Q. for Swizzle--Crowds?

jascruise

We're going to be on the Horizon in a couple of weeks. The Voyager (I think) will be at the Dockyards for a portion of our stay. Will the presence of all these ships create crowds, especially on buses and ferries? I thought that I read somewhere that there were great delays on the ferries caused by the influx of cruise ship passengers. On past visits, we have always found the ferries to be most convenient. Thanks.

We're going to be on the Horizon in a couple of weeks. The Voyager (I think) will be at the Dockyards for a portion of our stay. Will the presence of all these ships create crowds, especially on buses and ferries?

I can't speak about the crowding on the ferries but the buses will definately be crowded, especially with a large ship like Voyager in port. I'd expect the main tourist bus routes (#7, 10 & 11) to be crowded but Horizon doesn't go to Dockyards does it? If so then the crowds from the Voyager might not affect you too much. I'd still expect that buses would be crowded just from Horizon alone (1,400 passengers, maybe 800 using the bus, buses seat around 44 -- math says crowded buses)

I thought that I read somewhere that there were great delays on the ferries caused by the influx of cruise ship passengers. On past visits, we have always found the ferries to be most convenient. Thanks.

I don't take the ferries often (I live on the east side of Bermuda) so I couldn't tell you if this is true or not. If it does happen it wouldn't be too often as local commuters would be complaining.

Maybe other posters who have been to Bermuda on the Voyager can provide some insight? Anyone?

Horizon doesn't go to the Dockyards, but on past trips we have taken the ferries from Hamilton to the Dockyards, Somerset or other stops on that end of Bermuda. Didn't know if that would be feasible with a large influx of passengers.

And you are right, the we have found that the buses on the main (beach) routes get crowded.

Thanks for your help.

If you're in Hamilton and Voyager is in Dockyard then taking the ferry from Hamilton-Dockyard shouldn't be a problem as you'll be going in the opposite direction from the Voyager passengers (ie you'll be going Ham. to Dock. in the morning while Voyager passengers will be going Dock. to Ham.) The St. Georges ferry might be crowded but if you're in Hamilton you could always take the #1, #3, #10 or #11 bus instead.

If you're in Hamilton and Voyager is in Dockyard then taking the ferry from Hamilton-Dockyard shouldn't be a problem as you'll be going in the opposite direction from the Voyager passengers (ie you'll be going Ham. to Dock. in the morning while Voyager passengers will be going Dock. to Ham.) The St. Georges ferry might be crowded but if you're in Hamilton you could always take the #1, #3, #10 or #11 bus instead.

However The Dockyard it self will be mobbed with a ship this big in port. We berthed there on QE2 which is only half the amount of passengers and it was somethat crowded.

We are going on Zenith 10/1 and plan to make our Dockyard run on Monday (VOS 1st sea day). VOS will be in port Tuesday/Wed, so you may want to go there on Thursday from Hamilton and have the place more to your self. If you go from St George on Monday, that ferry takes a hour and service is limited.

Archived