. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I am a former smoker, but stopped over 20 ears ago. I must say that I am very sensitive to the smell of smoke, and can smell it a long ways off. I was hoping that we could enjoy our balcony. We have always cruised on an ocean view, and this will be the first time on a balcony. Thanks again for your responses.

Ah, well you may pick up on the scent a bit easier than most in that case, but my experience is exactly what Tapi described. A quick whiff here and there on the balcony and then it's gone...you know... because you're in the middle of the ocean. :p I never noticed it inside my stateroom. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

:( <---- Be grateful you don't live in an apartment where you neighbors slam doors constantly.

I lived with common walls apartment to condo for 26 years..I so agree..there are always noise issues and in the city even more...I don't like being as remote small town as I am now but always takes me time to adjust to hotels, and staterooms, and more noise...Love the relative quiet.

Usually people are polite and the more the close living..the more the adjusting and communicating if possible...I really feel for the hard situations that go on forever and have had many.

Soft TV and music and earplugs..I like silicone molded over the ear opening...are the best one can do...in these situations and am speaking for groups who have learning needed for options..not you..sure i am preaching to the choir.

You have my empathy going through a hard phase with this...truly...

I live rather close to a train that goes through a town center I am close to, have a house with very close houses next door so not completely immune from neighbor stuff, but it is a huge step quieter than common wall..still issues especially trying to enjoy porch or patio... but it is pleasant country like area..w/ train you feel it, hear it..but it is enough away it is either pleasant or sleep through it now...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Or picky non smokers on another cruise line:D

• Haha 1

It's not just balcony doors either. Entrance doors get slammed more often. Slamming doors, drunks talking loud at 2AM in the hall, kids riding the elevators and pushing every floor, chair hogs. The complain list goes on. It's called life. Probably all of us frequent cruisers have slammed doors unintentionally or id something else to offend someone, it happens.

• Thanks 1