Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

Canal boat tour

This reminds me of Venice

DSCN0674.jpg

The Hermitage from the water..... it looks cold, we have blankets over our knees.

DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0683.jpg

We have driven by here..... and we are here again.... we will be back on foot.... the Yusupov Palace

DSCN0684.jpg

Am ashamed to say I have images of beautiful buildings the names of which now escape me..... and Google Images can't help..... :rolleyes:

St Michael's Castle (?)

DSCN0687.jpg

Thank you for the immigration details! Sounds like you made it off in under an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Indeed....... 30 - 45 minutes..... we had to walk the length of the ship on the pier to get to the immigration building.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

WP_001019.jpg

WP_001024.jpg

WP_001022.jpg

The Tomb of Peter the Great

WP_001015.jpg

The cathedral houses the remains of almost all the Russian Emperors and Empresses from Peter the Great to Nicholas II and his family who were finally laid to rest in July 1998. The remains of Nicholas, Alexandra and their children who were so tragically assassinated are buried below this room.

WP_001025.jpg

We stop by a souvenir shop on the way back..... I buy some......

WP_001027.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Back on board..... am too tired to head out to eat..... I'd pre-ordered my GF dinner the day before and the so very kindly had it delivered to my room. I got way more than I ordered.

DSCN0703.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

Soup, a starter, lamb shank, 2 desserts, 2 little bottles of red wine (1 of which is sitting in front of me right now) and of course...... the bread....

DSCN0706.jpg

I have a video of the video of the Peacock clock from the Hermitage.... trying to figure out how to post that..... may need to go to Youtube.....

Sunrise, talking 0430 here..... we are being picked up at 0600

DSCN0707.jpg

Train station

DSCN0710.jpg

DSCN0709.jpg

Pronounced Sapsan (Peregrine Falcon)

DSCN0711.jpg

We have been brought to the station by the lady on the left..... there are 2 groups under Alla's wing.

DSCN0712.jpg

Settling in

DSCN0713.jpg

Almost there....

DSCN0759.jpg

Kremlin is the Russian word for fortress, a major fortified central complex . The word is most often used for the famous one.... in Moscow.... and then subsequently to the government that is based there.

DSCN0761.jpg

The Red Square is not called red because of the preponderance of red brick / stone used there but stems from the Russian word for red and beautiful are the same, and the word beautiful was originally applied to St Basil's Cathedral.

DSCN0762.jpg

DSCN0764.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

It starts to rain so we head in to GUM.....

DSCN0772.jpg

Selfie-taking

DSCN0773.jpg

The interior is elegant

DSCN0775.jpg

The escalators only go up.....

DSCN0776.jpg

Rebuilt now, during the Communist era this had been knocked down to allow access for tanks and other war equipment to enter Red Square for military parades.

DSCN0777.jpg

Iverskaya Chapel

DSCN0779.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

The story goes you stand in the circle, make a wish and throw a coin..... I watch for a few minutes..... the guy in denims and the black hoody is helping himself to the fallen coins.....

DSCN0780.jpg

The statue of Marshal Zhukov, a WWII Commander, whose ashes are buried in the Kremlin wall. His horse is standing on a **** eagle..... am guessing CC will asterisk the 'n' word.

DSCN0781.jpg

There are no food vendors in the square..... it is kept immaculate as a result. This is a short walk away.

DSCN0782.jpg

Whilst everyone else is at lunch I head to the Hard Rock Cafe shop in Arbat, a pleasant shopping neighbourhood.

DSCN0783.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

FANTASTIC pictures, Linda!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post them!

I love that the menu on the train noted vegetarian options (and they even appeared to be vegan!) :)

I have a question (apologies if you've already mentioned it)-

We're the synagogues you visited currently in use on a regular basis? Did you sense if they had active congregations? Thanks!

Ruth

FANTASTIC pictures, Linda!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post them!

I love that the menu on the train noted vegetarian options (and they even appeared to be vegan!) :)

I have a question (apologies if you've already mentioned it)-

We're the synagogues you visited currently in use on a regular basis? Did you sense if they had active congregations? Thanks!

Ruth

Yes and yes..... wait for Tallinn...... unfortunately I didn't get to the one in Stockholm as it was Saturday.