Signed up for Eli's NEW tour!!

erniesband

Erniesband,

You had to get one up on me , didn't you? :) We have been on the regular Eco Tour 4 times, but Constellation doesn't go to Antigua when we sail her again. :(

Repeat customers are the best recommendation...

I have already booked the Eco-tour for my first time in Antigua...it was hard to choose between the Eco and the Circumnavigation. But, apparently, the spot I most want to visit (the arch, as shown on their homepage) is only a photo op on the speedy tour....

Erniesband,

You had to get one up on me , didn't you? :) We have been on the regular Eco Tour 4 times, but Constellation doesn't go to Antigua when we sail her again. :(

By count we'll be even after we go in January. We missed Antigua last year when we were on the Empress 11-night, this year she goes to Antigua instead of St Barth's, oh well.....

Once on the Eco-tour Eli took us over to Cades Reef to snorkle and I thought that it was a much better spot than the area around Bird Island that the tour regularly stops at. We'll let you know all about it when we get back :D

ernie

Repeat customers are the best recommendation...

I have already booked the Eco-tour for my first time in Antigua...it was hard to choose between the Eco and the Circumnavigation. But, apparently, the spot I most want to visit (the arch, as shown on their homepage) is only a photo op on the speedy tour....

Climbing Hell's Gate is a must for the Eco tour. It's not that hard to do, however take watershoes or sport sandals, the limestone is sharp! This is the tour I'd recommend for your first time in Antigua ;)

ernie

So Eli has two tours now? I'll have to check that out. We are already booked on the Eco tour.

Yes, it sounds great! Do you have a need for speed :)

http://www.adventureantigua.com/tour.html

The Extreme Circumnav - Using our 45 ft offshore racing boat, specifically designed for our excursion.

Eli Fuller of Adventure Antigua has finally come up with another Adventure to match his wildly popular Eco-Tour. You have probably heard all about the Eco-Tour which was designed to be a re-creation of Eli's childhood days, spent exploring the secret spots of the North Sound. This new Xtreme tour takes adventurers right around Antigua's rugged, 365 beach coastline. Count them if you can!

Eli designed this tour to stay within the same theme of his famous Eco-Tour, but to be different enough for you to enjoy both on the same vacation. The main highlights of this Xtreme adventure, making it totally unique, are the high speed Miami Vice style run, through the amazing islands of the north sound with its myriad coral reefs, the Stingray City Marine Park swim where you can have your picture taken actually holding one of these ancient and beautiful fish; the Robinson Crusoe style, buffet lunch at Green Island with your toes in the water; the tour of Nelson's Dockyard with your own on-board local historian; the guided snorkel trip at the awesome Pillars of Hercules with its volcanic boulders below the surface, and the swim and beach combing at the extremely secluded and beautiful Rendezvous Bay. This tour is done within the same timeframe as the Eco-Tour, and we manage to do this because our newest boat is FAST. Between stops our new boat will race you past the beaches and shores of Antigua so you'd better be a quick counter to get the 365!

There are however a few things you have to keep in mind before you decide to go on this tour because, like the Eco-Tour, this tour is not for everyone.

1) The boat is a high performance 45-foot power boat using three, eco-friendly, 225hp Four Stroke Yamaha engines that sip fuel. Top cruise speed is an exhilarating 40 MPH which we will be doing passing the islands of the North Sound. If you "feel the need for speed" then this will be your favorite part of the trip! But if high speed thrills have never been your thing, then you would definitely be happier on the slower paced Eco-Tour.

2) Although the boat has been designed for offshore racing, the 5 mile run from Stingray City to our Lunch Spot on the North of Green Island could be a little "bumpy" for some. This tour is not recommended if you are preganant. Also, if you dislike wild, amusement park rides then again, this tour isn't for you. However, if you are the extreme kind of person who likes some excitement and wants to experience what an offshore powerboat race feels like then the spray of this wild, open water section will keep you smiling.

3) This tour has some really great spots to stop along the day, but it is not all about snorkeling and beaching. We will have 2 stops for snorkeling including the Stingray City stop, but if all you want to do is snorkel, then another tour will be your best bet.

4) This isn't the booze cruise your parents did in the "good old days". If you are" young at heart" (and not "faint of heart") it could just be the thrill of a lifetime but you need to understand that the Xtreme tour has been designed for people who are fit and are leading an active lifestyle.

So if you are up for some extreme action and are loving the idea of getting into the water with dozens of very friendly rays (they will come up and touch you!!), and if the image of that 40mph burst past the islands of the North Sound, and the adventurous ride in the Atlantic - if all this turns you on… then you are an ideal candidate for the Xtreme adventure! ….. And speaking about booze, we do serve our famous Eco-Tour rum punch, but only at the end of the tour when the adventure is drawing to a close.

Our new Xtreme adventure is unbeatable as a way to see the coastline of our beautiful island and it could definitely be the most fun you have ever had on a holiday excursion.

Nov-May US $170; May to Nov US $150 - Snorkeling gear, food and drinks are provided.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are going on the Serenade Nov 26 and we are trying to decided betweent the 2 tours...we emailed last night and it seems like the Xtreme tour gives you more opportunity to see the whole island and have some unique opportunities (swim with sting rays) that you might not get on another island or tour. The eco tour has the hiking and snorkeling that are probably available (altough I am sure not as good) on other islands. I think we are leaning toward the Xtreme tour because we like to go fast :) but I would love input from someone who has done both...we have never been to Antigua before if that makes any difference.

Haven't done both yet, but we've thoroughly enjoyed the times we've been on the Eco tour. The types of hiking on that tour (particularly Hells Gate) are really unlike anything we've ever found on any of the other islands. The snorkeling's been great to so so, depending on the specific location we've gone from year to year, or the water quality at the time (if there's been a lot of rain in the weeks preceeding, there tends to be a lot of turbulence, but that is true of any of the islands). We're really looking forward to doing the Xtreme tour in January.

I'd be surprised if you find any other cruisers who have done both yet; the new tour has been in operation for only a few months. You might have better luck finding someone on an Antigua chat board (non-cruising). Someone who's done a land vacation on the island might have done both in one week.

• 4 weeks later...

Kathi - We are going in April. Here is what is on my print-out: "We collect on the Redcliffe Quay Board Walk, in St. John's, which is a 3 minute walk from your ship dock, at 8:50a. 9am. and have you back at 3:15pm."

We were also asked to e-mail them before we sail to say we were still taking this tour.

Have a wonderful excursion this week. I am envious!

I am currently on the golden princess and I am doing the eco-tour this week . I forgot my confirmation letter from Eli. Does anyone know what time and exactly where they meet us to take us on the eco-tour?

I'm on the Golden next week and this is part of my e-mail confirmation:

"We will be picking you up by the Jolly Roger Café on the

Redcliffe Quay Board Walk (By the Jolly Roger dock) in St. John's, which

is 3 minutes walk from your ship dock, at 10:00am (the boat leaves at

10am so please be there for 9:55am) and have you back at about 4:15pm.

The boat is an open white power-cat 52 foot long with a large white top.

It has a large “Adventure Antigua” sign on the side of the hull. We

encourage all our guests to Please be ON TIME because we may have other

people to pick up along the way."

Good luck.

Kathi, I'd e-mail Eli tonight - or tomorrow - and check on that time. I think we've usually met him at 9:00, but don't actually remember for sure. It is a very brief walk to where he meets you, and the boat's hard to miss, with that "Adventure Antigua" painted in BIG letters on the side. Of course, you could always walk over there at 9:00 and check it out. If you're early, you have a little time to stroll around. You guys are going to have a blast - wish I were going with you.

Juswanahavefun, if you're reading the thread, which tour did you decide to do?

We can't wait to be back in Antigua in January, on the new tour!

Jodi

My husband and I are going on the Serenade Nov 26 and we are trying to decided betweent the 2 tours...we emailed last night and it seems like the Xtreme tour gives you more opportunity to see the whole island and have some unique opportunities (swim with sting rays) that you might not get on another island or tour. The eco tour has the hiking and snorkeling that are probably available (altough I am sure not as good) on other islands. I think we are leaning toward the Xtreme tour because we like to go fast :) but I would love input from someone who has done both...we have never been to Antigua before if that makes any difference.

I don't remember seeing you over on our Meet & Mingle thread. We have a fun group over there. Come chat with us. Ser 11/26/05

• 3 years later...

We have booked Eli's Xtreme tour for our May sailing. It looks liks so much fun and I will be sure to report back! One of the nice parts is that you get a private stop at the stingray park at a time opposite when the "cruise tours" are there so you get the place all to yourself.

Had to laugh when I saw this thread had been dredged up :D. We posted it 4 years ago when we booked for first Xtreme, and now we're booked for his NEWEST Antiguan adventure, next January, on his new hand-built classic Caribbean 40' sailboat, Ocean Adventure. We've followed her building, launching, and first sails on-line for months now, and can't wait get aboard!

Texed, are you going to make it on the sailboat before we do :)?

Jodi

How long are the tours? Does anyone have Eli's email? I could not find it on his website. They look like great tours. I will need time to buy some rum, however... lol

The tours are about 6 hours long, designed to have you back to the dock well in time to re-board your ship. None of Eli's guests have ever missed their ship, but they are all day tours. And you get some of the best rum punch in the Caribbean, served in the afternoons. They're not booze cruises, the rum punch doesn't come out until after all the snorkeling is done (the safe way to do it), but they aren't dry, either. Other beverages throughout the day include water, coke, and local fruit juices (tamarind and passion fruit, I think).

You can contact them through the booking page http://www.adventureantigua.com/book.htm. Since you're not giving them a credit card, you'll be okay, they'll respond to any questions you have before you commit.

Jodi

• 3 weeks later...
I had heard there was a lot of swimming on this tour. Obviously, if there is snorkeling, there is swimming, but is it okay for novice snorkelers and average swimmers?

We are not strong swimmers and did fine. At Bird Island, the water is shallow, you can walk in most of the snorkeling places. When you get off this island to the deep snorkeling, you will have on a snorkeling vest. This helps tremendously if you are concerned. At Devil's Island (I think that is its name, it has been a while) there is a strong current between the boat and the island. You may want to wear a vest going over. My DH had a hard time getting to the island and needed assistance. He thought he was going to not make it. The crew was great at helping him.

I am sure you will be fine.

Archived