$100 tip for butler?

sho

So the butler only serves 5 cabins? Maybe $100 isnt enough after all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

If s/he serves 5 suites then that's not enough but I don't know many they served. I am just basing my formula on the 10k with 95 suites from other poster.

Ha ha ha what a card! I meant how many suites does one butler "serve"?

Our butler on the Gem in May was responsible for 14 suites.

The number of suites that a Butler serves has previously been quoted at about a dozen. That sounds about right given what I have observed, and read on here.

Based on that, it would mean tips of around $5,000 a month, based on full occupancy and no holidays if each suite gives $100 a week.

They then will share some of that I assume (there are assistant butlers and others who assist them).take into account holidays and add in a salary, the amount if which we don't know, and it all sounds about right to me.

Given what we know, I'd say that $100 a week is about right for each suite as an average. Some will tip nothing, some tip a lot more, but the average is probably at about that $100 level. Probably a bit more for large occupancy suites.

Another way to look at it is that $10 per person per day is often stated on here as being a base level for tips. Given the general reaction to that statement, it's quite clear to me that a significant proportion of people tip significantly less than that. If we say that there are on average 2.5 people per suite (a guess, but let's work with it), then $10 per person per day would be $175 a week per suite. Given that some won't tip at all, and most will tip less, $100 is probably not a million miles away from the average.

These numbers may be out, but they are based on reasonable assumptions, in my opinion, and may be wrong in either direction, so I'd be surprised if the results are far out.

Tip your $100 and I'm sure the Butler will be quite happy. At least you know he is more happy that he was with those who left nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned that the concierge is the butler's boss. No, the butler's boss is the hotel manager/director, and that is to whom one would complain if there were a problem with the way in which one were being butled.

Do not tip your concierge extra if you have superb butler service. They are not inter-related.

By the same token, if your concierge sucks, don't take it out on your butler.

Our best service has always been from the room steward, as the butlers are usually run ragged by the screamers and whiners. you KNOW who you are..elbow , elbow, wink wink- say no more!!!

On our second NCL cruise we saw our butler 4 times- each time he came to the suite just to apologize for not seeing us. The steward brought us cookies and fruit. No biggie. Pretty sure that the concierge was pleasantly clueless.

Nora

ps- I was told this by the hotel manager on the Pearl. He was a tall, strapping fellow. I did not have a problem with my butler. It just arose in conversation. I have also read it here on CC. ANd we all know that we can believe everything that we see on the internet!!!

Again, Nora

I was told by John D'souza the consierge on the DAWN, now on vacation his next assignment is the Jewel, that he is indeed boss of all the butlers on ship. When having dinner one night with Alain Magnier (DAWNs Hotel Director) we complimented to him how good the consierge and butler were. He made it clear that the consierge is the butlers boss. The Hotel Director is boss over them. Great butlers get promoted to consierges.

So name names, I did.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I was told by John D'souza the consierge on the DAWN, now on vacation his next assignment is the Jewel, that he is indeed boss of all the butlers on ship. When having dinner one night with Alain Magnier (DAWNs Hotel Director) we complimented to him how good the consierge and butler were. He made it clear that the consierge is the butlers boss. The Hotel Director is boss over them. Great butlers get promoted to consierges.

So name names, I did.

Wow. You told me. You are a better human being,

. What exactly is the purpose of your comment? I had the hotel director on the ship tell me what he told me. Obviously your dear friend Alain, told you differently. If I had remembered the man's name , I would have put it in my response. So while you are kind of right- the concierge ( spelling) is the supervisor of the butler, the HD is the ultimate boss.

I hope you feel better.

You are much more smarter than I am.

You know, what is the

Purpose of your post? You could have put the relevant info and then stopped. The need of some CC members to always WIN and put down/ belittle/ mock /chastise others is simply beyond me. It serves no purpose. But I suppose it makes you the big man/ woman, throwing names around . Good for you.

Golda Meir

Now THERE is a name!!

Love,

Dr. Nora

Edited by DrNora

Wow. You told me. You are a better human being,

. What exactly is the purpose of your comment? I had the hotel director on the ship tell me what he told me. Obviously your dear friend Alain, told you differently. If I had remembered the man's name , I would have put it in my response. So while you are kind of right- the concierge ( spelling) is the supervisor of the butler, the HD is the ultimate boss.

I hope you feel better.

You are much more smarter than I am.

You know, what is the

Purpose of your post? You could have put the relevant info and then stopped. The need of some CC members to always WIN and put down/ belittle/ mock /chastise others is simply beyond me. It serves no purpose. But I suppose it makes you the big man/ woman, throwing names around . Good for you.

Golda Meir

Now THERE is a name!!

Love,

Dr. Nora

I would have to say the purpose of my post was you. You did say I was wrong from my earlier post, did you not? I was only defending my comment from earlier.

I did not mock you or chastise. But if you are going to call me out, you best be right.

What is a "hero" card? Is it a thank you card or something supplied by NCL?

The "Hero" card is availiable at the service desk. It is a card you can fill out to bring someone you feel was a "hero" to you during your cruise. Must be a thank you on some level. It brings an employee to the attention of uppermanagment in a good way.

I think $100 is good starting point to cover the basics (coffee machine , daily treats). Then add to it for extra (in suite-dining, special requests).

I have already paid for coffee and daily treats, early embarkation etc. Since I wont have any special requests, I will not be tipping the butler or concierge

There will be 5 of us in a 2 bedroom in the haven on the Jade.

Are you thinking 100 per day per person - $500 seems a little much but also $100 seems a bit cheap.

We probably will not dine in the room but may have a few requests not quite sure yet.

Thoughts?

There will be 5 of us in a 2 bedroom in the haven on the Jade.

Are you thinking 100 per day per person - $500 seems a little much but also $100 seems a bit cheap.

We probably will not dine in the room but may have a few requests not quite sure yet.

Thoughts?

100 a day, much less 500 is nuts!!! Throw them maybe 200 total and your probably good. It depends what they do however

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

100 a day, much less 500 is nuts!!! Throw them maybe 200 total and your probably good. It depends what they do however

Sorry, I did not mean 100 per day i meant 100 x 5 people for 500.

I was thinking like 200 also

• 4 weeks later...

On another tipping thread I read a really good suggestion from someone about tipping the butler & concierge:

Tip them based on services rendered. Period.

For instance, if they deliver 2 Cagney dinners to your room tip 15%-20% of the cost of each meal each time ($4.50-$6 per person). Throw in a little extra for daily duties, and add it all up at the end of the cruise to figure out the tip.

For breakfast, lunch or non-specialty restaurants, or any other service they provide you, give yourself a rough estimate of how much these things would cost if you were to pay for them... Then tip them 15%-20%.

He said the butler tip ends up being about $105 per person at the end of the cruise. Which seems fair.

But if you don't use them other then their daily duties, I feel you should give them a little something for being "on call" for you. That's what they're there for.

Just my 2 cents (or 1 cent) :)

Edited by vinnytman

Anyone knows how high their ordinay salary is? I mean: if every suite tips $200 a week and a butler handles 10 suites a week... that would be a very well paid job.

I'm not saying people should slow down on tipping, tipping should be done in respect with the requests that have been made.

Ah....I said average cabin not person so that's a different. However, if I were to spend 5k on a cruise, I think an extra 5% ($250) of my total cruise cost for my butler is not a whole lot and I wouldn't feel it in my wallet. Of course, my butler would take care everything including all my reservations. I've been on 30+ cruises and just back from the Breakaway and will be going on the Gem this fall to New England. There's no such thing is a bad cruise and if people are willing to spend thousands on a cruise what's a few extra bucks for the servers?

I can't imagine measuring the tip for anyone based on the cost of the cruise: based on the length yes!

Assuming the butler is given $140.00 for seven days for two people in a suite. Assume he is responsible for ten suites. That's $1,400.00 per week.

Now assume he works 15 hours per day. That works out to $13.33 per hour. How many of you folks work for that amount?

And don't forget, he probably has to share some of that with his relief person.