need advice ASAP from experienced Royal travelers

Ask your TA to do a 3 way call with you, resolutions and the TA to get this resolved. The TA should have already gotten the local sales manager involved - they can work wonders.

Edited by DebJ14

My heart goes out to you BIG TIME! I too am a 'planner' and consequently would generally rather look after the booking myself than let a TA.

That said I don't understand why so many of you are quick to blame the TA.

The OP said NO one was notified of the change. Is a TA seriously suppose to be psychic and just 'know' there was a change made OR is he/she expected to check your booking everyday just in case a change is made?

The only error the TA may have perhaps made is booking 2 in a quad room.

HOWEVER he/she did that in order to get the three rooms in a row… and considering the minors involved - that was a reasonable thing to do. Also, there is nothing stopping a double from booking a quad and no flashing light appears saying 'warning we might move you'.

I will make one assumption here - that the three bookings were LINKED. If that is true then RCCL is the one at 100% fault IMO.

All the best of wishes to you and I look forward to hearing how the story ends.

What I don't understand is people getting bumped at all. Why would someone be able to call Royal and ask for a quad cabin because they are all sold out :confused:

If I look and see there are no suitable cabins in the category I want, I figure I am out of luck. I don't call and ask them if they can bump someone :confused:

We got royally screwed. Their idea of a resolution was to force both sets of grandparents to move out of their d1 cabins and into the cabins downs the hall and two over and put us and both sets of. MInors in the three adjacent d1 cabins. They said it was the only way we would be allowed to sail. Their idea of compensation was a free voucher for all of us at one specialty restaurant and three $100 vouchers for each of the three adult cabins. That doesn't even cover the cost of the difference between what they paid for the d1 cabins and the to the other lower level balcony cabins. Ridiculous! I finally got my TA to connect us to someone In resolutions. They repeated their offer of the vouchers and dinner. When I pointed out that this didn't even cover the cost of changing against their will to a downgraded level of cabin, she got quiet. When I then told her we've been on many different cruises and decided to come back to royal but were now rethinking our decision, she put us on hold, and then on a three way call with sales. We re explained their error, and since the ship was completely full, they couldn't move us anywhere. Our TA found another 4 person Cabin on a higher deck and royal tried to get the people who were given our cabin to move, but they refused as they had other family on this deck. Those people didn't have to move against their will (and I don't blame them) but we do?

The bottom line is my in laws agreed to take the cabin down the hall. My parents would have taken the cabin two over but I insisted they keep their d1 as my mom has health issues and I wanted her to be in the larger balcony where she can stay put and be among the group of adjacent rooms. That means that after we check in they will have to get extra room keys so they can switch with the older girls. The younger girls will be in the d1 cabin next to us. So basically royal made all of us switch rooms in the end for something that wasn't our fault.

My husband and I continued to politely explain to the sales person that the compensation they were offering for their mistake was not enough. Her ultimate resolution was to figure out the lowest price the d1 cabins for this sailing were sold for even after the final payment date, which they told us was making an exception For us. DH pointed out that they already made an exception to their rules by forcing us to accept cabins we didn't want! Anyway, at the end of it all, we got a very large "refund". It did not make up for the hassle or the stress or the inconvenience we went through or the fact that we did not end up with the 5 cabins in a row i specifically booked 16 months ago, but it was enough for us to move on and prepare for our trip.

We are in FLL at our hotel and are anxious to begin what I know will be a great trip.

I love how people assume you won't be in your room. The main reason we book a balcony is so we can stay in our room and enjoy our vacation alone, away from others and only leave our room when we have to do something like eat. Not everyone is into the crowds on a ship

I'm glad you managed to get this resolved somewhat satisfactorily, and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

On your return, you might find it worth writing to corporate about your experience. The fact that someone at royal moved you in violation of their own policy is concerning and the kind of thing management ought to be aware of.