Permission form needed if one parent takes child on a cruise?

kay1864

My daughter is divorced and has joint custody. However there is a court order stating father can't see child until age 18. Court order also states mom does not need fathers permission to travel outside of US. Is this enough with passport, birth certificate, marriage and divorce decree? It is not possible to get notarized letter from father as no contact in last 5 yrs per court order. I know we may not be asked for anything but just trying to be prepared in case they do ask.

This would only be an educated guess and not fact:

With the paperwork you have you should be fine. Bring originals and copies to be safe.

My daughter's father left when she was 6 weeks old. She and I cruised when she was a year and three months old with only birth certificates. (Nothing was said.) We got her passport when she was two and she has been on 3 other cruises with me. (Nothing was said.) My parents have taken her twice without me... last names are different... again, nothing was said. You should be fine. Relax and enjoy!

Ecstasy December 2004

Triumph December 2011

Magic March 2012

Magic December 2012

Liberty August 2014

My daughter's father left when she was 6 weeks old. She and I cruised when she was a year and three months old with only birth certificates. (Nothing was said.) We got her passport when she was two and she has been on 3 other cruises with me. (Nothing was said.) My parents have taken her twice without me... last names are different... again, nothing was said. You should be fine. Relax and enjoy!

you are telling her to relax simply because you were ok 3 times?

Here's how I look at it...as my friend was once denied boarding for not having it....

how are you going to feel that one time you get the newbie agent who demands to see the letter? How are you and your child going to feel watching your ship leave port, with you standing on the pier because you didn't want to get a paper signed?

Now, I know there are extreme cases. Mine for example- my ex was a total AHole...i could not get permission. I was never willing to book travel for a family of 5 and then lose out all that money so we didn't cruise with the older 2 kids until they were 18. Sad I know. But he's that big of an ahole. Now we've taken them on a few making up for lost time. :D

I panicked yesterday as my youngest ds-9 & I leave for our cruise tomorrow morning and I forgot to get the paper. My dh is not going with us..he's staying home and working to pay for more cruises lol. Thankfully we were able to find a notary on Sunday evening to get it done. Whew. Now I can relax and wait for my cruise!

$5 for notary for peace of mind? you bet!

Prepare for the worst and hope for the worst and hope for the best.

I take all kinds of documentation... I haven't ever been asked for anything other than her boarding documents.

And yes, she should have her documentation, relax and enjoy her vacation.

Ecstasy December 2004

Triumph December 2011

Magic March 2012

Magic December 2012

Liberty August 2014

Technically, between my cruises and the cruises with her grandparents we have been "okay" for eight cruises.

and 'almost packed' had a friend denied boarding...

so I guess your 8 will not guarantee anything...

be on the safe side and get the documentation if you can. it 'could' help you while boarding

Guess I should've prefaced my previous statement with, "I always bring a plethora of documentation (notarized documents, power of attorney, birth certificates, passports, shot record, etc...) I just haven't been asked for any of it."

By all means prepare... my point was that we weren't asked for anything other than her passport.

Ecstasy December 2004

Triumph December 2011

Magic March 2012

Magic December 2012

Liberty August 2014

Guess I should've prefaced my previous statement with, "I always bring a plethora of documentation (notarized documents, power of attorney, birth certificates, passports, shot record, etc...) I just haven't been asked for any of it."

By all means prepare... my point was that we weren't asked for anything other than her passport.

Ecstasy December 2004

Triumph December 2011

Magic March 2012

Magic December 2012

Liberty August 2014

maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.. my apologies.