Civitavecchia Temporary Drop Off Point

euro cruiser

There is still the free shuttle bus within the port, the only difference is where it drops you off/where you pick it up.

Is there any way you can ask to be dropped off at the port entrance? We would rather walk to the train station from there so we can make the 7:58 am train to Rome.

Is there any way you can ask to be dropped off at the port entrance? We would rather walk to the train station from there so we can make the 7:58 am train to Rome.

No, that area is closed because there are works going on there.

It's only about 10 minutes extra walk. I think most people would rather be dropped off at the old place, so your preference won't make much difference.

No, that area is closed because there are works going on there.

It's only about 10 minutes extra walk. I think most people would rather be dropped off at the old place, so your preference won't make much difference.

Thanks, Keith. So I guess the early train is no longer possible. Last time we were there, we got one of the earliest port shuttles to the fort, bought our BIRG on the way to the station, and made it with five minutes to spare.

Thanks, Keith. So I guess the early train is no longer possible. Last time we were there, we got one of the earliest port shuttles to the fort, bought our BIRG on the way to the station, and made it with five minutes to spare.

Yes, in that case then it will probably be hard to catch that one, unless you get very lucky or run fast.

• 3 weeks later...
We did the walk with our cases in May

Easy to do

Wow - you must both be very sporty - with luggage for me the bus is worth 80 cents (because there are a lot of kerbstones on the way to the station ...).

Was there less than 2 weeks ago, and although I have been to Civitavecchia many times, would not have known how to get to the train station from where the shuttle connected to the local bus (to the train station). (There was a man selling BIRGs & I'm guessing they would have been ok to use on the local bus? Ask first). The TI office wasn't there, so I didn't have access to a map of Civitavecchia. I wasn't aware of the construction in advance. On the ride in, the various places began to look familiar again (only because I had taken the bus to Tarquinia before & I was a little familiar with the town).

When we arrived back that afternoon, the bus line was so long we opted to walk. I had taken photos just in case, so we didn't get lost. TIP: if you're familiar with the normal bus stop, we later saw people walking through it.... just keep walking & there's another port shuttle Stop ahead a ways down on the right side. Or you can walk along the street above as mentioned by other posters.

Edited by syesmar

Was there less than 2 weeks ago, and although I have been to Civitavecchia many times, would not have known how to get to the train station from where the shuttle connected to the local bus (to the train station). (There was a man selling BIRGs & I'm guessing they would have been ok to use on the local bus? Ask first). The TI office wasn't there, so I didn't have access to a map of Civitavecchia. I wasn't aware of the construction in advance. On the ride in, the various places began to look familiar again (only because I had taken the bus to Tarquinia before & I was a little familiar with the town).

When we arrived back that afternoon, the bus line was so long we opted to walk. I had taken photos just in case, so we didn't get lost. TIP: if you're familiar with the normal bus stop, we later saw people walking through it.... just keep walking & there's another port shuttle Stop ahead a ways down on the right side. Or you can walk along the street above as mentioned by other posters.

Please can you give me some timescales of how long each section takes

I was under the impression that the free shuttle from epic to the train station was direct.

If you go back to post #1 you'll see that the distance to the train station during the temporary re-location of the shuttle bus drop-off point is less than a mile (barely) at 9/10th of a mile. How long that takes depends on how fast you walk, but for most people that's about 20 - 25 minutes on foot.

The starting point is a parking lot off Via Turco. You can make a google map of the location using these coordinates: 42.097354, 11.788769.

The train station is at the very southern end of Viale della Repubblica, and most of the walk is along Via XVI Settembre, which becomes Corso Marconi, and then along the waterfront.

Edited by euro cruiser

I was under the impression that the free shuttle from epic to the train station was direct.

The shuttle just takes you through the large and busy port to this aforementioned parking lot. You can then walk or take a bus for 1E to the train station.

We do so much walking when in Rome that I like to save my tootsies, I would probably opt for the bus but thankfully don't have to make that choice any time soon!

The shuttle just takes you through the large and busy port to this aforementioned parking lot. You can then walk or take a bus for 1E to the train station.

We do so much walking when in Rome that I like to save my tootsies, I would probably opt for the bus but thankfully don't have to make that choice any time soon!

Thanks both replies with the finer details - now I understand the arrangements which are due to temporary works.

I agree - the less walking the better given that we'll be walking around Rome all day!

Edited by kfowinst

Does anybody know if there is a chance / how to get a taxi to the train station?

Either directly from the ship, or at least from the shuttle drop-off?

I think the chances of either one are not good. Taxis at the ship are looking for all day fares to Rome. And the drop off is just a large parking lot, not much around it.

What is the earliest anyone has gotten off a Celebrity ship in Civitavecchia? We are trying to plan which train we will take into Rome to meet the owners of a B&B.

you might want to wait for a mid-morning train as we dock on a weekday and the early trains to rome are commuter trains that fill up to standing room only--not fun with luggage---jmho

Paul

you might want to wait for a mid-morning train as we dock on a weekday and the early trains to rome are commuter trains that fill up to standing room only--not fun with luggage---jmho

Paul

Thanks. We were afraid this might be the case. I am waiting for a response from a shuttle company to see what the cost would be into Rome. We could probably get a number of people from our ship to share the costs.

Thanks. We were afraid this might be the case. I am waiting for a response from a shuttle company to see what the cost would be into Rome. We could probably get a number of people from our ship to share the costs.

Although we have taken the train many times for day trips in Rome, when we have arrived to disembark we have used shared shuttles with others on our roll call. The cost was about €25 per person and we were delivered directly to our hotel. We felt this was good value. When calculating costs be sure to add in transportation from the train station to your hotel unless it's very close and walkable

Although we have taken the train many times for day trips in Rome, when we have arrived to disembark we have used shared shuttles with others on our roll call. The cost was about €25 per person and we were delivered directly to our hotel. We felt this was good value. When calculating costs be sure to add in transportation from the train station to your hotel unless it's very close and walkable

Do you recall the name of the shuttle company and how many passengers they required for the cost to be 25 euros pp?

Any update on when the work will be finished?

It's an Italian construction site - never-ending ... :D

I saw a posted photo on a German cruise forum (taken end of June).

Take a look at the first post of user "biko" - you don't need any German language skills to understand ... ;)

http://www.kreuzfahrten-treff.de/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11652