First time Cruiser -Oosterdam questions

Nerfball6

Hi all,

I hope you will forgive for asking some noob questions about the Oosterdam. I've never cruised before and will be leaving in about three weeks for Alaska on a 7-day cruise/4 day land journey. Sailing out of Vancouver and ending in Fairbanks, with a stay in Denali. As I've been preparing for the trip, a few questions have been coming to mind I hope you won't mind answering.

1. Are there self-serve ice machines on each deck (like in a hotel)?

2. Is the water out of the bathroom tap purified to use in a water bottle? (I plan on using water and water-flavoring mix packets for most of my drinks and for excursions)

3. How much does it cost for a load of Laundry? I know there are no self-service machines on this ship and that I'll need to use the ships laundry. I'm guessing it's not cheap.

4. Is there a way to string up a cloths line on the balcony if I choose to wash some clothes in the bathroom sink?

5. Are the dinners on the 2 formal nights included in the price of the cruise?

6. What non-alcoholic drinks are included in the price of the cruise?

7. Are you allowed to take plates of food back to your room from the buffet if you want to eat on the balcony?

8. If I want to walk from my cabin to the pool or hot tub, are flip flops ok? Do I need to wear a robe over my swimming suit, or will a t-shirt be OK? I'm male BTW.

9. are Walkie Talkies a good idea to communicate with my relatives in another cabin?

I'm sure I'll have more as I get close, but I appreciate any answers and advice you can give me.

Thanks!!

Edited by Nerfball6

Hi all,

I hope you will forgive for asking some noob questions about the Oosterdam. I've never cruised before and will be leaving in about three weeks for Alaska on a 7-day cruise/4 day land journey. Sailing out of Vancouver and ending in Fairbanks, with a stay in Denali. As I've been preparing for the trip, a few questions have been coming to mind I hope you won't mind answering.

1. Are there self-serve ice machines on each deck (like in a hotel)? Ice is supplied by the room steward twice a day or from room service as require

2. Is the water out of the bathroom tap purified to use in a water bottle? (I plan on using water and water-flavoring mix packets for most of my drinks and for excursions) Can be used as it comes.

3. How much does it cost for a load of Laundry? I know there are no self-service machines on this ship and that I'll need to use the ships laundry. I'm guessing it's not cheap. There are self service laundries . $2 per wash and $2 per dry.

4. Is there a way to string up a cloths line on the balcony if I choose to wash some clothes in the bathroom sink? Probably will get blown away when moving.

5. Are the dinners on the 2 formal nights included in the price of the cruise? All diners in the MDR and Lido are included

Only coffee ,tea and Ice tea in the Lido.

7. Are you allowed to take plates of food back to your room from the buffet if you want to eat on the balcony? No problem

8. If I want to walk from my cabin to the pool or hot tub, are flip flops ok? Do I need to wear a robe over my swimming suit, or will a t-shirt be OK? I'm male BTW. Yes

9. are Walkie Talkies a good idea to communicate with my relatives in another cabin? Don't usually work well because of all the steel that is used.

I'm sure I'll have more as I get close, but I appreciate any answers and advice you can give me.

Thanks!!

You'll also get other answers as well.

There are no self-service laundries on the Vista class ships, Oosterdam included. There's a special usually; $20 a bag for laundry, the bag can be found in the closets. Or you can pay by the item or pay for unlimited laundry as explained on the sheet you'll find in your cabin or closets.

The shower will have a laundry line that extends across the shower as you find in many motel rooms. Hanging anything outdoors will likely blow away or at least be full of salt.

Many people report using walkies successfully at sea. So long as their use is discrete, many people won't notice them but you many get some annoyed looks and comments.

The water produced on board and/or loaded in port is quite drinkable and suitable for all uses, in my opinion.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by 0bnxshs

Welcome to cruise critic.

There are lots of opinions on here. But the best advice I can give you is to not worry too much ahead of time. HAL has a good reputation, and it's amazing how quickly you can relax and let their amazing crew take care of you while on board. If you have any questions or concerns, ask a crew member. They will go out of their way to try to make your trip your best ever.

Hi all,

1. Are there self-serve ice machines on each deck (like in a hotel)? No ice machines, but just ask your room stewards and they will fill your ice bucket for you.

2. Is the water out of the bathroom tap purified to use in a water bottle? (I plan on using water and water-flavoring mix packets for most of my drinks and for excursions) The tap water is purified, very drinkable, and better than many city water supplies.

3. How much does it cost for a load of Laundry? I know there are no self-service machines on this ship and that I'll need to use the ships laundry. I'm guessing it's not cheap. Your best deal is the "stuff the bag with as much as you can for $20" deal. It is amazing how much you can fit in those bags.

4. Is there a way to string up a cloths line on the balcony if I choose to wash some clothes in the bathroom sink? Laundry lines on the balcony don't work well for many reasons, but each cabin has a retractable clothes line in their tub/shower stall that works well. I usually pack a few clothes pegs to make it easier for me.

5. Are the dinners on the 2 formal nights included in the price of the cruise? All meals are included in your cruise fare except those you eat in the alternatative restaurants (Pinnacle , Canaletto, Tamarind). Formal night dinners in the Main Diinng Room are no extra charge.

6. What non-alcoholic drinks are included in the price of the cruise? Coffee, Tea, Milk, juice in the Lido and MDR, Ice Tea, hot chocolate, and lemonade. Note that if you want to get most of these items at the Explorations Cafe, they will be an extra charge. The best choice for included beverages is in the Lido.

7. Are you allowed to take plates of food back to your room from the buffet if you want to eat on the balcony? Yes you may take food back to your cabin to eat. You can also call room service 24 hours a day to have something delivered if you are comfy and don't want to venture out to get it yourself. Note that you should leave any empty dishes, cups, silverware, etc. in your stateroom for the stewards to remove. Do not place them outside your door in the hallway. They are dangerous in case of emergencies.

8. If I want to walk from my cabin to the pool or hot tub, are flip flops ok? Do I need to wear a robe over my swimming suit, or will a t-shirt be OK? I'm male BTW. Flip flops and a tshirt are perfectly acceptable to wear to the pool, but are not to the dining room. :)

9. are Walkie Talkies a good idea to communicate with my relatives in another cabin? Walkie Talkies can have real issues on board a ship as there is a lot of metal, and many cruisers take exception to their use. If you want to contact family in other cabins, there are many phones throughout the ship that you can use (no charge) to call them. Very easy, and you know you will have good reception.

Thanks!!

I hope this helps. Have a great cruise. Alaska is amazing. We've been 3 times with HAL, and there is still so much more for us to see. Enjoy.

Edited by Davidson Duo

If you have the time check out my review from Oosterdam, it will let you know what to expect and there are more than 200 photos of my AK trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046463

Outstanding review and pics! And really like your blog. There is a real need for this sort of info. I considered doing a similar one myself, but am too much of a luddite to do a decent job of it :).

Great choice! We've done the Oosterdam to Alaska and thoroughly loved it! We had "just" a mini-suite compared to a full suite on the 2 cruises on another line since the O and while the "suite life" is great the "standard" treatment on HAL is wonderful.

She's a fine ship with great service, tasty food, and is large enough of a ship to have enough options for a cruise newbie but not too large to be a meat market.

We've repeat cruised on a different line for multiple reasons (port, itinerary, price, etc.) but would have to admit HAL is our favorite.

The prior responses from the other posters are right on in terms of answering your questions. So relax and enjoy! With the cruise you're about to take you'll be bitten and be taking many more in the future.

Thanks so much everyone for all the great responses. You've answered those questions and more. I'm sure I'm way over thinking everything at this point. I'll be traveling with my Dad, brother in law and sister, and getting pretty excited.

First time cruise, AND first time to Alaska. I can't wait. And everybody says the same thing about how great it is. Interestingly, I wouldn't have probably picked Alaska for my first cruise but it's a place my Dad has always wanted to go. Now, I think it was the perfect choice.

If you have never been to Alaska -- you will love it.

I haven't had the chance yet to go through the whole thread yet, but it looks great!!! I'll finish it up when I get back from work. I really appreciate you taking your time to do that!

If you have the time check out my review from Oosterdam, it will let you know what to expect and there are more than 200 photos of my AK trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046463

Hi all,

1. Are there self-serve ice machines on each deck (like in a hotel)?

NO, there are not. But as said, your room steward will provide ice every day and you can always ask for more.

2. Is the water out of the bathroom tap purified to use in a water bottle? (I plan on using water and water-flavoring mix packets for most of my drinks and for excursions)

YES, water from taps on HAL ships is filtered and potable.

3. How much does it cost for a load of Laundry? I know there are no self-service machines on this ship and that I'll need to use the ships laundry. I'm guessing it's not cheap.

THERE IS NO SELF SERVICE LAUNDRY on the O!!!! Laundry is usually $25 per bag or piece by piece (yes, expensive)

4. Is there a way to string up a cloths line on the balcony if I choose to wash some clothes in the bathroom sink?

NOT REALLY, but your bathroom tub will come with a clothes line over it that you can set up.

5. Are the dinners on the 2 formal nights included in the price of the cruise?

YES -as long as you eat in the Main Dining Room.

Just water, juices and iced tea in the Lido buffet.

7. Are you allowed to take plates of food back to your room from the buffet if you want to eat on the balcony?

YES

8. If I want to walk from my cabin to the pool or hot tub, are flip flops ok? Do I need to wear a robe over my swimming suit, or will a t-shirt be OK? I'm male BTW.

Flip Flops are normal for pool or hot tub area. T-shirt is okay. IMO looks better than a robe. Just don't wear your WET suit in the Lido restaurant.

9. are Walkie Talkies a good idea to communicate with my relatives in another cabin?

In another cabin? I would just use the phones in your rooms? Walkie talkies could be used around the ship though...

You will adore the Oosterdam~ Have fun!

Edited by Moriah

Years ago, one of our cabin stewards showed us the "service closet" right across the hall from our cabin. There was an ice machine and an assortment of clean glassware. He said to help ourselves if we needed ice or glasses and he wasn't nearby. He did ask that we use the ice scoop, which certainly makes sense. Now, I'll wait for the replys saying how horrible and unsanitary this is. :D

Years ago, one of our cabin stewards showed us the "service closet" right across the hall from our cabin. There was an ice machine and an assortment of clean glassware. He said to help ourselves if we needed ice or glasses and he wasn't nearby. He did ask that we use the ice scoop, which certainly makes sense. Now, I'll wait for the replys saying how horrible and unsanitary this is. :D

It is horrible and unsanitary. Sorry to keep you waiting. I was on the phone. ;)

I was the same way about Alaska. To me cruises meant palm trees and sand. But my DW wanted to go to Alaska and it was the only one of the 50 states I hadn't set foot on so I surprised her with an Alaska cruise for our 35th anniversary.

And so I was officially converted! I loved it - even the cloudy, rainy times which surprised me as a sun lover. Then 2 years after that first one we took a 10-day Alaska cruise to some different ports.

And now I even track ship deck cams on Alaska cruises and dream about returning a third time!

Hey Nerfball. We are on the same sailing as you. :) Hope you and your family have a great time!

Thanks so much!!! Starting to get a little nervous now, and obsessing about packing and what to take. ;)

I was the same way about Alaska. To me cruises meant palm trees and sand. But my DW wanted to go to Alaska and it was the only one of the 50 states I hadn't set foot on so I surprised her with an Alaska cruise for our 35th anniversary.

And so I was officially converted! I loved it - even the cloudy, rainy times which surprised me as a sun lover. Then 2 years after that first one we took a 10-day Alaska cruise to some different ports.

And now I even track ship deck cams on Alaska cruises and dream about returning a third time!

Fantastic!!! Hope you get to go again!