Should I tell P & O I have MS?

campergirl62

We're off on our very first cruise on 31st August on Oceana to the Norwegian fjords. Do I need to let anyone know that I have MS? Most of the time I manage very well although sometimes you would think I've been on the sauce as I do tend to lose my balance, mostly at the time when everyone is looking! Sometimes my walking speed is not that fast, especially when I'm tired. But apart from using a walking stick to help with the balance, mostly I get about ok, although at my own speed.

Of course, I've declared it on our travel insurance, luckily it doesn't add much as MS is a chronic disease and the chances of me needing a doctor for it are very slim. Not much they could do much anyway! But I just thought I should ask. Getting excited now, 10 weeks on Sunday until we go. We've booked some trips through P & O, Flam railway, a trip to Hardangervidda plateau, and a boat trip from Kristiansand. All just morning trips so I don't tire myself out. So looking forward to it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi campergirl62

You don't have to tell them....but it might be advisable to do so, for your own benefit and safety. And for safety reasons on board - in the event of an emergency (unlikely but still possible!) staff ought to know that a passenger may require additional crew assistance. Also once you have told them they are obliged to ask if there is anything they can assist with eg. The location of your table in the restaurant .

I know when booking through my travel agent, they always ask me if anyone in the party has any form of disability or pre existing medical condition that should be made known. Don't know why but there must be a reason!

I suspect that when you are on board you may well find that you are a lot more mobile and steady on your feet than many of the other passengers .......:D

Hope you have a wonderful time - can't wait until we go to the fjords next year. I am sure you will fall in love with cruising - so much less tiring and stressful than getting a plane anywhere! :)

No real need to tell P & O before you travel, although you can if you wish. However, once onboard I would go to the Passengers Service Desk and advise them that you may need help in an emergency. That means they allocate someone to check your stateroom and give assistance if needed. All for peace of mind, my legs have a habit of not working properly when I need them most!

My husband has ms as well as other pre existing illnesses. We don't tell P and O about particular illnesses but as he uses a wheelchair we need to fill in a questionnaire which as already stated this lets them know that you need extra help in an emergency. Have a fantastic cruise and I am sure you will soon become addicted,:)

Hi just back from a cruise with Oceana my wife has ms and we use a wheelchair as getting around can be slow for her we book a disabled cabin a lot Moore room to move about no need to tell p&o about your ms any questions we can answer we will try to help:D

We decided to try a cruise as nowadays coping with airports etc can be just a bit too much. Hopefully a cruise will be a bit easier and I can still see places without getting too tired out. I just need a walking stick at the moment and long may that last! Just waiting for NICE to approve Tecfidera in England. Just glad to be off the interferon injections, too many side effects for me.

But we're so looking forward to our cruise. We're both keen photographers so hoping to get plenty of photo opportunities. I know that Steve would help me anyway if there was a Titanic moment. I've got my posh frocks and I'm looking for a matching walking stick in black and silver. I never let MS stop me doing what I want and where I want to go, just plan ahead a bit. I'm sure I won't be the only one anyway using a mobility aid. I'm guessing I might be one of the younger ones though as I'm 51 and Steve is 52. It's never stopped us mixing with all ages, we had a long weekend in Spain in March and spent an evening with a 90 year old. Actually it was until 1.30am and he was still going when we left.

Still, roll on 10 weeks Sunday.

Have a great time Campergirl. Oceana is not too big a ship and easy to get around. No one will look twice at a walking stick - there will no doubt be others. If you want great photos coming into port, Oceana has a wonderful forward observation deck above the Conservatory.

We decided to try a cruise as nowadays coping with airports etc can be just a bit too much. Hopefully a cruise will be a bit easier and I can still see places without getting too tired out. I just need a walking stick at the moment and long may that last! Just waiting for NICE to approve Tecfidera in England. Just glad to be off the interferon injections, too many side effects for me.

But we're so looking forward to our cruise. We're both keen photographers so hoping to get plenty of photo opportunities. I know that Steve would help me anyway if there was a Titanic moment. I've got my posh frocks and I'm looking for a matching walking stick in black and silver. I never let MS stop me doing what I want and where I want to go, just plan ahead a bit. I'm sure I won't be the only one anyway using a mobility aid. I'm guessing I might be one of the younger ones though as I'm 51 and Steve is 52. It's never stopped us mixing with all ages, we had a long weekend in Spain in March and spent an evening with a 90 year old. Actually it was until 1.30am and he was still going when we left.

Still, roll on 10 weeks Sunday.

Have a superb cruise. You will love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with everything already said, however can I just sound a word of advice (more of a monetary kind).

A young gentleman on one of our cruises had MS and he got about fine with the aid of a stick. One day the excursion was particularly long, hot & tiring & on getting back on board ship he suddenly needed the help of a steward with a wheelchair to help him back to his cabin. His wife decided that they should hold on to the wheelchair (P&O property) for at least 24 hours until he recovered & this is where it hit the pocket. To keep the wheelchair he had to go see the doctor for an examination to say 'Yes, you need the wheelchair'. This examination was unnecessary (due to his already diagnosed condition) & costly & would cost even more if the doctor had to visit him in his cabin. He had to go along with it otherwise he would have been 'cabin bound' until he recovered & couldn't get off the ship the next day. He was also charged for the daily rental of the wheelchair! As it turns out, he couldn't get off the ship the next day anyway because they wouldn't allow the wheelchair to be taken on shore! When they queried the cost etc they were told it would have been easier if he had brought his own wheelchair - an insult really as he didn't have a wheelchair as he preferred to try & be independently mobile for as long as he could - something I can fully understand as my 45 year old sister-in-law has MS & she has the same determination.

So have a lovely cruise but be aware of the possibility of having to incur unexpected hidden charges!

Thanks for the advice about wheelchairs. So far, I haven't reached that stage yet. We've tried to plan ahead as much as possible and booked excursions with minimal walking and all finish by lunchtime. So hopefully back on the ship for the afternoon to relax and rest.

As anyone with MS knows, the fatigue it brings is one of the worst things to deal with. Also I'm not expecting it to be particularly warm so that helps as well. I've got my insurance and declared my MS so hopefully that should be fine and not needed. 9 weeks tomorrow!!!