Celebrity budget for food per passenger?

EvelynAlexa

Quote:

Originally Posted by cle-guy View Post

Can you cite your source please, it would be interesting reading.

(Repeat of June 23, post #19)

We just returned from the Vision of the Seas Bermuda cruise. In reading the RCL threads yesterday, it was posted. I mentioned it to DH. We are surprised at the $#'s therefore asked for comment.

Thank you for your response(s).

Eve

Edited by EvelynAlexa

At $14/ day that would be $28 for my wife and I. Mutlply that times 7 and that would be $196 for a week. I do not know if my wife and I spend that much on food. You have to consider that a lot of the grocery bill is not food related. Now consider that we are paying retail and I am sure that X gets their stuff closed to wholesale because of the bulk and they also buy whole sides of beef and etc and do their own butchering, baking, hand make ice cream, and etc so that sounds reasonable.

Interesting perspective. I DO keep account of how much we spend on food alone. We do not purchase very much processed food and probably spend well over the average UK food spend. In the first 22 weeks of this year, our weekly spend on food [for two adults] is approximately US$138 at today's retail exchange rate.

Interesting perspective. I DO keep account of how much we spend on food alone. We do not purchase very much processed food and probably spend well over the average UK food spend. In the first 22 weeks of this year, our weekly spend on food [for two adults] is approximately US$138 at today's retail exchange rate.

Good point. We spend even less than that per week for the two of us. When planning a special dinner for guest, we can exceed the $138 on one meal. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners easily exceed the weekly budget. Like a special restaurant meal, it's worth it for a good splurge. A local steak house is easily $150-170 for two for dinner.

Eve

Please tell me about the table setting in Celebrity's specialty restaurants.

I'm curious now re the crystal, silver, china and flowers.

Eve

We liked the stainless used in the Tuscan Grill on the Eclipse very much...so when we got home, I looked for the Oneida stainless on-line. I could not find the exact stainless which was matte, but it is offered retail in polished for $180 a place setting. I pursued it a bit further and found myself talking with the individual at Oneida responsible for providing their silverware to cruise lines. They made a special order for Celebrity in matte and although they do keep extras because of course tableware disappears, they wouldn't sell it to me. Darn! We haven't been back on the eclipse since, but they might just be short 8 place settings by the end of that cruise :). (I say that jokingly, but I know of folks who have "souvenirs" from their travels.

Good point. We spend even less than that per week for the two of us. When planning a special dinner for guest, we can exceed the $138 on one meal. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners easily exceed the weekly budget. Like a special restaurant meal, it's worth it for a good splurge. A local steak house is easily $150-170 for two for dinner.

Eve

Eve

I had deliberately used the figures for this year to avoid Christmas or any other special meals! Our Christmas turkey alone last Christmas cost us $138 and we also had beef for Christmas dinner!

Eve

I had deliberately used the figures for this year to avoid Christmas or any other special meals! Our Christmas turkey alone last Christmas cost us $138 and we also had beef for Christmas dinner!

Is that a (giant?) turkey for the Captains Table? Is it stuffed with oysters, truffles, or caviar?

I must ask about a turkey that cost $138.

Eve

Edited by EvelynAlexa

Is that a (giant?) turkey for the Captains Table? Is it stuffed with oysters, truffles, or caviar?

I must ask about a turkey that cost $138.

Eve

Eve

No, it was just for 6 people and not pre-stuffed but a special breed [Kelly Bronze], fresh [not frozen] and organic and ... Don't ask me what else because I do not [usually] like turkey and my husband selected it. Strangely, I actually liked this turkey but my husband thought that it was not worth the money! The turkey did come in a fancy box and with its own meat thermometer. You can buy turkey for much less in the UK but I am also sure that you can pay more.

Edited by Project_gal

I recently did a Celebrity/ Seabourn B2B. The food quality and preparation wasn't a fair fight obviously. I've sailed on Celebrity a lot..I've noticed a distinct decline in food quality as the fares have risen ....just MHO

That being said, I am still sailing on Celebrity this fall....

Well regardless (and with due respect to all), I reckon no matter how much per head the meals cost, if we are happy with our chosen cruise line, itinerary and the cost we have agreed to pay for our cruises, then surely we must agree cruising is great value for money - why would we agree to pay otherwise if we did not think it works (and we are all individuals making our own vacation decisions and we make these decisions based on our own wishes, requirements and budgets - and hopefully for all us 'foodies' we also make our decisions with the required research with the intention that our choice meets our taste-bud expectations - I admit, I am new to crusing so don't have a lot of history to compare - but like to think I can adjust my expectations to what's happening in the economy :).

Edited by Embrace

• 3 weeks later...
Eve

No, it was just for 6 people and not pre-stuffed but a special breed [Kelly Bronze], fresh [not frozen] and organic and ... Don't ask me what else because I do not [usually] like turkey and my husband selected it. Strangely, I actually liked this turkey but my husband thought that it was not worth the money! The turkey did come in a fancy box and with its own meat thermometer. You can buy turkey for much less in the UK but I am also sure that you can pay more.

Sue,

Thank you for the description of the pricey turkey.

The fancy box gave the bird a classy presentation.

The high cost made a good short story.

Your husband selected a "fun" turkey.

Eve