Cruising on Liberty out of Port Canaveral eastern Caribbean

crazyboys

First time for my 89yr old Mom to cruise and have talked her into taking her scooter with her. I have heard and read many good things with staff assisting when we check in. My main concern is having my Mom maneuvering the scooter on the ramp transition onto the ship. Any suggestions for her to make a smooth transition onto the ship? I am sure she will do just fine on the long ramp getting to the ship, it's just that "bump" getting on the ship that I am concerned with. I have cruised five times and can get her around just fine once on board.

First time for my 89yr old Mom to cruise and have talked her into taking her scooter with her. I have heard and read many good things with staff assisting when we check in. My main concern is having my Mom maneuvering the scooter on the ramp transition onto the ship. Any suggestions for her to make a smooth transition onto the ship? I am sure she will do just fine on the long ramp getting to the ship, it's just that "bump" getting on the ship that I am concerned with. I have cruised five times and can get her around just fine once on board.

Full size scooters with larger than 9" wheels tend not to have issues getting over the " Bump "

However portable travel size scooters (such as a Pride Go Go scooter) that have small wheels and a reduced clearance height will at times have a problem clearing that "Bump". The crews' first instinct is to just give the scooter a fast hard push. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DO THIS . Reason being that such an action can damage the motor rending the scooter useless.

Instead all mobility scooters have a "freewheel" lever. Most of the time its a yellow lever on the rear wheel casing. It generally has a Locked Icon and an Un-Locked Icon. Move the lever to the Un-lock position and than have the crew assist in lifting/pushing the scooter over the bump. Suggest you familiarize yourself with the location and operation of this feature prior to the cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Full size scooters with larger than 9" wheels tend not to have issues getting over the " Bump "

However portable travel size scooters (such as a Pride Go Go scooter) that have small wheels and a reduced clearance height will at times have a problem clearing that "Bump". The crews' first instinct is to just give the scooter a fast hard push. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DO THIS . Reason being that such an action can damage the motor rending the scooter useless.

Instead all mobility scooters have a "freewheel" lever. Most of the time its a yellow lever on the rear wheel casing. It generally has a Locked Icon and an Un-Locked Icon. Move the lever to the Un-lock position and than have the crew assist in lifting/pushing the scooter over the bump. Suggest you familiarize yourself with the location and operation of this feature prior to the cruise.

Thank you for this information, very helpful. We live in Texas and Mom lives in Deltona FL. We will arrive a few days before the cruise which will give us ample time to familiarize ourselves with the scooter and it's features. Thanks again xoxoxo cruiser!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I feel confident with the scooter issue for my 89 yr. old Mother (thanks to all CC members for their input), I wonder if anyone has any advice as to whether she should venture out at ports. Nothing elaborate such as excursions, but rather getting off and tooling around the shops and restaurants in the ports and such? I am trying to convince her that she should, but would take any advice pros and cons.

Now that I feel confident with the scooter issue for my 89 yr. old Mother (thanks to all CC members for their input), I wonder if anyone has any advice as to whether she should venture out at ports. Nothing elaborate such as excursions, but rather getting off and tooling around the shops and restaurants in the ports and such? I am trying to convince her that she should, but would take any advice pros and cons.

If your Mother is up to it she should certainly get off and scoot around the port. If you list the ports of call we might be able to give you some accessibility info for each one. The crew will assist your mother going down/up the gangway so that shouldn't be a concern. You see several people getting of in port with scooters or wheelchairs.

If your Mother is up to it she should certainly get off and scoot around the port. If you list the ports of call we might be able to give you some accessibility info for each one. The crew will assist your mother going down/up the gangway so that shouldn't be a concern. You see several people getting of in port with scooters or wheelchairs.

Thanks, my apologies, I meant to list the ports. Grand Turk, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan.