What was the story about the floating man in the Stockholm canal?

When we saw it, it was definitely a male! When we came back the male part was gone. We were told that the added part was a prank! It certainly got attention! We have before and after pictures...........what a hoot! I just wonder who did it?

I understand there have been several questions about the floating sculpture in Strommen. It was made by a female artist (sorry, but I can’t remember her name right now) a couple off years ago. The hand was put there sometime in early 2004 in time for the Venus passage (when the planet passed the hand was actually pointing towards it which was more of a lucky coincidence). The face was added earlier this year. In an interview in the morning paper a few months ago the artist mentioned that she has plans to add more features to the sculpture but that she has not yet decided if it’s a male or a female. So no one knows what type of body part will be the next to appear, but its widely discussed among Stockholmers. J

Last week the annual gay Pride Festival (these are held in several cities across Europe) was held in Stockholm and apparently someone decided to add a “male member” to the sculpture. I never saw it and there were no stories about it in the morning paper either. However, the tabloids may have written about it but I never read them. Anyway it was probably a fun prank and I don’t know who put it there, for how long it was there or who removed it. So this is just my theory. Now I am kind of sad I missed it, it must have been a fun sight! J

Greetings,

The infamous photo of "the extra part" is now available for viewing (mature audiences only please) on our web site (click on the "Stockholm Pix" link).

Thanks to crazy4crusin for sending us the photo.

Enjoy

Al

When we got off our shuttle in Stockholm, it was floating on the canal near the parliament and Opera House. We took pictures and walked around about an hour. When we returned "the male member" was gone............It certainly got a lot of attention :)

Archived