Royal Caribbean Insurance - Fantastic

We have also had a very positive experience with BerkleyCare when my mother fell and broke her hip a couple of days before we were to cruise. MY DH handled the claim, but said that they were very compassionate and easy to work with. After he sent the requested documentation, we had our refund very quickly.

We had always purchased insurance in the past primarily because of our responsibilities caring for my aging parents and our DD. However, even now that my parents are both gone and our DD is an adult, we purchase it in case we need medical attention or evacuation!

Not talking about the cruise care part, but seeing how you were in San Juan and your insurance did not pay anything, I would find another insurance company that pays emergency room bills!

We purchase annual now for our non-US ports.

easier said than done! Unless I want to pay boatloads a month for insurance, this is what I get - basically insurance if I land in the hospital or have over $3500 a year in medical bills. Getting individual insurance is MUCH more difficult that when you get group insurance when employed by a company. I am self-employed and insurance is VERY expensive for me to get anything better than what I have. The emergency rooms bills went towards my deductible, therefore they did not pay anything and I had to pay the hospital myself.

I'm always floored every time I read a post from a cruise passenger that is lambasting the cruise line for not making an exception for their accident/unexpected illness or death in family. Yes, I always feel badly that someone experienced an unexpected accident, but isn't that why you buy insurance....for the unexpected accidents and illnesses?

The folks have been doing cruises since the late 1970s and one thing they drilled into me is always, always, ALWAYS get the insurance, without exception. Plane problems and a health issue they experienced over the years (separate cruises, fortunately) were both fully sorted as a result.

"It's as much for the reasons you CAN think of as for those you CAN'T"

I'm glad it worked out well for the OP. But everyone needs to make their own informed decision about travel insurance. Personally, looking at my overall portfolio, I don't find cruise insurance to be a worthwhile investment, so I don't get it.

I find it absurd that people who choose NOT to get insurance would ever expect the cruise line to make "an exception". But I find it equally absurd that some people feel compelled to make blanked assertions that travel insurance is a good investment for everyone.

I'm glad it worked out well for the OP. But everyone needs to make their own informed decision about travel insurance. Personally, looking at my overall portfolio, I don't find cruise insurance to be a worthwhile investment, so I don't get it.

I find it absurd that people who choose NOT to get insurance would ever expect the cruise line to make "an exception". But I find it equally absurd that some people feel compelled to make blanked assertions that travel insurance is a good investment for everyone.

Travel insurance can never be considered as an investment, it is a gamble. You are betting, nothing bad will occur, so you did not need it. And if it worked out, you are happy. And you will tell everyone how you well you did. If it doesn't change how will you feel,then you won't.

Trust me, I traveled without the insurance when I started cruising. I figured, I have been healthy all of my life, so why do I need And I didn't.

But then, I did not need auto insurance. I had never had an accident. But the states I was in would not let me. But it was a gamble.

Home owners insurance, I had to have it. I gambled that a hurricane or tornado or fire would not destroy my home.

Much less the situation that someone would sustain any injury in any of the above situations which could have happened.

Insurance is our gamble, that something can happen will not cause long term damage to our lifestyle, our as you put it, your portfolio.

Edited by mo&fran

Lots of good information here ... which is what all of need to make informed decisions about what is best for us. As a result of reading through this, I'm going to check on whether my medical insurance includes Canada, since I plan to spend several days in Vancouver before my next cruise.

I rarely go without insurance. I procrastinated about getting it until it was too close to sail date to get it, for the Grandeur sailing last year. As it turned out, that was one of the sailings that was cancelled due to the Grandeur fire. In that case, my lack of action saved me the cost of the insurance, because all costs were reimbursed by RCI, less the cost of insurance. But I certainly don't advocate the practice ... and I won't let time get away from me again.

For me, the cost buys more than coverage ... it buys peace of mind.

Travel insurance can never be considered as an investment, it is a gamble. You are betting, nothing bad will occur, so you did not need it. And if it worked out, you are happy. And you will tell everyone how you well you did. If it doesn't change how will you feel,then you won't.

Trust me, I traveled without the insurance when I started cruising. I figured, I have been healthy all of my life, so why do I need And I didn't.

But then, I did not need auto insurance. I had never had an accident. But the states I was in would not let me. But it was a gamble.

Home owners insurance, I had to have it. I gambled that a hurricane or tornado or fire would not destroy my home.

Much less the situation that someone would sustain any injury in any of the above situations which could have happened.

Insurance is our gamble, that something can happen will not cause long term damage to our lifestyle, our as you put it, your portfolio.

I respectfully disagree. Many types of insurance can be looked at as an investment. Rather than spend a couple hundred dollars or whatever it works out to covering trips, I find it a more favorable move "FOR ME" to invest that money in other ways. I don't think of it as a gamble, I think of it as trying to get the best return. Just like other investments, the yield and the risk vary. I look at the risk and the yield, and decide if the investment makes sense to me.