Island Tour

RiddySox

Can anyone recommend an island tour of either Saint Thomas or Saint John? We're doing Bernard's Tours in Saint Maarten and was hoping for something similar to that for this island, too (a couple of local "not to miss" spots along with some beach time and maybe some local shopping time). I haven't found anything promising yet, but I'm hoping someone here can help!

Can anyone recommend an island tour of either Saint Thomas or Saint John? We're doing Bernard's Tours in Saint Maarten and was hoping for something similar to that for this island, too (a couple of local "not to miss" spots along with some beach time and maybe some local shopping time). I haven't found anything promising yet, but I'm hoping someone here can help!

We are doing this tour on our Oasis cruise later this year. Seems to get good reviews on here.

http://godfreytoursvi.com/

On St Thomas many taxi drivers you see at the dock provide the ideal tour that you are describing. You'll visit some of the historic area along with stops at Drake's Seat, the overlook on Skyline Drive, Mountaintop, and other highlights either on the way to the beach or back to Charlotte Amalie. Very flexible and you are not tied to a larger group with a specific itinerary. No need to plan ahead, you can be a bit more spontaneous and you can decide how much time you spend touring.

For St John you can get there on your own (several threads here on thst topic) and drivers there give you a tour for $25pp then drop you at a beach. Taxi to Red Hook and ferry to Cruz Bay is about $34pp roundtrip (+ tour cost).

Edited by blue_water

In 2009 we took a sightseeing tour of St. Thomas with Papa Bear from Airforce 1/HaveFunwithUs Tours which included 2 hours of beach time. At that time Mountain Top was recently destroyed in a fire, so we stopped at St. Peter's Great House instead.

Although there is no visit to an iguana farm or sea urchin man like in Bernard's tours, you will get a sightseeing tour of the island (which includes many scenic overlooks), admire the view from Mountain Top, which is 1547 ft above sea level, stop for shopping and have time to unwind on a tropical beach (usually Sapphire, Magen's or Coki).

If you are interested to learn more about our tour with Papa Bear, check out my review with photos and/or my Youtube video in the links below:

My review, posts #37-#40

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=2

Youtube Video:

[YOUTUBE]eEfiNJZhl8g[/YOUTUBE]

Sunny Liston, Godfrey and Christopher EEE Tours are other St. Thomas tour operators that are also highly recommended on these boards.

On St Thomas many taxi drivers you see at the dock provide the ideal tour that you are describing. You'll visit some of the historic area along with stops at Drake's Seat, the overlook on Skyline Drive, Mountaintop, and other highlights either on the way to the beach or back to Charlotte Amalie. Very flexible and you are not tied to a larger group with a specific itinerary. No need to plan ahead, you can be a bit more spontaneous and you can decide how much time you spend touring.

For St John you can get there on your own (several threads here on thst topic) and drivers there give you a tour for $25pp then drop you at a beach. Taxi to Red Hook and ferry to Cruz Bay is about $34pp roundtrip (+ tour cost).

We have done Bernards tour many times so I am very familiar with what they provide.

Never done Godfreytours but they do get good reviews on TripAdvisor and may be what you are looking for in St. Thomas and maybe similar to Bernards Tour.

Also good suggestion was by Blue Water regarding Taxis at the pier giving you a tour of the island with some beach time.

Don't know if you are interested in St. John's but it is one beautiful island and 2/3 of it is a National Park. It is one of my favorite islands along with St Maarten. Usually when we want to do St. John, we always go through the cruise line for the Self Explore St. John's on your own for $34pp. We would then do a taxi for sightseeing and beach once we get off the ferry in St. John. Plenty of taxis are right there at the ferry drop off to assist you. The price through the cruise line over to St. John's would be the same price as taking a taxi over to Red Hook and then catching the ferry on your own.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Do any of the taxis at the port accept credit cards or would we need cash ? We would like the flexible option - just wanted to keep cash to a minimum. thanks!

All the times we have been to St. Thomas and have taken taxis I never saw anyone using a credit card. Not to say they don't take credit cards, just never saw it. Hopefully someone else on cruise credit may have experience using a cc.