Planning first RCI cruise (past NCL)

I have sailed on two NCL cruises, and we are looking at now planning our first RCI cruise. We're just looking for something different.

We'd like the Eastern Caribbean this time. We've done the Western and Alaska.

Any suggestions on itineraries or ships? Is it worth the added cost for the Oasis or Allure?

Guest maddycat

When do you want to cruise. How long of a cruise do you wish to take? Where do you live? Are you with in driving distance of any cruise ports?

When do you want to cruise. How long of a cruise do you wish to take? Where do you live? Are you with in driving distance of any cruise ports?

We're looking to do a 7 day cruise. We live in Minnesota, so there would be a flight.

I'd consider Freedom out of Port Canaveral if you want something less expensive than Oasis / Allure.

That was the itinerary that drew my attention - CocoCay I think it was, Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg.

I love the look of Central Park so I was wondering if I was maybe missing something not doing that. I do like that flights to Port Canaveral are cheaper and seems to be straight through!

That was the itinerary that drew my attention - CocoCay I think it was, Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg.

I love the look of Central Park so I was wondering if I was maybe missing something not doing that. I do like that flights to Port Canaveral are cheaper and seems to be straight through!

Central Park is a certainly unique feature on Oasis/Allure along with Boardwalk.

What is the total difference in cost between going on Freedom and going on Oasis or Allure?

Central Park is a certainly unique feature on Oasis/Allure along with Boardwalk.

What is the total difference in cost between going on Freedom and going on Oasis or Allure?

Based on an interior room (we'd either get interior or balcony) but just to base prices (including taxes and fees and with their current 50% promotion):

Freedom: $1188 for promenade interior room

Oasis: $1722 for deluxe balcony

Based on balcony:

Freedom: $1625 for promenade interior room

Oasis: $2038 for superior ocean view

Itineraries:

Freedom: Port Canaveral, CocoCay, Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg

Oasis: Fort Lauderdale, Nasau, Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg

I have been on both the Freedom and the Oasis, I would say to pick the best itinerary, both ships are great.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Forums mobile app

Basically same itinerary for both ships, except Freedom goes to CocoCay and Oasis goes to Nassau for the Eastern.

I don't want to do Western again - I wasn't a fan of Jamaica.

Based on an interior room (we'd either get interior or balcony) but just to base prices (including taxes and fees and with their current 50% promotion):

Based on balcony:

Itineraries:

I'd personally rather go to Coco Cay than Nassau, so that would sway me to Freedom. However, the difference of around $400 for the balcony on Oasis is tempting.

How about you do Freedom first, and then do Oasis the next time?

I'd personally rather go to Coco Cay than Nassau, so that would sway me to Freedom. However, the difference of around $400 for the balcony on Oasis is tempting.

How about you do Freedom first, and then do Oasis the next time?

That's one thought I had, to start small.

We did that with NCL - Pearl first then Epic.

Can someone explain the Promenade view interior rooms? Is there a window showing the promenade?

Other than Central Park, is there anything else different between Oasis and Freedom specifically (that is important)?

If it makes a difference, we will not be participating in the formal nights. We'll probably just eat somewhere else those nights. We're not the types to dress up, which is what originally drew us to NCL.

That's one thought I had, to start small.

We did that with NCL - Pearl first then Epic.

That's funny, I'd hardly call Freedom small. But it is smaller than Oasis. I think you will be impressed at how well Royal does in dispersing the guests about the ship. I rarely feel crowded on a Royal ship.

That's funny, I'd hardly call Freedom small. But it is smaller than Oasis. I think you will be impressed at how well Royal does in dispersing the guests about the ship. I rarely feel crowded on a Royal ship.

Sorry - I'm not overly familiar with the RCI ships - I just assumed it was "smaller" since it looks to be a category below Oasis.

Sorry - I'm not overly familiar with the RCI ships - I just assumed it was "smaller" since it looks to be a category below Oasis.

Freedom is about the same size as Epic.

I Had to laugh, when you referred to the Freedom as small, but if you haven't been on either class of ship, then you wouldn't know. ;)

The Promenade room on the Freedom is like having a room with a window facing a busy street, with an apartment building right across the street from you. You have to keep the curtain closed, almost all of the time. You can see the parades from your window, or people watch, but I would prefer a window looking at the ocean, if I had to choose between the two.

Both the Freedom and the Oasis have lots to offer. The Oasis has the zip line, merry go round and is like spending a week at the fair. They both have Ice shows, and other neat features, and you would probably appreciate the Freedom more, if you try it first, then the Oasis.

About formal nights, you can eat in the main dining room, and feel comfortable, if you wear smart casual clothing. People use to dress up more in the past, then they seem to these days, so don't feel like you can't eat there, just because you aren't wearing a formal dress, or a suit on a guy.

Enjoy your cruise, which ever ship you decide on.

Based on balcony:

Itineraries:

I screwed up the descriptions. The top 2 prices are interior, bottom two are balcony.

Edited by paulav99

I Had to laugh, when you referred to the Freedom as small, but if you haven't been on either class of ship, then you wouldn't know. ;)

The Promenade room on the Freedom is like having a room with a window facing a busy street, with an apartment building right across the street from you. You have to keep the curtain closed, almost all of the time. You can see the parades from your window, or people watch, but I would prefer a window looking at the ocean, if I had to choose between the two.

Both the Freedom and the Oasis have lots to offer. The Oasis has the zip line, merry go round and is like spending a week at the fair. They both have Ice shows, and other neat features, and you would probably appreciate the Freedom more, if you try it first, then the Oasis.

About formal nights, you can eat in the main dining room, and feel comfortable, if you wear smart casual clothing. People use to dress up more in the past, then they seem to these days, so don't feel like you can't eat there, just because you aren't wearing a formal dress, or a suit on a guy.

Enjoy your cruise, which ever ship you decide on.

Thanks for the information everyone. It's VERY helpful.

I just told DH Oasis is bigger than the Epic, and I think that sealed his decision to do Freedom first. I thought he'd want interior because of the price, but he was actually good with the balcony price he didn't think it's much different so I was shocked.

Can someone explain the Promenade view interior rooms? Is there a window showing the promenade?

Other than Central Park, is there anything else different between Oasis and Freedom specifically (that is important)?

If it makes a difference, we will not be participating in the formal nights. We'll probably just eat somewhere else those nights. We're not the types to dress up, which is what originally drew us to NCL.

Exactly...you are in an interior cabin, with a window that overlooks the inside of the ship!! Pretty cool...