a day at a local hotel on POA in Kauai

Mard940

My wife informed me, two weeks before we leave, that we have tooo much planned and just wants to chill out while we are in Kauai. One idea we came up with is to see if we can go to a hotel around Lihue and use their facilitities on a day pass. Is this idea too unusual or has anyone tried this before . Of course please provide any recommendations

TIA

My wife informed me, two weeks before we leave, that we have tooo much planned and just wants to chill out while we are in Kauai. One idea we came up with is to see if we can go to a hotel around Lihue and use their facilitities on a day pass. Is this idea too unusual or has anyone tried this before . Of course please provide any recommendations

TIA

You may also want to post this on the HAWAII boards ...

TIA

Unless you have been to Kauai before u r missing one of the two best islands for sightseeing. I suggest u splurge and do a heli ride or take a tour to Hanalei Bay or rent a car and go to Hanalei Bay. JMO

TIA

There is a Marriott within sight of where the ship docks in Kauai. I walked over and used beach area after our excursions. There are many beautiful sights to see in Kauai. One of our favorites was a river kayaking and hike.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree with ILoveSailing. If you've never been to Kauai you will be missing out on seeing an incredible place. You don't have to plan a thing. Just rent a car, grab a map and drive!:)

For most people a trip to Hawaii is very expensive and probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for most.

We have done this cruise 3 times all b2b and still haven't seen everything and that's without taking any beach day's

There is a Marriott within sight of where the ship docks in Kauai. I walked over and used beach area after our excursions. There are many beautiful sights to see in Kauai. One of our favorites was a river kayaking and hike.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

cardes, can you tell me which kayak/hike you did? Thinking of trying it and would love your input on what you did. Thanks!

Mard940, I'm with your wife: on the July 2013 sailing of the POA, I did exactly what she wants to do, and rested. For me, driving all over each Hawaiian island is not a vacation, it is driving all over an island. YMMV.

Kalapaki Beach is a five minute walk from the pier. You can rent chairs and umbrellas from the Marriott directly on the beach. We called the Marriott before the cruise about day rooms, and were told that we would need to wait until the day of the cruise, but really, you don't need a day room.

Duke's Marriott is right on the beach, where we enjoyed a leisurely lunch and a hula pie. We also took paddleboard lessons from the Beach Boys Kauai, at which I was a resounding failure, but nevertheless was a hoot.

Also, with all the touring and snorkeling I did earlier in the cruise, only at Kalapaki did a sea turtle swim within five feet of me, which I would not have missed for all the hiking and helicopters in Kauai. Of course, there is no way to arrange for that!

happy cruising,

el henry

The POA "is" your Day Room at all the islands/ports of call for 7 days. We loved Kauai - the Marriott is, pass the mini-mall away from the pier - about 15 minutes leisurely walk uphill & is really nice.

It's surprisingly relaxing & quiet when majority of the POA guests are out and you can come & go all day (and night) long - and as I recall, the malls have free shopper's shuttle that you can take advantage of.

Mahalo ;)

Edited by mking8288

cardes, can you tell me which kayak/hike you did? Thinking of trying it and would love your input on what you did. Thanks!

Sorry delay in responding. I don't recall the exact name of our excursion but it was through the ship and we travelled a short distance by vans to get our kayaks. Where we entered the river was quite a large area We kayaked for several hours then hiked to a waterfall where you could swim. After that they had a box lunch for you and we hiked back to our vans for return to ship. The scenery was spectacular and the tour operators very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry delay in responding. I don't recall the exact name of our excursion but it was through the ship and we travelled a short distance by vans to get our kayaks. Where we entered the river was quite a large area We kayaked for several hours then hiked to a waterfall where you could swim. After that they had a box lunch for you and we hiked back to our vans for return to ship. The scenery was spectacular and the tour operators very good.

No problem. :) Sounds like the discover jungle falls tour, that's the one we were thinking of. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

No problem. :) Sounds like the discover jungle falls tour, that's the one we were thinking of. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

You are welcome. We enjoyed this cruise very much and would even do it again down the road. We stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu before the cruise. We hiked to top of Diamond Head the morning before we sailed. Also excusions we enjoyed were downhill bike on Maui, Captain Zodiac on Kona and biking tour on Kilauea. Have a wonderful trip.

You are welcome. We enjoyed this cruise very much and would even do it again down the road. We stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu before the cruise. We hiked to top of Diamond Head the morning before we sailed. Also excusions we enjoyed were downhill bike on Maui, Captain Zodiac on Kona and biking tour on Kilauea. Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you. There are 6 of us going, celebrating 40, 50, 60 and 62nd birthdays. We're all really looking forward to it! We are staying at HHV also and plan on doing Diamond Head Saturday morning. Was your transportation to the ship through the hotel/NCL? We booked the hotel through NCL so transportation is included, but have no idea what time it would be for.

Thank you. There are 6 of us going, celebrating 40, 50, 60 and 62nd birthdays. We're all really looking forward to it! We are staying at HHV also and plan on doing Diamond Head Saturday morning. Was your transportation to the ship through the hotel/NCL? We booked the hotel through NCL so transportation is included, but have no idea what time it would be for.

I booked the transport to the ship through "robertshawaii tours". There were several time options I think we went early afternoon. We checked out in am, stored our luggage at hotel walked out to the street and took a local bus to Diamond Head. This was not the quickest way but it was early am and scenic trip. There are small refrigerators in the rooms so we ate breakfast quickly from items we had bought. We stayed in the Rainbow tower with a view of Diamond head. I can't wait to go back. ImageUploadedByForums1403729894.554384.jpg.df9d3bc0a392a2dc7bedb1300eab1fa9.jpg. Our room was on the 23 rd floor.

I booked the transport to the ship through "robertshawaii tours". There were several time options I think we went early afternoon. We checked out in am, stored our luggage at hotel walked out to the street and took a local bus to Diamond Head. This was not the quickest way but it was early am and scenic trip. There are small refrigerators in the rooms so we ate breakfast quickly from items we had bought. We stayed in the Rainbow tower with a view of Diamond head. I can't wait to go back. [ATTACH]317347[/ATTACH]. Our room was on the 23 rd floor.

Thanks again for answering all my questions. Glad you had a great trip!