Renting house in NOLO pre-cruise. Are these decent neighborhoods?

scrapperluv

Hi all! I'm using VRBO to rent a small house for my family for a few days before the cruise. I've never been to NOLA and I don't know which areas to avoid. Here are the areas and streets some of the rentals are located on. Can you tell me if these are safe areas for a family with kids? Thanks!

Irish Channel: Constance Street and 2nd Street

Esplanade Avenue in French Quarter

St. Claiborne & Audobon (Garden District?)

Are there any areas to avoid around Magazine Street? I think that's the Garden District area and I'm considering a couple there.

Constance and Second street should be pretty nice.

I would stay away from Claiborne and Audubon.

Esplanade is a good area.

Magazine street ranges from really nice to really nasty. It would really depend on the cross street.

Your selection in the Irish Channel seems to be the best of the ones posted, if you are looking for the "outside the Quarter" experience. It would be a bus ride at a minimum to get to the Quarter.

Constance and Second street should be pretty nice.

I would stay away from Claiborne and Audubon.

Esplanade is a good area.

Magazine street ranges from really nice to really nasty. It would really depend on the cross street.

Your selection in the Irish Channel seems to be the best of the ones posted, if you are looking for the "outside the Quarter" experience. It would be a bus ride at a minimum to get to the Quarter.

Can you give me a general idea of which parts of magazine Street to avoid?

Also, I had read that there were some shady areas along Esplanade. Is that not true?

Thanks!

FYI - VRBO is probably not legal in New Orleans. They city cracks down on short term rentals during certain times of the year. I live in the suburbs, but I think anything less than 30 days is illegal.

all of those are good spots.

There is a lot of construction near Claibourne and Audubon but i's mostly college students and old money in that area.

Magazine only really has one bad patch and that is at Louisiana St. Other than that it's pretty gentrified now.

I would stay in any of those areas.

Espalnade you really don't want to be in Treme, but then again it's nicer now then it was years ago.