Tips charged to sea pass daily?

By taking the cruise you gave them permission to charge for your gratuities. It's in the cruise contract that you had to agree to and sign for indicating your approval.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Where does it say anywhere that they can do this. Tipping is discretionary not mandatory. I will not be allowing them to take money off me that I may not believe is earned. I will decide who to tip and how much and I will and always do tip.

I worked in the shipping industry for 8 years and never received a tip. I received a wage. When that wasn't enough I left and done something else. The people who work on the ships do it because they want to no one is forcing them.

Tipping is a very American thing and as someone stated not very many people who work on there are American. The majority I've met are from the eastern block countries. So how does that work??

How do you know they get these tips. They never see them it goes into RCL massive bank account. At least they get dollars in their hand when I leave the ship

Tips are not a right

If I ate at the buffet every night I wouldn't tip the main dining room. The waiters in the MDR will get their tips from the customers at their tables that they serve. I would be inclined to tip the buffet staff who help with drinks and your wife who you stated needs a little extra help.

Just so you know the waiter staff who work the buffet are the same waiters and assistant waiters that work in the MDR. They ALL have time scheduled in the buffet in addition to the time they work the dinner schedule as well as have to cover the lunchtime crowd and breakfast crowd in the MDR.

They are the cruise lines 'wait staff' simple as that.

With all the tipping for great service, shouldn't you tip the navigator and captain for getting you where you're supposed to go and the engineer for making possible?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If those people only made $50/mo without being tipped, I probably would.

I guess I'll waste my breath. I don't understand what people don't get about this. These employees signed up for a contract that would pay them a specific salary, and the potential to receive more based on service quality. It is none of your business what crew members get paid. It is your business to tip based on service. If you are so concerned about making things right, you give them $100/hour.

In any company there is a small percentage of employees that think they have the right to change the contract they signed. Most RCI employees are very happy. They were not abducted and forced to work on a ship. They are free to go when their contract is completed.

We had this discussion in the MDR on our last cruise. Some rookie cruisers at dinner were moaning about the salary they had heard crew members receive. According to them it was just absolutely horrible, and we heard this ever spoke, proper wage statement. First question, on which country do base this proper wage? Of course they did not even bother to remember their service staff names let alone which country they came from. I then asked how long do you think crew members stay with RCI? Basically they said a crew member would only stay for one year. Confident, I asked our waiter how long he had been with RCI; four years. I then asked the assistant waiter, and even I was a little shocked, he said 6 years!

Flame away. But it's not up to me to pay for your life's choices.

No flame here you have your opinion i have mine.You tip the way you want,and i will tip the way i want.Also you are not paying tips for me,you are paying for your self.The tips i pay are for me not you.All mine will be in cash.No auto tips for me.Steveru621 have a great next cruise. :)

Not sure I understand why it should get Nasty? I had a legitimate question and wanted to find the answer......NOT public opinion. And it is insure....The same way you pay to insure your car or home etc....

Here's an analogy: I get paid on the last day of the month. I work on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 . . . And so on. But I am only paid on Day 31. Does that mean my contributions earlier in the month were worthless, while I was superb on Day 31? Of course not! It's just the system.

Cruise ship wait staff work breakfast, lunch, AND dinner . . . But they are only paid by the people to whom they are "assigned" at dinner. Does that mean their work at breakfast and lunch was worthless? Of course not. It's just the system used by the ship. It's not a very good system, but it is the one that is set up at this point.

If you eat only in the buffet, the wait staff still works on your behalf. They keep the trays of food full, replenish the plates, bring drinks and refills, etc. I'm thinking you've never worked in food service if you don't know this, but I doubt you intentionally want to stiff the staff.

Where does it say anywhere that they can do this. Tipping is discretionary not mandatory. I will not be allowing them to take money off me that I may not believe is earned. I will decide who to tip and how much and I will and always do tip.

I worked in the shipping industry for 8 years and never received a tip. I received a wage. When that wasn't enough I left and done something else. The people who work on the ships do it because they want to no one is forcing them.

Tipping is a very American thing and as someone stated not very many people who work on there are American. The majority I've met are from the eastern block countries. So how does that work??

How do you know they get these tips. They never see them it goes into RCL massive bank account. At least they get dollars in their hand when I leave the ship

Tips are not a right

I know I shouldn't...

Tips are never mandatory. Ever. Not even in American restaurants. They are expected, however, as they gave you a personal service. You get to decide how much they get. Now, if you actually look at the breakdown of how that $12 gets distributed, then I dare say no one should be upset about how much it is. They deserve quite a bit more IMO.

No flame here you have your opinion i have mine.You tip the way you want,and i will tip the way i want.Also you are not paying tips for me,you are paying for your self.The tips i pay are for me not you.All mine will be in cash.No auto tips for me.Steveru621 have a great next cruise. :)

Like:)

To Langley Cruisers - yours was a very nice dignified post presenting a bigger picture of where the gratuities/tips go and so true regarding the cabin stewards, wait staff, and others that perform countless behind the scenes services - I personally believe they are worthy of the gratuity - but also respect others who feel differently.

In a perfect world, the Cruise Line would include this into the price of the cruise and hence avoid a lot of the dissent. Since they don't, the decision is left to the discretion of each person to either pay or challenge it with Customer Service and request adjustments accordingly based on your own personal situation.

Seems like an equitable solution to a passionate subject.

Tips are not a right

I don't believe you have read enough name tags on ships.....eastern block countries (the old Soviet Union countries -- just to clarify what you are referring to) have only been a small portion of the name tags and conversations I have had. South and Central America, India, Thailand and other Far East along with Canadians and Mexicans can be found aplenty.

I don't believe you have read enough name tags on ships.....eastern block countries (the old Soviet Union countries -- just to clarify what you are referring to) have only been a small portion of the name tags and conversations I have had. South and Central America, India, Thailand and other Far East along with Canadians and Mexicans can be found aplenty.

The point is that most americans are brought up with tipping, and I understand the reasons why. Most Brits do tip when we feel it is correct to do so but not to the same scale as some americans believe is expected.

I personally don't think it is right, to automatically add tips onto a customers bill, as clearly agreed it is discretional.

We all pay a lot to cruise and do so because we work hard and enjoy it. If you want to travel out of your own country you end up getting ripped off by the airlines to get there, even more expense.

I tip on what I believe is right, not what is set down by RCL.

I dont trust any large organisations who automatically take money from a customer, on the pre tense that it is for "the workers".

How do we possible know who gets what ??? Trust :confused:

Every ship has crew members from all over the globe, but some people on here seem to think because its an American shipping line then we have to tip like we do in a downtown manhattan restaurant and we all don't.

I know lots of people who still work at sea and some companies are better than others, just like on land. We are not going to make them all millionaires by tipping more.

At the end of the day its our hard earned money too.

I worked out that the amount i will pay on tips for my two weeks I could of brought my Mother along for a week. :confused::confused::confused:

I always do prepaid gratuities so it is added to my cruise price up front! I know what they say the break down is but I really don't give a rats a$$ how much of actually goes to my waiters, room steward, etc as I did what they recommended and without regards to how much they make or receive in basic pay. I really don't know or care to know or care to discuss with anybody on the cruise that topic. In addition to my pre-paid gratuities, I give a cash tip to my Room Stewards and Waiters at the end of the cruise. I base the amount I give them at the end of the cruise on how exceptional the provided service was.

While serving 20 years in the military, I have been in Europe, The middle East and The Far East and I was always with the mindset to do whatever the custom was in that particular country I was in niot thinking about if we did it in the US or not. It ehy tip in a particular country I tipped. If they didn't have that custom then I didn't tip. One thing about the short time I spent in England was that even though it was not the custom over there, on the military bases the British civilians that worked on the bases were more than glad to accept the tips they were given while working in the restaurants, since it was an American base and the American custom was followed on the base. :cool:

RCCL should keep records of where gratuities getting removed. If staff is getting stiffed more frequently when home port in countries that pay wait staff regular wages, as oppose to the US where tipping is mostly their wage and common practice understood, they should build it into the cruise fare.

Auto-tipping was likely put in place b/c tipping has gone down overall as more pax from various backgrounds now cruise or just the "me" mindset of doing what you can get away with that has evolved over the years. Perhaps more is needed specifically in other countries. Won't happen in the US b/c they don't want their fares to compare unfavorably if include service in with cruise fare and competitors don't. Hopefully most US pax get it b/c they have waited tables or know someone who has and "get" that tipping is usually around 18% for adequate service every time dine out.

Nothing they can really do about foreigners sailing from US ports who want to stiff the staff b/c airline fees are high or something else they've rationalized for how things 'should be' done ignoring cruise industry standards and customs. The rest of us must make up for it or there would be more turnover.

Or, you could just factor in the cost of gratuities when planning your cruise.

This! I never understand this argument, whether it has to do with cruises or restaurants! People say 'well they should just raise the price!' and act upset but it's the same flipping thing! Whether you get charged $20 extra in your cruise or you have the option of giving $20 extra to the person working for you (and yes, tipped employees are split as being employees of the company AND you as you are both expected by society and the good ol IRS to pay a portion of their pay based on performance) you are paying $20 more. Why the huge semantics over whether you get to determine the pay based on performance or whether the company charges you extra to pay your share? I don't understand it. And before anyone says 'they should get a decent wage!' I would NEVER have worked anywhere that paid flat instead of getting tips. I'm a very hard worker and great at what I do which means I usually exceeded 20% in tips. If I worked for a flat rate I'd make less.... I liked being given the option of making more money based on how hard I worked.

RCCL should keep records of where gratuities getting removed. If staff is getting stiffed more frequently when home port in countries that pay wait staff regular wages, as oppose to the US where tipping is mostly their wage and common practice understood, they should build it into the cruise fare.

Auto-tipping was likely put in place b/c tipping has gone down overall as more pax from various backgrounds now cruise or just the "me" mindset of doing what you can get away with that has evolved over the years. Perhaps more is needed specifically in other countries. Won't happen in the US b/c they don't want their fares to compare unfavorably if include service in with cruise fare and competitors don't. Hopefully most US pax get it b/c they have waited tables or know someone who has and "get" that tipping is usually around 18% for adequate service every time dine out.

Nothing they can really do about foreigners sailing from US ports who want to stiff the staff b/c airline fees are high or something else they've rationalized for how things 'should be' done ignoring cruise industry standards and customs. The rest of us must make up for it or there would be more turnover.

Get the wagons in a circle. Those pesky forgeigners are coming in to spend all their money. Keep them out. Americans only. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Get the wagons in a circle. Those pesky forgeigners are coming in to spend all their money. Keep them out. Americans only. Lol.

I don't think he meant it that way exactly and sorry if you took offense! I will say when I worked in NYC and Miami we charged a non-removable 18% for gratuity because so many people coming from non-tipping countries refused to pay a tip even when they got good service because they weren't used to it. What happened is no one took a job as a server and everything sucked. Who would work for no money? So to keep good servers, they did auto-gratuity. I almost always got 18% but usually they added a bit more as I'm very attentive and like to make my guests feel special and as if they are in my home and I'm their host. In countries (and in places where an auto grat is included) where they are paid the same wage for everyone the service is not nearly as good. I know that not only from my many friends from other countries that work in hospitality here but from many sites discussing the much higher service bar you get in the US. Why would you work harder for the same amount of money if you knew you would also never get a promotion or raise? That's just silly.

Have you ever though you may be a pest to foreigners ,And American's.Also if you kept all the foreigner's out there would be no American's. :)

This whole topic blows my mind. I've been on 1 cruise, and another is scheduled for November. I personally feel the pre paid tip amount is low. I was very surprised at the amount. On our last cruise we pre paid and gave our amazing steward an extra $40 on the last night for his service. We did not pay any additional tips to the dining room staff as we did your time dining and had a different server every night. If I did scheduled dining I'm sure I would have left extra.

Do people who want to remove the tips also not tip when they go out to eat on land? I just don't get it. There are always extra coats to a trip- airfare, rental cars, meals, gas, hotel to name a few. Port fees and gratuities should just be some of those extras you factor in.

Just my opinion.

Carnival Paradise 4/2014

Allure of the Seas November 2014

The sad part may be that 'some people' perhaps more than we think even, probably tip poorly or not at all when they go out to eat on land and perhaps for a variety of reasons which they all feel are good reasons (I will say excuses).

In truth, some industries like 'food services' wait staff employees are paid in many places less than even minimum wage and rely on tips for to make a living. Being a waiter or waitress has put many college students through school and some people have worked in restaurants for years to support their family.

To those that say, a person signed a contract to work for a cruise line, and knew what they were going to be paid and accepted it....they also expect tips.

I am not in favor of prepaying tips, months ahead of my cruise, because I don't like a company having my money in advance. But on a daily basis to post the gratuities to my seapass card while on board the ship is fine. I have been fortunate to have wonderful service and handed my waitstaff and cabin attendants envelopes on the last day of the cruise with additional money.

They do it this way because it is industry standard.

Not on many Australian cruises where the grats are now built into the price and cruisers can Tip or not Tip if they choose:)

My latest RCI booking out of Australia I have no option to remove pre paid grats, this is because Australian T&C,s explain gratuities as "A service charge" and not Tips:)

Not such a bad way to do things but Industry standard is not applied to all RCI customers:)

Well just to add a little information about pre paying gratuities at final payment. We all know that if you select MTD then gratuities are added at time of booking (or changing from traditional dining to MTD) so you will pay gratuities at final payment.

Now, this is the scenario in the UK if you use one of the large online cruise travel agents. RCI lays down sales targets on this agency (and thus the travel consultants are targeted in order to earn their salary) that 50%+ of all reservations for RCI and Celebrity MUST have prepaid gratuities. If the agency (and it's employees) do not achieve this 50% target, then RCI penalise the agency in terms of the commission it pays and the agency in turn penalises the employees by not paying them a % of their salary.

And before anyone says this can't happen, I can assure you it does as it was one of the T&Cs of an offer of employment to me to join this agency as a cruise consultant.

So all I can see in the future is more and more agencies encouraging us to prepay gratuities, whether we chose MTD or not, if this is the stance being taken by RCI towards agencies.

I can fully believe you as even when I book with RCI Australia direct for a cruise leaving out of Australia I am automatically charged pre paid Grats even when selecting Traditional dinning.

Like banning smoking on balconies eventually US customers will get used to the fact that cruise gratuities are not the same thing as cash they leave behind in a restaurant after the bill is paid but a "Service Charge" and then everyone will be happy to tip or not for good service:)

Make no difference to the crew for auto tip or cash tip. The cruise lines have an accounting system in place where they assume cash is given out and it is split appropriately. When a tip is not received they will loose out because they still Ned to share.

No matter what you think is best is wrong since the cash is still shared.

I believe this is completely inaccurate. Cash tips are not shared according to RC.

Cash tips are not shared only when gratuity target is met for each sailing!

Write to RCI and ask them if your cash tips are kept solely and wholly by those you have given them to but you remove your gratuities to do so:)

Cruiselines and staff are very careful in their wording! When you ask if cash Tips are kept or if you want to pay cash instead of auto gratuity it is presumed gratuities will been paid at 100% recommended and therefore cash tips can be kept by the staff member either as part of their gratuity percentage or all of extra and over amount!

Edited by fishtaco

The sad part may be that 'some people' perhaps more than we think even, probably tip poorly or not at all when they go out to eat on land and perhaps for a variety of reasons which they all feel are good reasons (I will say excuses).

In truth, some industries like 'food services' wait staff employees are paid in many places less than even minimum wage and rely on tips for to make a living. Being a waiter or waitress has put many college students through school and some people have worked in restaurants for years to support their family.

To those that say, a person signed a contract to work for a cruise line, and knew what they were going to be paid and accepted it....they also expect tips.

I am not in favor of prepaying tips, months ahead of my cruise, because I don't like a company having my money in advance. But on a daily basis to post the gratuities to my seapass card while on board the ship is fine. I have been fortunate to have wonderful service and handed my waitstaff and cabin attendants envelopes on the last day of the cruise with additional money.

I fail to see where USA tipping standards and principals apply to non USA ships and to non USA citizen that are not living in USA given those same standards and principals are not in place in the countries the cruise staff come from and are citizens of:confused:

It may be hard to believe but USA is in a huge minority in the developed world with their tipping practices and culture.

USA domestic staff are paid less than they should be to survive in the economy.

Cruise staff are paid more than they would if doing the exact same job same hours in their own place of residence, this gives them the initial advantage USA Domestic staff do not have re tips:)

I pay my gratuities because it has always been part of cruising for me, I also tip when warranted, usually a small amount to MDR staff and room steward as this also has been traditional for even non tipping cultures to do on a cruise but way too many in USA believe that the staff are dependant on tips like USA domestic staff which is not true:)