Can you still order more than one starter or entree?

FrancisJ

We will be cruisin' to Cozumel next Saturday on our 8th Carnival cruise and was wondering if Carnival still allowed us to order more than one starter or entrée? I always enjoy getting more than one shrimp cocktail or more than one molten lava cakes !!

As of 2 weeks ago YES you can order as much as you like off the menu, if there is something that you know you like that may not be on the menu the whole week you can request it from the waiter and they will do there best to get it for you.

Yes, in main dinning room. I am a fussy eater and sometimes, I just eat one of each starter and soups and dessert. My husband likes two entrees or more, only asking for associated items on one plate. We both clean our plates. Enjoy!

Not only do they allow it but the waiters typically encourage it. I often have 4-5 shrimp cocktails (those shrimp are small) and I usually knock out 3 lobsters on the night they have them. I do tell them up-front though...seems to help them stay on a smooth flow of delivery.

Yep.

On the old menu I'll order several of the duck appetizers. This will be my entree.

Depending on the waitstaff and table size they will either be served consecutively or together.

At least with the new menu you could get a double order of an app an get it on one plate.

Absolutely! I just returned from "Liberty", where they offer the "American Family" new menu, and had no problem ordering anything, and any amount I wanted. GREAT wait staff, and excellent food.

"SKY"

Yes, we do it all the time. We do it sometime to try a new or different menu item, along with something we've had before. On some nights I prefer the appetizers, soups or salads over what's being offered that night. Or I may have hit the Lido buffet a little hard at lunch and am not that hungry, but if it was a night we were planning to go to the MDR, I'll get dressed and still go.

I've always been too embarrassed to order more than one entree, but that's probably the result of both my insecurities and reading that Cruise Confidential book a few years ago. Although I will agree with a previous poster that a few cruises back our head waiter kind of forced multiple entrees on us on lobster/prime rib night.

I was at a table on a previous cruise where one of my tablemates and I shared a third entree on several nights. These were the St Louis Ribs... So tasty... I definitely get them twice on the 7day+ cruises.

I was on the Glory at the end of March and my waiter didn't let me have the fried shrimp instead of a starter :-(

I wanted that to start and then something different for the main course. But he said no, and made me feel kinda dumb for asking.

I was on the Glory at the end of March and my waiter didn't let me have the fried shrimp instead of a starter :-(

I wanted that to start and then something different for the main course. But he said no, and made me feel kinda dumb for asking.

He may not have understood what you meant as they tend to take things literally. No, you could not order the fried shrimp as a "starter" - but you could skip the appetizer and order two entrees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

He may not have understood what you meant as they tend to take things literally. No, you could not order the fried shrimp as a "starter" - but you could skip the appetizer and order two entrees.

This might be the case.

We've had some funny mix-ups with waiters who didn't speak great English. When one of my table mates asked for an order of escargot "for the table" (after we all got our own appetizers) we ended up with escargot for everyone at the table. (Luckily most people liked it.)

I actually kind of don't like that they push two entrees. You basically can't ask for an opinion on which dish is better- both times I've tried that (on different cruises) the waiter has said "they are both good" and moved to the next person, bringing me both. I think many people would think this is fabulous, and a luxury, but I am not the kind of person who eats two meals, so it seems wasteful.

This might be the case.

We've had some funny mix-ups with waiters who didn't speak great English. When one of my table mates asked for an order of escargot "for the table" (after we all got our own appetizers) we ended up with escargot for everyone at the table. (Luckily most people liked it.)

Funny Above! :D

This sort of thing happens ....

LuLu

You know what I love about Carnival? They don't say no. Seriously I can't remember a single 'no' from them. If it is reasonable it is done.

Took my nephew and he ordered 4 entrees in a certain order. as he finished the last bite of one, the next one was served. Amazing.

You can order extras, but be nice to the waiter and ask for them all when you place your dinner order (i.e. don't make him run back and forth repeatedly).

I went on a galley tour as part of the Chef's Table dinner, and the galley is set up with stations. The waiters go through and grab what they need at each station. Ordering things one at a time makes the waiter go through the line repeatedly and might throw off his timing.

I've always been too embarrassed to order more than one entree, but that's probably the result of both my insecurities and reading that Cruise Confidential book a few years ago. Although I will agree with a previous poster that a few cruises back our head waiter kind of forced multiple entrees on us on lobster/prime rib night.

Did the book Cruise Confidential say something about folks ordering more entrees? Curious...

Did the book Cruise Confidential say something about folks ordering more entrees? Curious...

It just said, like a previous poster said, that it's nice to at least order in advance. The galley is set up that they have set amount of time for such type of food (appetizer, dinner, dessert), so if the chain of desserts have started, the waiters have to go into a separate line and wait for your order. If you order upfront, the waiter can grab the extra plates and put them aside for you.

On the old menus you ordered an appetizer, soup, salad, and entrée. Most of the people I travel with still order that way even though the new menu has everything but the entrees grouped together as Starters. Many will not order both a soup and a salad but still get at least one other appetizer. The waiters always seem to know the correct order to serve them.

Edited by Miller_KC

I do not do it for the same reasons you listed. I like to read cruise books and all of them at least mention the ugly Americans stories and that always includes how much we eat. Multiple appetizers is a big one. This also appears to be a big hassle for the wait staff if those books are to be trusted. I doubt I will ever order two of anything again.

I am not sure why it is considered wrong to order multiple. The waiters don't seem to mind, at least the ones we've had. And they've actually encouraged it to try something different. As long as the waste is kept to a minimum, what is wrong with ordering multiple items? The portions are "normal" sizes, not like you get in the restaurants in the states. When I go on the cruise, I love to eat and try many different things.

So for me, they can say what they want... but I will continue to order this way.

It's not "wrong" to order multiple apps or entrees IMO, I just personally feel guilty doing so.

And as far as the Cruise Confidential book goes, it was written by an American who worked aboard a Carnival ship as a waiter. This is odd because, as any of us can attest, very few Americans work aboard cruise ships and if they do they're not likely in the dining room. A good deal of the book deals with the foreign crew secretly hating the way the American passengers act and how much they eat/order.

I'm not saying that this book is 100% factual and isn't sensationalized to sell copies, but I will admit that it changed my feelings toward the crew and forever changed my cruise experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums